The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27743
    edited December 2020
    Gutted for George but he so obviously has The Talent that he showed in F3 and F2. And if it had to happen to George I’m really pleased it was Checo who picked up the win, after running last on lap 1. 

Get that man a Red Bull deal...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The usually ice cool Toto swearing live on Tv....he he he. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    Toto Wolf on Sky Sports, 'its was a colossal fuck up'
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24864
    Apparently UAE rules means that Hamilton won’t be allowed in next week.

Maybe GR will get another go this season. 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    Apparently UAE rules means that Hamilton won’t be allowed in next week.

Maybe GR will get another go this season. 
    I'm hoping so, out of all the rookies he deserves it
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27743
    edited December 2020
    On the current rules here (and assuming no special dispensation) Lewis will need to test negative within 48 hours of travel, so to enter on Thursday he'll have to have a test result on Tuesday or Wednesday, so it doesn't look good. 

That said, he might be able to come in on a private plane and isolate and have another test on Thursday, as the track is only about 3 miles from the airport and there is a corridor of closed roads between the two (they've been doing UFC in the same area and using the same hotels for isolation etc)

I hope Lewis is safe and well but I really hope George gets another run and a win to finish the season. 

Edit: we also have a mandatory 2-week quarantine with GPS tracking watches (NOT FUN...) but obvious that’s just be being waived for the whole F1 circus as they will be arriving together, staying together and leaving without mingling with outsiders, so should be ok
  • Wow!  You have to feel for George.  That was a fantastic race from someone who has always been at the back of the grid, really showed Bottas up.  But was a mess was that pit stop.  Bottas actually did well to hang on to his final position given the age of tyres he was driving at that point.

Perez coming from last to win.  OMG, that not something you see often, and Verstapen driving himself into a wall - if i were Horner, Id be sacking him and asking George to sit in next year.

I think the position on Lewis for next week is unclear, but I hope George gets another go.

• BrioBrio Frets: 1962
    Perez coming from last to win.

Didn't Button do that twice in Canada 2012?

• BrioBrio Frets: 1962
    2011!!!!
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7731
    I don’t understand Merc’s comment about a radio malfunction in the pits. Do they normally radio the garage before every stop to say “ok we’d like you to not mix the 2 drivers’ tyres up and fit an illegal mixed set” ?
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7292
    edited December 2020
    From context, I suppose the pit crew weren’t expecting Russell to come in and had Bottas’s tyres out.

Total farce.  Gutted for both drivers; Russell deserved the win, and Bottas was left on old rubber looking like a clown after the restart.
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 216
    edited December 2020
    Before the race start, I thought this was going to be the first race in a long, long time that someone else (Verstappen) could finally battle with the almighty Mercs. Sadly, Leclerc totally f*cked up not only his but also those of Verstappen and Perez. But Perez came back, and how! What a drive from last to first. If I were him, I'd would go and see Marko & Horner now and simply say "so, can we talk about a seat then?".

Imagine being Bottas. First he loses the start to Russell and being it equal cars on equal rubber, all he can do is follow. Then Merc screws up both pitstops so he has to continue on the same worn set of tires.

Apart from Russell's obvious talent, that car is so damn dominant and easy to drive that I think any F1 driver can win in that car. That is... all except Bottas screwing it up all the time (and his team for him, he had such bad luck this year)...
  • Best race for ages
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3410
    It turns out that Netflix were filming Merc for their episode on Drive to Survive... Merc don't have a very good track record when they are being filmed, it would appear.....!
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • PC_Dave said:
    It turns out that Netflix were filming Merc for their episode on Drive to Survive... Merc don't have a very good track record when they are being filmed, it would appear.....!
    If that's true I wonder if they'll tell Netflix to get lost next season. It's great for us as fans but not good if it's interrupting their normal ops
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    Emiel said:
    Before the race start, I thought this was going to be the first race in a long, long time that someone else (Verstappen) could finally battle with the almighty Mercs. Sadly, Leclerc totally f*cked up not only his but also those of Verstappen and Perez. But Perez came back, and how! What a drive from last to first. If I were him, I'd would go and see Marko & Horner now and simply say "so, can we talk about a seat then?".

Imagine being Bottas. First he loses the start to Russell and being it equal cars on equal rubber, all he can do is follow. Then Merc screws up both pitstops so he has to continue on the same worn set of tires.

Apart from Russell's obvious talent, that car is so damn dominant and easy to drive that I think any F1 driver can win in that car. That is... all except Bottas screwing it up all the time (and his team for him, he had such bad luck this year)...
    I agree. 

No doubt Russel is talented, but I think several other drivers would be dominant in that motor too. 

The birds eye of the start showed max’s pace off the line, he would have had the Mercs. And that would have made a damn good race! I reckon Leclerc would have been battling up there with Perez too.. 5 of them all up front. 

The pit stop was a royal fuck up! Feel sorry for Russell but he is young, he will have plenty of opportunity I think. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    What a race, on what I thought would be a shit track!

Russell gave the best drive I've seen for absolutely ages. It ain't often I'm screaming at the telly but I sure as shit was last night. Taking aside Merc's astonishing pitlane fuck-up, dare I say this but it was like watching Bottas and Hamster battling on track, especially that awesome overtake.

Whilst Perez is to be congratulated, Russell would have won that race, no question about it. Merc should get him in a car pronto.

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3410
    skunkwerx said:
    Emiel said:

I agree. 

No doubt Russel is talented, but I think several other drivers would be dominant in that motor too. 

The birds eye of the start showed max’s pace off the line, he would have had the Mercs. And that would have made a damn good race! I reckon Leclerc would have been battling up there with Perez too.. 5 of them all up front. 

The pit stop was a royal fuck up! Feel sorry for Russell but he is young, he will have plenty of opportunity I think. 
    This point has come up a lot, and it is irking me somewhat. It's not just about being able to put the boot down and drive fast that makes a driver dominant - it's racecraft, and split second decision making. That's why Hamilton is 7 time WC, and why others are not. Yes, there are other drivers who would be quick in that car, but I don't think there are many who would be dominant. Bottas is a prime example........
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Wis @PC_Dave - almost any F1 driver could win some races in that car. But not multiple championships - that takes consistency and grit far above anything Bottas has shown so far. Russell absolutely showed hints of that yesterday. Granted they were on different tyres, but Bottas has been in the midfield a few times the last couple of years and not been able to push through the field, while Hamilton usually gets back up to at least 4th or 5th in the same position - Russell reminded me far more of Lewis yesterday.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24864
    PC_Dave said:
    Nope.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd