The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• In shocking news, the 39 year-old, 2-time champion and 32-time race winning "young driver" Fernando Alonso topped the timesheets at the ironically-titled young driver test. I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'm looking forward to his debut next year - I think he shows promise...  :s
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5893
    In shocking news, the 39 year-old, 2-time champion and 32-time race winning "young driver" Fernando Alonso topped the timesheets at the ironically-titled young driver test. I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'm looking forward to his debut next year - I think he shows promise...  :s
    They could have put him in his Minardi. That would have been brilliant. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24843
    In shocking news, the 39 year-old, 2-time champion and 32-time race winning "young driver" Fernando Alonso topped the timesheets at the ironically-titled young driver test. I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'm looking forward to his debut next year - I think he shows promise...  :s
    Somewhat embarrassing for Vandoorne. There he was moaning about not getting LH seat for the one race and now he gets beaten in a Renault.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7273
    Sir Frank is in hospital in a stable condition.  Fingers crossed for him.

Sir Frank Williams 'stable' after going in hospital, says family in statement https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/55325530
  • In shocking news, the 39 year-old, 2-time champion and 32-time race winning "young driver" Fernando Alonso topped the timesheets at the ironically-titled young driver test. I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'm looking forward to his debut next year - I think he shows promise...  :s
    Somewhat embarrassing for Vandoorne. There he was moaning about not getting LH seat for the one race and now he gets beaten in a Renault.
    Well it’s not like it’s new info that Fernando is dramatically better than Stoffel... you can bet ‘Nando was on a low fuel glory run for headlines too
    Ilott's got the Ferrari test driver gig for next year.
    Nice.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27695
    edited December 2020
    Good stuff for Ilott. I can still see him taking Mazepin's seat - he must be first in line. 

I see McLaren have put out a rather lovely "We love having you guys as rivals, please look after Carlos" message to Ferrari, all in Italian. It's quite charming. I'm absolutely loving the current McLaren team and attitude - Zak Brown has worked wonders
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • And Tsunoda confirmed for AT. Won't be long before an RB announcement, one assumes..
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Wolff has confirmed Bottas will be driving for Merc next year. Still no announcement about Hamster, though.

• Whilst I am a fan of Lewis, all of this talk to get him recognised in the New Years Honours list falls short of the mark. 
    I get it that he's great but as a resident of Monaco why should he get such an Honour from the UK? 
    He is a citizen in name only. 

I do feel that if you don't pay UK tax then you shouldn't get within a mile of such honours. 

Just sayin'. 

BINO - British in name only. Harsh but fair I think. 

I can't wait for next season however the demise of Williams and Sir Frank being poorly isn't good reading. Am a huge fan of theirs.
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Injured Veteran and head injury survivor. Bouts of grumpy behavior and brutal humor are to be expected.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Epi LP Custom
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
    FastEddie said:
    Whilst I am a fan of Lewis, all of this talk to get him recognised in the New Years Honours list falls short of the mark. 
    I get it that he's great but as a resident of Monaco why should he get such an Honour from the UK? 
    He is a citizen in name only. 

I do feel that if you don't pay UK tax then you shouldn't get within a mile of such honours. 

Just sayin'. 

BINO - British in name only. Harsh but fair I think. 

I can't wait for next season however the demise of Williams and Sir Frank being poorly isn't good reading. Am a huge fan of theirs.
    He pays tax all over the world in the places he races in. Some of them take it at the source.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/54965544

Sean Connery got his KH even when he was avoiding the UK like the plague.

He deserves it. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6308
    Toto signs for another three years at Mercedes:

• Good move - stability through getting the new car out of the 2022 regs and 2 seasons to get it fixed if they're not still at the front. Interesting that Toto and Ineos have both bought some of Merc's shares though - all parties now equal shareholders with 1/3 each. 

I'm guessing synthetic & sustainable fuels will become the big push for the next set of regs. Seems a good idea to me - use renewable energy to create sustainable fuels, then use those fuels to make batshit noisy racing cars. Hopefully...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27695
    edited December 2020
    Good for Checo. Pressure is on now..!!

But as I said earlier, it's a great move for everyone involved except maybe Albon:
    • Checo gets a properly good car to fight for podiums and wins if he can get on top of it, and keep up with Max.
    • Max (probably) gets a better rear gunner. 
    • Albon stays on the payroll for COVID duties and will likely go back to AT if/when Gasly jumps ship - he's been linked to Renault for 2022. Or if Checo flounders his stock actually might go up as it will show the car is definitely tricky, and/or Max is definitely just that quick.
    • RB get to have their cake and eat it, and again understand exactly where Max sits on raw speed, while getting great feedback from one of the most experienced guys on the grid who has driven plenty of cars good & bad. 
  • Great news for Perez.  Far too good a driver to have been out fo F1.  Next year is looking interesting.

• prowlaprowla Frets: 5007
    A couple of the most blatantly obvious secrets revealed there, then!
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7710

But as I said earlier, it's a great move for everyone involved except maybe Albon:
    • Checo gets a properly good car to fight for podiums and wins if he can get on top of it, and keep up with Max.
    • Albon stays on the payroll for COVID duties and will likely go back to AT if/when Gasly jumps ship - he's been linked to Renault for 2022. Or if Checo flounders his stock actually might go up as it will show the car is definitely tricky, and/or Max is definitely just that quick.
    • RB get to have their cake and eat it, and again understand exactly where Max sits on raw speed, while getting great feedback from one of the most experienced guys on the grid who has driven plenty of cars good & bad. 
    What'll be REALLY interesting is if Perez finds it hard to put in consistent results in that car. Like Gasly and Albon. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyO said:

What'll be REALLY interesting is if Perez finds it hard to put in consistent results in that car. Like Gasly and Albon. 
    Which will show that the car is engineered to enable max to get the most out of it, won't it?

If so, the 2nd RB driver is just a poisoned chalice unless you happen to have a similar style to max.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!