The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24897
    Fretwired said:
    Nitefly said:
    Bit weird that - let 140,000 in, but only 10K at the rugby final. And the footy gets 60K.

Full house at Wimbledon Centre Court finals as well:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/57511659

Again, a global audience. There's a pattern. BoJo has also given in over the VIPs for the Euro final - no need for jabs or quarantine.
    And yet at an international event the chance of tracking the punters in a so called "test event" is basically nil if they've all gone home abroad.

At last the rugby will be stuffed with home grown fans who can be tracked. Makes far more sense from a data acquisition POV.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oopsie daisy Valterri...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7780
    Ouch 
    Red ones are better. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Just seen the footage. Could have been really nasty for the McLaren pit crew. Justified penalty for sure. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    Isn’t the pit lane part of the racetrack? I’ve seen far worse when two cars are side by side racing each other down the pit lane. 
    Isn’t the pit lane part of the racetrack? I’ve seen far worse when two cars are side by side racing each other down the pit lane. 
    No.

No racing allowed in the pit lane and they have speed limiters. They might be side by side but someone has to yield for the exit and they will be penalised if they don't.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27858
     Yep. I'm guessing they'll be looking at a "no wheelspin in pitlane" rule like WEC. I'd honestly slow pitstops down quite a bit and have more manual involvement - hence more potential jeopardy - but I don't make the rules. 

I see this morning that F1 is moving from Sochi to Igora Drive outside St Petersburg from 2023. Looks a good track - gotta be better than Sochi, though I'm guessing it'll be pretty cold - most northerly location by (literally) miles. I think the current north-est is Zanvoordt, assuming we get there this year
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ColsCols Frets: 7305

I see this morning that F1 is moving from Sochi to Igora Drive outside St Petersburg from 2023. Looks a good track - gotta be better than Sochi, though I'm guessing it'll be pretty cold - most northerly location by (literally) miles. I think the current north-est is Zanvoordt, assuming we get there this year
    Another bland, featureless TilkeTrack.  It can’t be worse than Sochi, but I’m not expecting memorable racing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2959
    edited June 2021
    Im not sure that was that great a race.  It does however confirm that Red Bull have made up and surpassed Mercedes.  With another race so soon next week, there is no time for Merc to do anything so its likely to be very similar next week.  Lewis must be beginning to see championship No 8 look like a difficult one this year.  I realise that we are not yet half way through the season but its going to take something extraordinary or some Red Bull reliability issues to start making a difference.

Yeah, file under "ok". Some will they/won't they intrigue but no real battles to speak of - passes either happened relatively easily or they didn't. 

Lewis needs RB to fuck up, or for Merc to have some kind of setup or engine breakthrough at this point. The RB is simply the quicker car and with Perez quicker than Bottas he is now in the position Max has been in the last couple of years. 
    tFB Trader
    If that was as boring to watch as it was to listen to on the radio I’m very glad I don’t pay for Sky!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Fretwired said:
    Nitefly said:
    Bit weird that - let 140,000 in, but only 10K at the rugby final. And the footy gets 60K.

Full house at Wimbledon Centre Court finals as well:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/57511659

Again, a global audience. There's a pattern. BoJo has also given in over the VIPs for the Euro final - no need for jabs or quarantine.
    And yet at an international event the chance of tracking the punters in a so called "test event" is basically nil if they've all gone home abroad.

At last the rugby will be stuffed with home grown fans who can be tracked. Makes far more sense from a data acquisition POV.

I agree about the rugby. There's one rule for us and another for BoJo and his chums. BoJo has meekly given in to those who run the events with a global audience. Holding the G7 Summit in Cornwall was another bright idea. But we can't go on holiday.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited June 2021
    Yeah, file under "ok". Some will they/won't they intrigue but no real battles to speak of - passes either happened relatively easily or they didn't. 

Lewis needs RB to fuck up, or for Merc to have some kind of setup or engine breakthrough at this point. The RB is simply the quicker car and with Perez quicker than Bottas he is now in the position Max has been in the last couple of years. 

According to Wolff, there will be no major upgrades this season - resources have been switched to next year's car. So it could be Merc will have to wait until next year to bounce back. I see Mercedes have opened negotiations with Hamilton for next year (wanting everything sorted out early) and I bet if those go OK it will be Russell in the second Mercedes. Apparently, Wolff rates Norris - could he replace Hamilton when he retires in a couple of year's time? A Norris/Russell combination would be awesome.

Defeat is written all over Wolff's face:

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Yeah, completely agree. Monaco and Baku were no biggie really, but losing in France AND Austria as well is not good for the prospects going forward. 

They’d be nuts to ignore Russell after this weekend - running 8th on merit while his teammate was at the back. Granted Latifi’s lap 1 incident not his fault but he was then in clean air and didn’t make inroads. Meanwhile Norris is in front of Bottas in a categorically worse car because he maximises that car basically every weekend. 

Russell & Norris would be an incredible pairing - they were both astounding in F2 and have been just as good in F1, considering their respective cars. 

Kudos to Sainz as well. I’ve always thought him better than most rate him. Super calm race today nana maximised a result from a shitty quali setup
    tFB Trader
    Hard to believe they managed to milk 7 mins and 3 secs of a review for Youtube. Imagine how long it would have been if something interesting had happened!
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2959
    i understand that there are big changes for next year, but Mercedes stopping any development on this years car seems highly shortsighted.  Either 1), they knew early on that it would cost too much to try to keep up with Red Bull, due largely to the very different design philosophy that the cars have, or 2) they were arrogant enough to believe they were a very long way ahead and would just walk away.  Lewis seems to have gone onto this season believing he was in with a chance, so I cant believe its 1).  

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1349
    Time for Lewis to prove what he is worth.  We'll allow the Baku mistake but if that was the last race of the season with it all on the line I doubt he'd get such understanding. 

Not just the car though!  Greatest ever and all that!  Yeah!  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    sinbaadi said:
    Time for Lewis to prove what he is worth.  We'll allow the Baku mistake but if that was the last race of the season with it all on the line I doubt he'd get such understanding. 

Not just the car though!  Greatest ever and all that!  Yeah!  
    So Max only won because of the car then? 

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Perfect race for Max. And it bodes well for him going into the next Austrian snooze-fest. But as for the track, I honestly thought I’d never be so bored watching Max stick it to the Mercs. I guess it’ll be a repeat performance next time around.

Russell needs to be moved into a Merc. Right now.

Praying for rain next week. That would make it very interesting..