The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Bottas to replace Raikkonen? I don't see it myself - if Raikkonen retires (as is rumoured) wouldn't Alfa take a young Ferrari Academy driver?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    Yeah, I saw that rumour but don’t see how it helps anyone. Too slow a team for Valtero and far more likely Ferrari would put Mick in an Alfa seat if one becomes available. Unless Gio is also out then I can see they’d want a proven winner alongside their young upcoming guy
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ColsCols Frets: 7727
    Fretwired said:
    Bottas to replace Raikkonen? I don't see it myself - if Raikkonen retires (as is rumoured) wouldn't Alfa take a young Ferrari Academy driver?

IIRC, the agreement as part of the Alfa Romeo sponsorship is that the second seat (currently Giovinazzi) is at the disposal of Ferrari.  The second seat is dictated by the team.

I have a vague memory that Kimi took a stake in Sauber as part of his transfer from Ferrari, so it could be that he has some clout in driver selection and would like to see the seat go to a fellow Finn.  Aside from that, I believe the majority owners are a Scandinavian investment firm (which explains why Ericsson had such a long stint there).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cols said:
    Fretwired said:

IIRC, the agreement as part of the Alfa Romeo sponsorship is that the second seat (currently Giovinazzi) is at the disposal of Ferrari.  The second seat is dictated by the team.

I have a vague memory that Kimi took a stake in Sauber as part of his transfer from Ferrari, so it could be that he has some clout in driver selection and would like to see the seat go to a fellow Finn.  Aside from that, I believe the majority owners are a Scandinavian investment firm (which explains why Ericsson had such a long stint there).

Interesting. I didn't know that!

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Bottas and Kimi at the post-race interview. That'll be riveting.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    Bottas and Kimi at the post-race interview. That'll be riveting.
    Meeyah. 

For sure

Mwah, meeyah

Yeah, absolutely. For sure 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
    I think that Alfa would be a good fit for Valtteri but I'd rather see him star in another series than fizzle out further in F1.
    edited July 2021
    dazzajl said:
    I think that Alfa would be a good fit for Valtteri but I'd rather see him star in another series than fizzle out further in F1.
    Totally agree. He’d be great in WEC or GT racing. I’d bet he’d do really well in Indy too.

I don’t dislike the guy but I’d rather see those sorts of seats going to upcoming drivers - Callum Illot is probably better than Mick and Tsunoda so I’d really like to see him given a shot next year 
    Hamilton seriously damaged his car which is why he went backwards in Austria. Stay away from the sausage kerbs ..

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/67189/mercedes-reveal-hamilton-damage-time-loss/?fbclid=IwAR2WgQZjcJ2r2f6TpqIamGeFlmVHiKRwzP7F7YsQm_1Be6yzpHhpHacUqx0

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    What do we think of Mick? He’s not exactly setting the world on fire, is he?

Looks like Kimi is going to announce his retirement - let's see if Mick replaces him at Alfa.

He’s good, but probably not great. It’s impossible to tell in that dog of a car, but in F2 he was more Ralf than Michael. 

Against weaker competition he would do well, but with the next decade set to be a mix of Max, Lando, Leclerc, Sainz and Russell he’s not going to get a look-in, realistically 
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 3027
    He's not his dad.  Frankly I see that as a positive.  

Would be nice to see if he could mix it with the bigger boys in a half decent car.

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    edited July 2021
    Edited… thought Silverstone was tomorrow(later today) lol
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    Difficult to gauge.

He’s in a car which hasn’t been developed since last year beyond the bare minimum to make it compliant with 2021 regs, and which won’t get any updates this year.  Points or qualifying higher than the last row of the grid would require an enormous amount of good fortune.

He’s consistently outqualified and outraced Mazepin, which isn’t exactly an impressive feat.  Realistically, he needs to be put up against a more challenging teammate to see what he’s made of.
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 222
    […]

He’s consistently outqualified and outraced Mazepin, which isn’t exactly an impressive feat.  Realistically, he needs to be put up against a more challenging teammate to see what he’s made of.
    Sounds just like Russell… 
    Russell had the highly rated Kubica as teammate in his debut season.
    edited July 2021
    Emiel said:
    […]

Sounds just like Russell… 
    True, but Russell has a couple of extra points in his favour: 1) he smashed Lando and Albon and Latifi in F2 in 2018 having done similar in GP3 the year before, and 2) he smashed Bottas in Bahrain last year (granted not in the results but not his fault) in a car he'd never driven wearing boots a size too small. 

He jumped in and immediately got up to speed in a way that Ricciardo, Alonso and Sainz have all struggled to do this year. Granted the 2020 Merc is clearly an easier car to drive than theirs, but that's serious talent.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3434
    Apparently Lando was mugged after the football at Wembley and had his watch stolen!  :p
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.