The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited June 2021
    Praying for rain next week. That would make it very interesting..

The forecast is for dry conditions.

I'm pretty sure Hamilton backed off his pace yesterday so he didn't thrash his engine.  He knew he couldn't beat Verstappen who was able to create and easily maintain a 5 second plus lead during the first stint and controlled the race from lights out to the flag. Mercedes will be hoping RB has some engine reliability issues. Max has upped his game and RB has finally given him a car on a par with the Mercedes.

Bottas was anonymous and was off the pace as usual, and had Perez pitted a couple of laps earlier for his brand new medium tyres he'd have been on the podium. I suspect the Mercedes board will be asking Wolff why he doesn't swap Bottas for Russell asap. Perez has become a serious threat to Mercedes winning the Constructors Title.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 217
    edited June 2021
    I am surprised that Mercedes decided not to bring any updates this year and focusing on 2022. They have basically handed the championship over to Red Bull/Max.

There really is a big difference in qualy pace and race pace between the teams. From Norris onwards, the whole field got lapped. Is that just about tire management? 
  • ColsCols Frets: 7310
    Emiel said:
    I am surprised that Mercedes decided not to bring any updates this year and focusing on 2022. They have basically handed the championship over to Red Bull/Max.

There really is a big difference in qualy pace and race pace between the teams. From Norris onwards, the whole field got lapped. Is that just about tire management? 
    I suspect Merc are budget limited and have already committed their expenditure to 2022 development.  They’re effectively frozen for 2021.  In the meantime, RB brought a whole new floor and diffuser to Austria.

Yes, the race was all about tyre management.  Overtaking was only possible with a massive pace advantage, so once drivers were in position they just settled down to looking after the tyres and not stressing the engine, with the odd bit of pushing around the pit stops.
    Cols said:

Yes, the race was all about tyre management.  Overtaking was only possible with a massive pace advantage, so once drivers were in position they just settled down to looking after the tyres and not stressing the engine, with the odd bit of pushing around the pit stops.

I also think the temperature caught the teams out - it was far hotter than forecast on race day. Verstappen and Hamilton were in clean air most of the time whereas the rest were bunched up. A hot track meant hot tyres, brakes and cooling issues for some teams. Mercedes do not do well at hot tracks.

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1350
    sinbaadi said:
    Time for Lewis to prove what he is worth.  We'll allow the Baku mistake but if that was the last race of the season with it all on the line I doubt he'd get such understanding. 

Not just the car though!  Greatest ever and all that!  Yeah!  
    So Max only won because of the car then? 
    Oh no I'm sure he is now the all-new greatest driver of all time.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emiel said:

Allison now on the defensive, saying that they do actually have updates and developments to come in 2021...

BBC News - Formula 1: Mercedes will 'make our car faster'
    Emiel said:

Allison now on the defensive, saying that they do actually have updates and developments to come in 2021...

BBC News - Formula 1: Mercedes will 'make our car faster'

Interesting. The world's fastest U-turn?

• ColsCols Frets: 7310
    Doesn’t sound like anything monumental - “there's some more aerodynamic change in the offing, a little bit of PU we hope on the delivery side, and a few things that are not quite as tidy as we would wish that we still have the opportunity to put right”.  A few minor tweaks.

Of course, it might just all be mind games, and Merc are actually going to rock up at Silverstone with a brand new firebreathing engine and a whopping new aero package.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27894
    Cols said:
    Doesn’t sound like anything monumental - “there's some more aerodynamic change in the offing, a little bit of PU we hope on the delivery side, and a few things that are not quite as tidy as we would wish that we still have the opportunity to put right”.  A few minor tweaks.

Of course, it might just all be mind games, and Merc are actually going to rock up at Silverstone with a brand new firebreathing engine and a whopping new aero package.
    I would pay to see Horner’s face… :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cols said:

I thought all engine development had been frozen for 2021.

Fretwired said:
    Cols said:

I thought all engine development had been frozen for 2021.
    Reliability updates only. But of course greater reliability = turning it up more when needed
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Max fastest in FP1. Business as usual.

• Max fastest in FP1. Business as usual.
    Mercs back on top in FP2, albeit with a bit of rain slowing things down and the back end of the session. 

I hope Merc are a bit closed to the Red Bulls on pace than FP1 suggested, would make it a better race than last weeks.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Indeed.

What’s the forecast for Sunday? Rain would mix it up a bit.

Ham has a new 2-year deal with Merc. Presumably setting the scene for a Russell/Bottas decision over the summer.
    And I see AM are suggesting they might change their base colour a little to pop more on TV. I gotta say I wish they'd go for the sage green they used in GTs for a long time. Properly classic AM colour and would look great on the F1 grid. The last-minute switch to pink highlights from neon lime/yellow doesn't help them either. 

• EmielEmiel Frets: 217
    Aston Martin simply needs to look at the former Jaguar F1 team. Just change the colour slightly so it pops out more and maybe add an additional colour to let it stand out from the Mercs..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 378
    edited July 2021
    The old Jordan 196 which was gold that year looked absolutely stunning up close. But it never worked on tv, always looked dull/dirty. I think it’s the same with the Aston Martin. Looks very nice up close. Although I don’t like the pink on it.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5946
    Emiel said:
    Aston Martin simply needs to look at the former Jaguar F1 team. Just change the colour slightly so it pops out more and maybe add an additional colour to let it stand out from the Mercs..

The jag did look great on screen but it's quite possible that AM are deliberately trying not to look too much like any of the previously unsuccessful green cars? And it's only because of Valteri that people might get confused about which car that is in the battle for 8th ;)
    Ham has a new 2-year deal with Merc. Presumably setting the scene for a Russell/Bottas decision over the summer.

This may favour Bottas. Hamilton has been praising his current teammate and is possibly wary of Russell - I doubt he wants a repeat of the Rosberg years during his swansong.

I hope Russell gets to partner Hamilton in 2022.