The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    edited July 2021
    I'm sure Richard Mille can get him another one (not excusing anything, obv). 

English "fans" covering themselves in more glory though... 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8892
    tFB Trader
    Interesting how several articles mention the value of the watch and the car. These figures are completely irrelevant to the story. I’d say the experience was bloody terrifying. It makes no difference if it was a £20 watch and Ford Focus.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Interesting how several articles mention the value of the watch and the car. These figures are completely irrelevant to the story. I’d say the experience was bloody terrifying. It makes no difference if it was a £20 watch and Ford Focus.  
    I'm not sure they are irrelevant - I bet Lando was targeted as the muggers saw his car and watch - the latter was removed in seconds which means the muggers knew what they were doing. Had he got a cheap watch I bet nothing would have happened.

I'm willing to bet the muggers were hanging about looking for wealthy people leaving the expensive Wembley seats. In December 2020 a gang flew into London and in a 13-day spree netted £26 million in watches, jewellery, and cash. Frank Lampard's house was targeted and multiple people were mugged on the streets for their watches. There are organised crime gangs doing well out of this activity.

I hope Lando's OK for the weekend.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @Fretwired that was my assumption too. Not difficult to go round the area while the match is on working out where the nice cars are and tailing people as they walk back to them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    A feast of F1 this weekend in the UK. Different timings and a sprint race. Lots of action on Friday:

Friday 16 July

Pirelli British Grand Prix - Practice 1 at 14:30
    Pirelli British Grand Prix - Qualifying 1 at 18:00
    Pirelli British Grand Prix - Qualifying 2 at 18:22
    Pirelli British Grand Prix - Qualifying 3 at 18:45
    Pirelli British Grand Prix - Sprint Grid at 19:00

Sat 17th July

Pirelli British Grand Prix - Practice 2 at 12:00
    Pirelli British Grand Prix - Sprint Race at 16:30

Sun 18th July

Pirelli British Grand Prix - Race at 15:00

Quali on Friday seems odd but the sprint race could be entertaining, although Hamilton thinks it will be a procession.

I can’t see how the sprint and race can both be good unless quali is an unmitigated disaster effective resulting in an upside-down field. I hope I’m wrong 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Minimal points on offer it'll be a procession for the top guys not wanting to risk compromising the full race. Could be interesting nearer the back, but I can't see it being 17 laps of elbows out racing (but would be pretty fun if it does play out that way).

At least they've moved Quali back in the day so it's after school/work kick-out time.
    I can’t see how the sprint and race can both be good unless quali is an unmitigated disaster effective resulting in an upside-down field. I hope I’m wrong 

Agreed. Quali will set the grid for the sprint race. The result of the sprint race will set the grid for the race. At the sharp end, it should be between Mercedes and Red Bull in quali and the sprint race. The sprint race should favour some of the guys who have a good race pace but aren't so hot at a single lap like Perez and Ricciardo. It could throw up some surprises.

Minimal points on offer it'll be a procession for the top guys not wanting to risk compromising the full race. Could be interesting nearer the back, but I can't see it being 17 laps of elbows out racing (but would be pretty fun if it does play out that way).

I think it will depend on the start - for example, if Hamilton's on pole and Verstappen jumps him at the start (or vice versa) then it could get tasty. I also suspect that McLaren v Ferrari could be interesting if they are close on the grid, and Perez will want to be ahead of at least Bottas so there could be some interesting battles. And if Norris has some great pace he'll want to be in the mix at the front. McLaren will want to finish third in the Constructors Championship.

On the other hand, Hamilton could be right - a procession to protect the engine and gearbox.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Thanks for posting the schedule @Fretwired I’d been searching for that for ages!

Having now read and inwardly digested, I really hope I’m wrong, but to me it has all the signs of an unmitigated fuck up. Unless conditions change, and it rains.

• ColsCols Frets: 7727
    I’m pretty sure the drivers will be under orders to be on their best behaviour for the sprint race and not to try anything too ballsy - the risk/reward ratio for chancing a daring overtake just in order to gain a grid place doesn’t make sense, when the outcome could be getting dropped to the back.

On top of that, they’re still going to be getting babied around the 17 laps by their engineering team, being coached how to drive in order to have the right balance of speed, tyre wear and temperatures.

If they really wanted to make the sprint race interesting they should just kill the telemetry and pit-car radio for the duration.  See who can keep the car on the island for 17 laps.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1424
    There'll be some very cautious front runners and others with nothing to lose in the sprint race, I'm sure Max and Lewis will jump out of the way if Charles or Lando are getting spicy in the first lap!

I think it's something that should be better than a qualifying session, and if nothing else F1 can use this as a reason to drive improvements towards better on-track racing rather than rely on the pit-stops for action. 

Cols said:
    I’m pretty sure the drivers will be under orders to be on their best behaviour for the sprint race and not to try anything too ballsy - the risk/reward ratio for chancing a daring overtake just in order to gain a grid place doesn’t make sense, when the outcome could be getting dropped to the back.

On top of that, they’re still going to be getting babied around the 17 laps by their engineering team, being coached how to drive in order to have the right balance of speed, tyre wear and temperatures.

If they really wanted to make the sprint race interesting they should just kill the telemetry and pit-car radio for the duration.  See who can keep the car on the island for 17 laps.
    I’d love to see team radio limited to warnings of stuff on track, chatter about other drivers, and direct pit instructions. 

And no changeable brake-by-wire modes etc etc as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2021
    Wasn't driver coaching via radio banned a long time ago?

• Anyone going this weekend? I know one lucky git who ordered a ticket back in the winter. I mocked him at the time, thinking "never gonna happen". Proper jealous now! 
    No, they tried then realised it was easy to use coded messages so relented. 

Shame, would have been interesting to work out the likes of, “The cock crows loud, before dawn” and “It’s safe to go to the cinema.”

• ColsCols Frets: 7727

Shame, would have been interesting to work out the likes of, “The cock crows loud, before dawn” and “It’s safe to go to the cinema.”
    Hamilton and his engineer do it a lot to mess with the competition.  “Can’t go much longer on these tyres” means “the tyres are fine, I can go for another 15 laps no problem” and suchlike.
    Marco blames Hamilton for wrecking Albon's career ... it's laughable .. he's obviously trying to wind Hamilton up before Sunday's race.

Fascinating ... Victorian F1 car testing with hilarious Manscape advert for a shaver and ball cream for your gentleman's area .. :-)