The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• ColsCols Frets: 7727
    sinbaadi said:
    You could find hundreds of examples where hanging on around the outside ended in the gravel with no suggestion of a penalty being applied.  

It makes sense; by hanging on around the outside, in the blind spot, you are increasing the risk of collision. 

I don't feel like Norris intentionally deviated from the line to crowd Perez to the edge of the track.
    It’s the same line you’d take if there wasn’t another car there, so yes - he didn’t deviate from the normal line per se ;)

The onboard makes it clear - unless Lando has no peripheral vision, he knew Perez was there.

https://youtu.be/nSGo05Lfoh4 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 222
    Agreed... in the past this would simply be called a racing incident. With all due respect, the defending driver can't simply follow a tighter line through the corner or he would have to back off. 

Now Leclerc was simply being too optimistic, as he usually is imho, a lot of his overtaking this year could have ended in tears...
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited July 2021
    Bullshit penalty for Norris. Even Horner thought it was a racing incident.

Agreed. I thought the stewards wanted to encourage tough racing this season.

It now seems that if you can't overtake someone legally just go to the outside, attempt to pass and if it doesn't work out get yourself "forced" off the track .. cry foul, and get the driver in front of you a five-second penalty.

Bottas wouldn't have got past Norris without the penalty. Great to see Norris overtake Hamilton on track though. That McLaren was fast. Norris is a class act. 

Both Mercedes drivers seemed to be disinterested - too used to winning I guess. Hamilton gets grumpier each week.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3434
    Fretwired said:

It now seems that if you can't overtake someone legally just go to the outside, attempt to pass and if it doesn't work out get yourself "forced" off the track .. cry foul, and get the driver in front of you a five-second penalty.

And 2 points on his Superlicence for "Dangerous Driving".

I thought it was a bullshit call personally. Norris had track position and the racing line. Perez tried a ballsy manoeuvre, put himself in that position and then was pushed off. I call that racing.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Interesting:

Christian Horner says the Austrian GP stewards were wrong to penalise Lando Norris as it sets a worrying precedent.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:
    Interesting:

Christian Horner says the Austrian GP stewards were wrong to penalise Lando Norris as it sets a worrying precedent.

Probably because such robust defences are Verstappen’s stock in trade.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
    Cols said:
    Fretwired said:
    Interesting:

Probably because such robust defences are Verstappen’s stock in trade.
    As they should be. The cars width of room is more directed at the driver who throws one up the inside. If you don't have the car under control enough to get through leaving enough room, it's not so much an overtake as a game console move. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Fretwired said:

Agreed. I thought the stewards wanted to encourage tough racing this season.

The problem with that though, is unless you’ve got a big enough gap between you and the following car, the amount of places lost when you go off the track will be an even bigger penalty,Perez being the example. 

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4418
    What I want to know is, if Lando got 2 penalty points on his license, did Checo get 4?
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

Checo’s top of the pops, eh?  Hope Albon’s been keeping himself race ready.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    Melbourne cancelled. Here's hoping for another Mugello race 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires

Exactly what I thought when I read that Stefano Domenicali said that there are still going to be 23 races

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

Exactly what I thought when I read that Stefano Domenicali said that there are still going to be 23 races
    Yeah, you'd assume they have a bunch of contingency plans, particularly for the flyaways that were always likely to have issues. 

Yeah, you'd assume they have a bunch of contingency plans, particularly for the flyaways that were always likely to have issues. 

Joe Saward is reporting that Japan and Brazil are looking unlikely, and there might be a double-header at Austin (and possibly another race around the outer ring at Sakhir too, although that is dependent on Bahrain coming off the UK's red list)

I heard a rumour of a possible double header at Jeddah or Abu Dhabi. I'm not sure what the plans are for KSA but hey've just tightened their border controls again...
    Double header at Abu Dhabi?  There’s not enough coffee in the world to make it through that.
    Cols said:
    Double header at Abu Dhabi?  There’s not enough coffee in the world to make it through that.
    It might be better with the new layout changes. Maybe... 
    Cols said:
    (Sound of turd being busily polished)

If there’s a double header, wake me after the first one and let me know if taking out a few of the twiddly bits transformed the racing.

It cracks me up that this was a circuit for which, when being constructed, money was no object - a billion dollars, by all accounts - and the only memorable event it’s produced is the unfortunate Alonso being stuck behind Petrov for most of the race, unable to find a way past.

Still, at least the backdrop is pretty.
    Cols said:
    Cols said:
    (Sound of turd being busily polished)

If there’s a double header, wake me after the first one and let me know if taking out a few of the twiddly bits transformed the racing.

It cracks me up that this was a circuit for which, when being constructed, money was no object - a billion dollars, by all accounts - and the only memorable event it’s produced is the unfortunate Alonso being stuck behind Petrov for most of the race, unable to find a way past.

Still, at least the backdrop is pretty.
    Yeah, it's quite bizarre. It's visually great and the facility is amazing. The in-person event is usually very good with 3 or 4 big-name concerts and lots of support races etc etc. But for actual F1 racing it's generally rubbish. From what I've heard the organisers absolutely understand that and don't like it, hence making these changes this year. The hairpin should be a net benefit, but the banked turn later in the lap has me nervous, as *could* be great, but its removing one of the only existing overtaking spots