The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6308
    Yes he did it. And this nasty piece of oligarch-spawn has a history of this stuff: https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/k4snkn/nikita_mazepin_and_his_problematic_behaviour_a/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27695
    edited December 2020
    I saw the video on Reddit earlier - it’s precisely as described. I already knew he’s a cunt but nice to have further evidence. 

Haas should fire him and hire Ilott, who is a much better driver anyway. Hopefully his backers have already given a hefty down payment - you’d expect Haas would want one after the Rich Energy bullshit. Or Perez if RB don't want him. Or let RoGro have another year. 

I see Haas have put out a statement: "Haas F1 Team does not condone the behavior of Nikita Mazepin in the video recently posted on his social media. Additionally, the very fact that the video was posted on social media is also abhorrent to Haas F1 Team. The matter is being dealt with internally and no further comment shall be made at this time."

To me, that reads pretty clearly as "We know we have to say something quickly. We are reading the contracts and talking to our lawyers and have no intention of keeping him in the team but need to understand the implications of that."
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24843
    I saw the video on Reddit earlier - it’s precisely as described. I already knew he’s a cunt but nice to have further evidence. 

Haas should fire him and hire Ilott, who is a much better driver anyway. Hopefully his backers have already given a hefty down payment - you’d expect Haas would want one after the Rich Energy bullshit. Or Perez if RB don't want him. Or let RoGro have another year. 

I see Haas have put out a statement: "Haas F1 Team does not condone the behavior of Nikita Mazepin in the video recently posted on his social media. Additionally, the very fact that the video was posted on social media is also abhorrent to Haas F1 Team. The matter is being dealt with internally and no further comment shall be made at this time."

To me, that reads pretty clearly as "We know we have to say something quickly. We are reading the contracts and talking to our lawyers and have no intention of keeping him in the team but need to understand the implications of that."
    I hope that's right.

His driving last weekend was so bad he shouldn't be allowed a SL in the first place, but this new thing is appalling.

I just hope Haas have the balls to turn down a highly likely apology payment from his daddy.

I wonder if Ferrari would be less than impressed if that shithead was powered by a Ferrari engine.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• ColsCols Frets: 7273
    Hamilton’s recovered from COVID, back to Williams for Russell.

Bit disappointed George didn’t get another crack at the Merc :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5893
    Cols said:
    Hamilton’s recovered from COVID, back to Williams for Russell.

Bit disappointed George didn’t get another crack at the Merc :(
    I don’t think he’ll have to wait too long 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    As much as I wouldn't wish anyone to be ill, it's a shame.

• Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    Missed qualifying  today but after reading I'm thinking it may be a bad decision to put Hamilton  back in the car so soon 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24843
    Rich210 said:
    Missed qualifying  today but after reading I'm thinking it may be a bad decision to put Hamilton  back in the car so soon 
    Did you see the bags under his eyes?
    He’s knackered.

Qualy is one thing. Full race... I’m not convinced that’s safe. 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

Agreed its a bad idea. Just hope nothing bad happens. The doctors should pull him
    Can't believe he's in the car. He should have sat it out, he's nothing left to prove this year.

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2954
    edited December 2020
    Race was pretty dull, but well done to Max, who controlled it right through.  Hamilton looks beat and could do with a week in bed.  

Revelations this year:  
    Mclaren have really pulled their socks up and next year looks like it might be even better.
    Ferrari need to go back to the drawing board and sort out their car.
    Hamilton is clearly the greatest driver of all time - and will extend his records next season. 
    The halo device clearly works and saves lives.

Just 94 days till the start of the next season.

Missed the race, but it sounds like Hammo would have been better letting Russel have another go in his car. I'm really pleased with how Maclaren have pushed the boat out this year - about time they used all the learning from past mistakes to turn out a quick car! 

Hopefully at some point next year fans can get back in the stands and our favorite drivers can decorate each other in bubbly. 
  • Russell could have won that. 

Super boring race otherwise but very glad for McLaren. Next stop Mercedes engines. Sad to see Carlos leaving but very happy to get DannyRic in return.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508
    Interesting pre-race comments from Alonso, “most of the drivers on this grid could win in the Mercedes”. 

Except Bottas apparently. 
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 216
    edited December 2020
    Let's be honest... Toto Wolff said that all Merc powered cars were hampered by MGUK problems (some say they lost 4 tenths or more because of that), so that left room for Verstappen and the McLaren's to jump in. It was a boring race but who could have thought with choosing such a track. I'm looking forward to 2022 and hoping that the change of regulations will favour other teams this time. 2021 will be another Merc walkover I bet   I think they stopped development of the current car a long long time ago...
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1949
    They stopped in the summer. 
  • ColsCols Frets: 7273
    Yet another race where I was grateful for stepping away from the full Sky F1 package and just watching C4 highlights instead.  Mind you, Abu Dhabi is always a dull race.
  • Ted’s Notebook reporting last night that Perez to RB is a done deal, with Albon to be test driver for a year after.

I hope it's true. It would be a shame to lose Albon entirely, but RB need to try and put the best drivers they can in their car (both fastest and most consistent) and out of those two that means Perez. 

See also Vettel handing out beers to his Ferrari guys after the race - around 5:30 below. Combined with his lovely message to Charles at their helmet swap it reinforces how much of a decent guy he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuAKQNb1zw0
    Shame George Russell didn't get another shot at it. I can't help but think the race would have been more interesting if he had. as it was, it was boring, with the front runners nursing their tyres. I do think the FIA should mandate more than one stop for tyres.

Albon will be collecting his P45, and Perez will get a chance to prove himself. I might soon be eating my own words, though.

• Emiel said:
    Let's be honest... Toto Wolff said that all Merc powered cars were hampered by MGUK problems (some say they lost 4 tenths or more because of that), so that left room for Verstappen and the McLaren's to jump in. 
    What's really interesting here is the post race conference - watch the video and neither Bottas or Hamilton had a clue re the supposed power reduction when Max brought it up - so either Toto is lying, Hamilton and Bottas don't know anything about the cars they drive, or Toto has put down the marker that he can do what he wants to the cars if he wants to : 

https://www.sportvideos.tv/video-lewis-hamiltons-surprised-reaction-in-press-conference-after-race/