The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5946
    It really is smiling in one eye and crying with the other at McLaren now. Sooooooo happy to see Lando closing in on the front but gutted not to see Daniel there with him. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4222
    Landooooo, you beauty :)

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27895
    edited July 2021
    Phenomenal results for Lando and George. Lewis must be praying for rain tomorrow and a better balance and pace in Silverstone in a couple of weeks.  

Serious memories of Vettel/Webber with Lando & Ricciardo this year. Tricksy car requiring an unorthodox driving style that the young upcoming star finds easier to get hold of than the older Aussie. I hope DannyRic can make it work, though I guess next year is a fresh start anyway, so that gives hope.

And George!  Not even 10th in the end - most likely 8th after Vettel's expected penalty
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4272
    Just turned on Sky Go to watch the race, and there was a girl rocking out on a gold Ibanez. Wasn't expecting that!
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4222
    Loved the Rock version of the National Anthem, very Red Bull

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24907
    Bullshit penalty for Norris. Even Horner thought it was a racing incident.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Probably cost him a podium :(
    edited July 2021
    Okay, if Perez doesn’t get a 5 second penalty there I’m going to really frown!!   p
    Yeah, fairly ridiculous. 

And Perez just did the same thing to Leclerc who was actually nose-ahead… I hope they give him the same penalty!
  • Good race I thought. The Alonso/Russel battle was really good driving from both parties.

Was also nice to see Lando get the reception he did. Seems to be a very popular boy, and an even better driver. I think the combo of him and Ricciardo make for probably the most likeable team around.

Have to also laugh at Bottas, he couldn't look less enthusiastic if he tried. Although who can blame him really.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    Lando is just brilliant. Love him not only for his driving but for being the person who can slap down George the way he did without being a twat. 

Also have wonder if there are any wry smiles at McLaren or Honda watching Alonso being interviewed about the fight for his point (singular) finish. 
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2960
    What was Kimi up to on that last lap. 

• melodmelod Frets: 136
    edited July 2021
    What was Kimi up to on that last lap. 
    At first I thought he was entirely at fault but seeing it from a different angle it looked like vettel thought he had cleared kimi and came left a bit too soon.

edit: yep all Kimi s fault.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    dazzajl said:

Also have wonder if there are any wry smiles at McLaren or Honda watching Alonso being interviewed about the fight for his point (singular) finish. 
    Please explain .. I don't get it .. ;-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Fretwired said:
    dazzajl said:

Please explain .. I don't get it .. ;-)

I am really glad Alonso is back, he’s always a full on competitor but also, no one else says degerAdation the way he does 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7310
    Norris left Perez absolutely no room on the outside.  Disappointed that he got a penalty, but you shouldn’t just be able to run another car off the track, shrug and say “I was just taking my racing line”.

Horner was bright enough to label it a racing incident because he’ll remember Verstappen winning the race two years ago by shoving Leclerc off in a similar but more full contact manner; he put him on the outside and ran him out of road.

Perez should’ve been black flagged for putting Leclerc off the road twice.  At least he had the good grace to apologise to Charles after the race.

That’s five wins in a row for Red Bull.  Not looking good for a thrilling title fight between Lewis and Max.

That’s five wins in a row for Red Bull.  Not looking good for a thrilling title fight between Lewis and Max.

Yeah, i'm hoping that because 4 of the last 5 have typically been "RB tracks" that Silverstone will be closer, but if it isn't you gotta assume that's the end of the title fight. 

Then next year we get to through all the pieces up in the air and find out which team(s) has got it spectacularly wrong and who has found whatever neat loophole we'll be talking about for the next 5 years... :/ 
    Cols said:
    Norris left Perez absolutely no room on the outside.  Disappointed that he got a penalty, but you shouldn’t just be able to run another car off the track, shrug and say “I was just taking my racing line”.

Horner was bright enough to label it a racing incident because he’ll remember Verstappen winning the race two years ago by shoving Leclerc off in a similar but more full contact manner; he put him on the outside and ran him out of road.

Perez should’ve been black flagged for putting Leclerc off the road twice.  At least he had the good grace to apologise to Charles after the race.

I agree with the room on the outside rule but I also agree with the part where the attacking driver has to have earned that right by being in front. It’s not enough to make a lunge in the braking zone and then expect the other driver to give you the place. 

I’m glad Perez got penalised too because at least the rules were applied evenly. It would have been better to allow them all to race though in my book. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7310
    Absolutely - you can’t just ease your nose alongside someone’s rear wheel and then bleat “he pushed me off!”.  The racing room has to be earned - I believe the regulation is having a significant portion of the car alongside.

For the Perez/Norris incident, they were side by side.  In fact, Perez was slightly ahead on the approach to the corner.  It was reasonable for him to expect a car’s width of space to the edge of the track, which he didn’t get.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1350
    You could find hundreds of examples where hanging on around the outside ended in the gravel with no suggestion of a penalty being applied.  

It makes sense; by hanging on around the outside, in the blind spot, you are increasing the risk of collision. 

I don't feel like Norris intentionally deviated from the line to crowd Perez to the edge of the track.