What's Hot

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6171
    welshboyo said:
    goldtop said:
    welshboyo said:
    goldtop said:
    welshboyo said:

As an FYI, I'm no Max or Lewis fan  - there are other drivers in those teams that excite me more....
    Bottas?

(notsureifserious.gif here)
    @goldtop ;Perez, best driver of the lot..

Still don't understand. You said Bottas is more exciting than Hamilton. Please explain how?

And as good as Perez was on Sunday (and he was excellent), he still couldn't hold off the 'unexciting' Hamilton. Even when Perez had nothing to lose and Hamilton had everything to lose.

I suspect that - like quite a few F1 followers - you don't like Hamilton. That's fine, but it'd be more honest to just say that. Because when you say he's not 'exciting' after the F1 racing he's done for 14 years, it looks a bit ... daft.

Hamilton was exciting from the day he turned up. He reminded me of someone else who arrived and made everyone sit up and take notice: Valentino Rossi in the 500cc GPs. Both are cut from the same cloth.
    Read ALL my responses before digging in - I have already said I am no Max or Lewis fan - in fact you have re-quoted that exact statement back at me..so not sure where you are getting lost there??
    (sigh) Who is the other driver in the Mercedes team that excites you more than Hamilton?

You know what? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I think you dislike Hamilton enough that you accidentally over-stated things. It happens. So I'll ask directly: Is Hamilton a more exciting driver than Bottas?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6897
    Mercedes are already in court regarding breaking the rules (again) in a much more serious way - perhaps they want the F1 smokescreen to help keep the public thinking they are hard done by.. 

Mercedes accused of using cheat-devices with ‘500%’ higher NOx emissions | CAR Magazine
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    edited December 2021
    goldtop said:
    welshboyo said:
    goldtop said:
    welshboyo said:
    goldtop said:
    welshboyo said:

As an FYI, I'm no Max or Lewis fan  - there are other drivers in those teams that excite me more....
    Bottas?

(notsureifserious.gif here)
    @goldtop ;;Perez, best driver of the lot..

Still don't understand. You said Bottas is more exciting than Hamilton. Please explain how?

And as good as Perez was on Sunday (and he was excellent), he still couldn't hold off the 'unexciting' Hamilton. Even when Perez had nothing to lose and Hamilton had everything to lose.

I suspect that - like quite a few F1 followers - you don't like Hamilton. That's fine, but it'd be more honest to just say that. Because when you say he's not 'exciting' after the F1 racing he's done for 14 years, it looks a bit ... daft.

Hamilton was exciting from the day he turned up. He reminded me of someone else who arrived and made everyone sit up and take notice: Valentino Rossi in the 500cc GPs. Both are cut from the same cloth.
    Read ALL my responses before digging in - I have already said I am no Max or Lewis fan - in fact you have re-quoted that exact statement back at me..so not sure where you are getting lost there??
    (sigh) Who is the other driver in the Mercedes team that excites you more than Hamilton?

You know what? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I think you dislike Hamilton enough that you accidentally over-stated things. It happens. So I'll ask directly: Is Hamilton a more exciting driver than Bottas?
    (Sigh)…well done for quoting what suits you for the 2nd time today…and this thing about giving me benefit of the doubt..are we in school or something???!!

At any point (again) have I said Bottas? No, I haven’t..I’ve mentioned Perez but you might have missed that while you were selecting the bits that you wanted to quote….anyway….I have already explained in the part that you have NOT quoted that I said Teams instead of Team and corrected it. Bottas has had some good spells this season and some not as good, he’s OK but is a bit bland perhaps…

Don’t misquote me to try your best to get your argument going, I’m not interested and actually regret putting my own views across on this thread, should have stayed out…

I don’t dislike Hamilton, yes, he’s British and I support him for just that, yes it would have been nice to see him win and it’s a shame this season ended as it did, blah blah blah, I just don’t like him enough to think that he is the greatest thing ever as you clearly do, I’m fine with that, people are allowed their own views as am I - just don’t try and find a way to ram your views down my throat or more so try to start an argument about something that isn’t there in the 1st place..

Peace, over and out…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Aston Martin spotted testing new aero parts yesterday:

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    Aston Martin spotted testing new aero parts yesterday:

That device controls the airflow into the roll hoop air intake. We were working on something similar at Mercedes. Lol.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • How’s the morale at Mercedes now @markr76? You guys were robbed at the last race.

edited December 2021
    How’s the morale at Mercedes now @markr76? You guys were robbed at the last race.

A bit flat.  But we are the constructors champions, so that has eased the disappointment a bit. So we are still the best team at the end even though we were not as good as we could have been. We dropped a lot of points with silly mistakes at the start of the season. Also our car and engine haven’t been as good as could be at the start. 
    Although I do feel like we were robbed. I also think Redbull are a very good racing team (I don’t like them though and would never go and work there! I don’t think I could walk past Horner without giving him a slap!) so I wouldn’t want to talk down what they achieved. 
    There’s a sense at work that we need to use this to push ourselves to blitz everyone next year. Which won’t be easy! 
    If I’m being honest though. I’ve always personally felt a bit flat after every championship I’ve helped win. I’m not sure why. I’m not the only person to say they feel like that either. It might be because we all just tend to have a small celebration. Then we just get on with building next years car. It’s the busiest time of year in my department. So we don’t really get time to appreciate it. In fact I don’t think I’ll really appreciate what I’ve helped achieve until I’m older and it’s all behind me.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252
    Let's not forget that without the points and 'race win' for Max at the non-race at Spa, the standings would have been different heading into last weekend. Masi didn't have a problem with that one finishing behind the safety car.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • markr76 said:
    How’s the morale at Mercedes now @markr76? You guys were robbed at the last race.

I’ve always personally felt a bit flat after every championship I’ve helped win. I’m not sure why. I’m not the only person to say they feel like that either. It might be because we all just tend to have a small celebration. Then we just get on with building next years car. It’s the busiest time of year in my department. So we don’t really get time to appreciate it. In fact I don’t think I’ll really appreciate what I’ve helped achieve until I’m older and it’s all behind me.
    The kind is dead, long live the king....

Doesn't leave much time to reflect on achievements and enjoy them, just always chasing the next one. I've always wondered how sports stars pick themselves up and regain motivation after achieving a life goal. The hard work involved in getting to the top and staying there is extraordinary.

Will be rooting for both your drivers next year, it's going to be fascinating.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Habanero said:
    Let's not forget that without the points and 'race win' for Max at the non-race at Spa, the standings would have been different heading into last weekend. Masi didn't have a problem with that one finishing behind the safety car.

I got fed up pointing that out to people who said Max won more races than Lewis. Spa was a joke ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    markr76 said:

I’ve always personally felt a bit flat after every championship I’ve helped win. I’m not sure why. I’m not the only person to say they feel like that either. It might be because we all just tend to have a small celebration. Then we just get on with building next years car. It’s the busiest time of year in my department. So we don’t really get time to appreciate it. In fact I don’t think I’ll really appreciate what I’ve helped achieve until I’m older and it’s all behind me.
    The kind is dead, long live the king....

Doesn't leave much time to reflect on achievements and enjoy them, just always chasing the next one. I've always wondered how sports stars pick themselves up and regain motivation after achieving a life goal. The hard work involved in getting to the top and staying there is extraordinary.

Will be rooting for both your drivers next year, it's going to be fascinating.
    Yeah. We are always pushing forward. It’s nonstop. I do think it’s good that we didn’t get it all our own way too. It re focuses us. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Think Mercedes should push the legal angle - not for getting a retrospective drivers championship, I think that ship has sailed and Lewis wouldn't be particularly interested. However, there is a big need to clarify the role of Race Director, and seemingly their ability/willingness to set aside protocols and procedures on a whim.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7073
    Jalapeno said:
    Think Mercedes should push the legal angle - not for getting a retrospective drivers championship, I think that ship has sailed and Lewis wouldn't be particularly interested. However, there is a big need to clarify the role of Race Director, and seemingly their ability/willingness to set aside protocols and procedures on a whim.
    I have a strong suspicion that Merc will drop the appeal, with the “out of court settlement” being Masi’s head.  It would allow everyone to save face.

There’s been a story this week about Formula 1 (note: the commercial entity, not the FIA), planning to “stop” team bosses from being able to speak to the race director during grands prix next season.  I wonder if it’s a new thing, or if Charlie Whiting was subjected to mid-race badgering from aggrieved team bosses?

• HaychHaych Frets: 5667
    I hope both ^ of those things happen.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

Cols said:

There’s been a story this week about Formula 1 (note: the commercial entity, not the FIA), planning to “stop” team bosses from being able to speak to the race director during grands prix next season.  I wonder if it’s a new thing, or if Charlie Whiting was subjected to mid-race badgering from aggrieved team bosses?

Stopping team bosses speaking to the race director speaks volumes about what those in authority think of Masi. Team bosses were able to speak to Whiting. The difference was Whiting knew the rules backwards (he wrote most of them) and wasn't easily pushed around, nor was he influenced by the team bosses. He was a strong, consistent race director so there wasn't much to moan about other than cars ignoring blue flags.

• Fretwired said:
    Cols said:

Stopping team bosses speaking to the race director speaks volumes about what those in authority think of Masi. Team bosses were able to speak to Whiting. The difference was Whiting knew the rules backwards (he wrote most of them) and wasn't easily pushed around, nor was he influenced by the team bosses. He was a strong, consistent race director so there wasn't much to moan about other than cars ignoring blue flags.

I suspect a big part of Whiting's success (apart from Bianchi - don't get me started...) was that he not only knew the rules but fully understood the intent behind them because he oversaw the drafting of basically every word. That meant he would be far more likely to be consistent because the rules represented a set of principles that were very clear to him. 

Masi doesn't have that background so has to think much more deeply about every scenario, which he simply doesn't have time for in the middle of a race.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1360
    Whiting also fully knew and understood the technical regulations so issue like the merc rear wing would have been handled differently.
    edited December 2021

Masi doesn't have that background so has to think much more deeply about every scenario, which he simply doesn't have time for in the middle of a race.
    I think it's worse than that - he appears to favour the spectacle over strictly implementing the rules as written. I think that's come from Liberty Media. When Wolff berated him for letting a few lapped cars through Masi replied that "it's a motor race - we went car racing" - that was his justification, even though there is also a rule which states that if the race finishes under a safety car the safety car can come into the pits on the last lap but but no overtaking is allowed. That would have ensured that Hamilton could have taken the flag at speed without having an Aston Martin road car in front of him spoiling all the pictures. I am sure Liberty would have preferred Max to win rather than Lewis again - noting personal against Lewis but a new champion will be good for social media.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Simonh said:
    Whiting also fully knew and understood the technical regulations so issue like the merc rear wing would have been handled differently.
    There was no issue with our rear wing!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom