The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7700
    goldtop said:
    Are we doing a sweepstake on how long it takes for Ferrari's latest skullduggery to be discovered by the FIA and then for it to be quietly abandoned?
    haha I was actually discussing this only partly tongue in cheek with my son yesterday! 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • musicegbdfmusicegbdf Frets: 409
    And they pull LH car in 10th place to check it meets regs.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited April 2022
    I’m happy to see the Mercs struggling, it makes a refreshing change to their usual same old dominance. I strongly suspect that they won’t remain struggling for long, though.

I wonder whether Danny Ric is going to wow the home crowd, or whether he’s once again going to be trounced by Lando.

I’m happy to see the Mercs struggling, it makes a refreshing change to their usual same old dominance. I strongly suspect that they won’t remain struggling for long, though.

I wonder whether Danny Ric is going to wow the home crowd, or whether he’s once again going to be trounced by Lando.
    if "wowing the crowd" can include grabbing the final point paying position, maybe 
    Red ones are better. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    TimmyO said:

if "wowing the crowd" can include grabbing the final point paying position, maybe 

Harsh, but probably fair!

Yes Norris! 

Unlucky for Sainz 
    Red ones are better. 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5000
    Not watched it but looked on the Beeb, get in Charles, great lap from Lando who I think is a better driver than Russell. Fingers crossed for a Ferrari double world title this season. 

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• Gutted for Fernando, he was looking seriously rapid. Still should be an interesting race with the too two duking it out, and Carlos and possibly Fernando getting nice and racey back in the midfield.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • musicegbdfmusicegbdf Frets: 409
    Boromedic said:
    Not watched it but looked on the Beeb, get in Charles, great lap from Lando who I think is a better driver than Russell. Fingers crossed for a Ferrari double world title this season. 
    + 1 on Lando . Anybody other than RB will be fine by me. 
    I wonder if the stewards will grab a Ferrari for a look this week. Maybe check the fuel as well.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27682
    Good to see Merc nudging up the grid, but you have to think Alonso and Sainz would’ve both been ahead if not for Alonso’s crash. 

Surely Stroll is on for a penalty after his incident with Latifi - yet again he manages to stumble into someone while on a slow lap. 

Any news of possible penalties for Perez and Max for their respective yellow flag shenanigans and impeding Ham?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4741
    Boromedic said:
    Yes but to be fair to Russell he’s pushing Hamilton hard.  Perhaps a gap will appear as the car settles down but at the moment it’s not clear on the track who has the 7 world championships.  

Boromedic said:
    Yes but to be fair to Russell he’s pushing Hamilton hard.  Perhaps a gap will appear as the car settles down but at the moment it’s not clear on the track who has the 7 world championships.  

He's far from being a terrible driver I agree, I just think I'd have preferred to see Lando get into a top drive than George that's all. I'd say at the moment with all the porpoising and the bouncing around, I'd rather have George's 24 year old frame than Lewis's 37 year old one. Doesn't matter how fit you are, it's going to be easier to cope with that stuff when you're younger!

We'll see how the season shakes out I guess that's the only was we'll tell, 2 races and a quali isn't really enough time. George is doing well so far though. 

Good to see Merc nudging up the grid, but you have to think Alonso and Sainz would’ve both been ahead if not for Alonso’s crash. 

Surely Stroll is on for a penalty after his incident with Latifi - yet again he manages to stumble into someone while on a slow lap. 

Any news of possible penalties for Perez and Max for their respective yellow flag shenanigans and impeding Ham?
    Re Strol I dunno - a car pulls over to let you pass then goes to whizz by - an unlucky one 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:

Re Strol I dunno - a car pulls over to let you pass then goes to whizz by - an unlucky one 
    Yeah, maybe. But he has a history of similar not-looking-in-mirrors crashes 

https://streamable.com/6c5soi
    Re Lando vs Russell, George was better in F2 but I don’t think we’ve seen enough of him in a quick car (including this season, clearly) to judge between them yet. Both are definitely capable of winning races, and you can’t really know how they will cope with a title fight until they’re in one. 

I’m just hope we get to see them try
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1328
    Norris might never get a shot.  It's hard for him to stand out whilst in a mediocre car, even with Ricciardo as a team mate.

I think it's great to watch former front runners struggling a bit.  There are enough drivers in the field that can get 99.9% consistently from the car on a given weekend, that it's not possible to make up that deficit with talent.  Mercedes have, if anything, been lucky so far this year, and there is literally nothing Hamilton or Russell can do, any more than their competition in previous seasons could do about them!

Charles looks good, but in reality probably isn't doing any better a job than he did in his first season with Alfa Romeo, he was hot stuff fresh out of gp2.  Hamilton and Russell don't look great, but probably no worse or better as drivers than in any previous seasons.

It really underlines that the goat discussion is total fluff.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7266
    Three place grid penalty for Stroll.  Pretty meaningless as he’s dead last anyway.
    It really underlines that the goat discussion is total fluff.
    In your opinion ....

I still think winning 6 titles in 7 years is exceptional even if your car is the best. Because no-one wins 1 without having the best car for at least half a season. 

Charles, George, Lando and maybe even Gasly are all up there as well, but obviously haven't had a full shot yet. But they're all young and hopefully the next decade will see all of them fighting for titles. 
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4250
    edited April 2022
    TimmyO said:

Yeah, maybe. But he has a history of similar not-looking-in-mirrors crashes 

https://streamable.com/6c5soi
    To be fair some of them really aren't his fault. He reminds me of a friend of mine though who has fairly regular car accidents: they're never his fault as such, but he doesn't seem to have the awareness of what's going on around him to stay out of trouble.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)