The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Andrew Benson's view of Sunday's race:

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12532
    TimmyO said:
    Simonh said:
    I think Merc knew that Hamilton wouldn't be able to chase Verstappen down and pass him so I think you are right, leaving him out at least gave him a chance of victory whereas pitting him again almost certainly took that away. I do however think they should have pitted Bottas again as that would have given him a chance of third that leaving him out took away.
    I was convinced they'd split strategy once Verstappen 2-stopped - maybe they were seeing data that made it an obviously worse idea that they didn't want to share over the radio 
    Did seem odd that they didn’t pull Bottas in. It was getting more and more obvious that Perez was going to get past him at some point and he wasn’t going to get on the podium with the shit tyres he’d got, so I’m not sure why they didn’t just cut their losses and put him on new tyres. They could’ve gone for fastest lap if nothing else. 
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1360
    a fastest lap attempt for bottas seemed like a no brainer to me as well, he had the gap, but again I think they knew they didn't have the pace so it was just increased risk for no benefit.
  • Simonh said:
    a fastest lap attempt for bottas seemed like a no brainer to me as well, he had the gap, but again I think they knew they didn't have the pace so it was just increased risk for no benefit.
    Yeah that was the most bizarre thing in the whole race for me with regards to strategy. Was essentially a 'free' pitstop so he wouldn't have lost any points, and it was a chance to grab back one extra point from Max/RBR, and every last point may count in such a tight season.

Maybe I'm missing something. Anyone else seen/read anything to suggest why they didn't let Bottas have a pop at the fastest lap?
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Didn’t they claim it was to keep him within 5 seconds of Perez who they expected to get a penalty, but didn’t?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7305
    Possibly they’re terrified to pull Bottas in for anything other than the bare minimum number of pitstops, in case he misses his marks by 10mm and they’re forced to demolish his wheel nuts again.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Didn’t they claim it was to keep him within 5 seconds of Perez who they expected to get a penalty, but didn’t?

^^

This is what Wolff said.

This is pathetic ... let the excuses begin .. whatever happened to 'we win as a team and we lose as a team' .. ? Mercedes are rattled.

It doesn't seem to occur to Mercedes that Verstappen was the best driver on the day, backed up by Perez,  in the fastest car and that RB didn't put a foot wrong strategy-wise. Horner says he was surprised at the power of the undercut.

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2959
    Fretwired said:
    This is pathetic ... let the excuses begin .. whatever happened to 'we win as a team and we lose as a team' .. ? Mercedes are rattled.

It doesn't seem to occur to Mercedes that Verstappen was the best driver on the day, backed up by Perez,  in the fastest car and that RB didn't put a foot wrong strategy-wise. Horner says he was surprised at the power of the undercut.

They have been so used to winning for so long that this has them rattled. 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27858
    New Yas Marina changes confirmed

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27858
    New Yas Marina changes confirmed

Much faster approach to hairpin and they've rounded off all the slow square bits. Should be a big improvement
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Silverstone confirmed to have a proper crowd this year...

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/12340593/british-grand-prix-silverstone-to-welcome-full-capacity-crowd-for-formula-one-race-in-july

Damn, wish I'd booked the time off work and got some tickets! Didn't think there was a cat in hell's chance of there being spectators allowed so didn't bother this year.  :p
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24897
    Bit weird that - let 140,000 in, but only 10K at the rugby final. And the footy gets 60K.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• ColsCols Frets: 7305
    The justification given is that Silverstone is a massive site, so overcrowding is easier to avoid in comparison to a sports stadium.

Also, $$$.
    Cols said:
    The justification given is that Silverstone is a massive site, so overcrowding is easier to avoid in comparison to a sports stadium.

Also, $$$.
    The footy and F1 race will be broadcast to a large global audience. BoJo will want to show the world that the UK is open for business post-Covid.

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4954
    Bit weird that - let 140,000 in, but only 10K at the rugby final. And the footy gets 60K.

Full house at Wimbledon Centre Court finals as well:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/57511659

edited June 2021
    Nitefly said:

Full house at Wimbledon Centre Court finals as well:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/57511659

Again, a global audience. There's a pattern. BoJo has also given in over the VIPs for the Euro final - no need for jabs or quarantine.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    At the risk of bringing politics into the thread (something we have managed to avoid thus far), I find both the FIFA thing, and Silverstone, incomprehensible when we are all supposed to be maintaining social distancing.

I only hope those events don't fuck it up for those of us who do abide by the rules. and I should also say that I wouldn't go to Silverstone, or any other large gathering,  even if I was given a  free ticket.

That's it, I'm saying no more on the subject.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Just watched the second practice - Valterri managed to spin coming out of his pit box!! One of the weirdest, most embarrassing spins I've ever seen!

Good job it wasn't busy in the pit lane as that could have been properly dangerous...

Danny Ric seems to have found some pace again this weekend, and now the Alpines are showing a bit of form too.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24897
    I just saw the Bottas spin - proper rookie mistake.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd