The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1328
    If you get to the point where two cars basically come to a stop in order to not cross the line first, you have achieved the opposite of motor racing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7700
    It’s just a matter of shortening the DRS zone a bit at some tracks I reckon 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27682
    edited April 2022
    More rumours Audi is trying to buy McLaren, or at least some of it. I'm not sure how I feel about this, but if they buy it and its name changes I will be very unhappy
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5000
    Interesting to see if that plays out, I always thought they'd buy into RB but I guess the fact they're building full cars now means they won't. 

Rumours also of changes to the Mercedes coming, wonder if they're allowed to go back to the pre shrinkwrap spec or whether that would even make a difference?

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

Boromedic said:
    Interesting to see if that plays out, I always thought they'd buy into RB but I guess the fact they're building full cars now means they won't. 

Rumours also of changes to the Mercedes coming, wonder if they're allowed to go back to the pre shrinkwrap spec or whether that would even make a difference?
    Well rumours suggest Porsche might be going in with RB - I wonder whether that would be a takeover to become Red Bull Porsche and have RB just be a title sponsor, or if they'd just buy the engine dept and effectively pick up all of Honda's IP.

As for Merc, they said the internals were the same between both aero specs, so no reason to suggest they can't go backward at least for one car on Friday practice to compare one against the other. But I'd that sends a pretty shaky message that they aren't confident in their solution. 
    I was thinking that would be weird and potentially against the regs if VAG had two teams, (RB and Mclaren), but I guess RB has 2 teams effectively at the mo. 

Yeah if the internals are the same then it shouldn't matter, I guess the main issue is the floor/porpoising but even small changes to the bodywork would affect it. The week between the last two races wasn't enough time to progress, so Albert Park should be interesting. They are safe in 5/6 at the mo, so a bit of mucking around won't hurt. I'm pretty sure the title is out of reach this year though. 

Merc changes are apparently rear wing focused (and maybe some floor tweaks) - lower downforce rear wing means they won’t have to run the whole car so
    high 
    Red ones are better. 
  • euaneuan Frets: 1623
    The porpoising was happening with he Barcelona spec car too
    TimmyO said:
    Merc changes are apparently rear wing focused (and maybe some floor tweaks) - lower downforce rear wing means they won’t have to run the whole car so
    high 
    I would guess this in combination with rear suspension that gets firmer at high speed (somehow..?!) would be the ideal answer. 

TimmyO said:
    high 
    Cool, where did you find the info please? Ta

euan said:
    The porpoising was happening with he Barcelona spec car too
    Yeah I don't think it was "as" bad though.

Boromedic said:
    TimmyO said:
    high 
    https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.tech-tuesday-the-major-mercedes-update-expected-to-land-in-melbourne.1v3EDiILYwkiGdsXRY8L6a.html @Boromedic ;
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    Boromedic said:
    TimmyO said:
    high 
    https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.tech-tuesday-the-major-mercedes-update-expected-to-land-in-melbourne.1v3EDiILYwkiGdsXRY8L6a.html @Boromedic ;
    Thank you!

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    But also described as a “sticking plaster”, so it’ll be an interesting weekend.

yeah - they haven't sorted how to generate underfloor downforce without porpoising - this just means they can use a less poor setup to avoid porpoising :-/ 
    Red ones are better. 
  • musicegbdfmusicegbdf Frets: 409
    More rumours Audi is trying to buy McLaren, or at least some of it. I'm not sure how I feel about this, but if they buy it and its name changes I will be very unhappy

I really hope not . 
  • euaneuan Frets: 1623
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3213
    tFB Trader
    Got up early and watched FP1+2...unbelievable Ferrari pace despite having the worst porpoising on track by some margin this weekend. When they sort that it'll be even further ahead of the rest. Starting to think we've got a CL WDC on our hands.

Nice to see Alpine and McLaren up there too...Alonso and Danny Ric really attacking the track...looks mega.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

Audi looking at Sauber but the current investors didn't want to cede control to Andretti, so will they to Audi? Unless they want to come in more like the Alfa deal, or just for engines, but those both seem unlikely. 

Good to see Mclaren looking closer to where they finished last season and great to see Ferrari are still competitive. Not sure how long I can stand to see the Merc guys firmly in the midfield though :( 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6307
    Are we doing a sweepstake on how long it takes for Ferrari's latest skullduggery to be discovered by the FIA and then for it to be quietly abandoned?