The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• ColsCols Frets: 7273
    Bugger me, Helmut Marko actually said something I agree with - that pit-car radio should be banned and the drivers should be left to drive unaided, rather than being constantly coached by their engineers.

Did he forget to take his dried frog pills this morning?

https://www.planetf1.com/news/helmut-marko-rule-change-lewis-hamilton-radio-message/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24843
    I disagree with him because it's also a constructors championship.
    If it was drivers only then I get it, but it isn't.

But there's no chance of a ban anyway - the radio is now a massive part of the entertainment package and the drama.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I’m all for a ban if it stops me having to listen to the drivers moaning, instead of just getting on with the job.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7711
    Cols said:
    Bugger me, Helmut Marko actually said something I agree with - that pit-car radio should be banned and the drivers should be left to drive unaided, rather than being constantly coached by their engineers.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/helmut-marko-rule-change-lewis-hamilton-radio-message/
    This is just another cycle of an old argument. It always sounds like.a good/purist step and always ends up being reversed 
    Red ones are better. 
    I’ve had a rethink. Keep the driver’s radios but have them locked into Steve Wright for the duration of the race.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TimmyO said:
    Cols said:

This is just another cycle of an old argument. It always sounds like.a good/purist step and always ends up being reversed 
    It's been tried a few times before, most recently in 2016 where a technical directive was issued prohibiting any pit-car radio conversations related to the performance of the car or the driver.  It got about half way through the season before being ditched, with teams and drivers becoming increasingly confused and frustrated over what could and couldn't be said.

While it can be diverting to listen to the likes of Alonso, Vettel and Verstappen giving vent to a particular frustration of the moment, there's little entertainment value in hearing the engineer come onto the radio to say "ECU setting 47B, please" or "We need to bring the temperature of the front right tyre down 4 degrees, please reduce apex speed at turn 14 by 7 kph".
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24843
    Cols said:
    TimmyO said:
    Cols said:

It's been tried a few times before, most recently in 2016 where a technical directive was issued prohibiting any pit-car radio conversations related to the performance of the car or the driver.  It got about half way through the season before being ditched, with teams and drivers becoming increasingly confused and frustrated over what could and couldn't be said.

While it can be diverting to listen to the likes of Alonso, Vettel and Verstappen giving vent to a particular frustration of the moment, there's little entertainment value in hearing the engineer come onto the radio to say "ECU setting 47B, please" or "We need to bring the temperature of the front right tyre down 4 degrees, please reduce apex speed at turn 14 by 7 kph".
    I find that fascinating. 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Each to their own.  Max Mosley stated in 1999 that "fans should view the race as a chess match with a number of complex strategic elements".  Personally I prefer something a bit more gladiatorial like this:

https://youtu.be/ii6H0MktrOg 

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7711
    Cols said:
    TimmyO said:
    Cols said:

It's also not entertaining when races degenerate into uncompetitiveness because that tyre degenerated - for a reason no driver could possibly have identified. I'm fine with it - other formulas are available. 
    Red ones are better. 
    Tyre management used to be an individual driver skill which was often the key to success.  Prost, for instance, was an absolute master at conserving his tyres and brakes early in the race in order to mount a charge later when everyone else’s were falling apart.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4257
    I’ve had a rethink. Keep the driver’s radios but have them locked into Steve Wright for the duration of the race.

Wasn't there a race at Silverstone a few years ago where the drivers could all hear the radio of a local taxi firm as well as their teams? :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4257
    Cols said:

Just read it. Interesting that it says "Helmut Marko thinks that Lewis Hamilton receives too much help over the radio"... I wonder if he actually singled Lewis out, or if they've just done that to make people read the article...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

Wasn't there a race at Silverstone a few years ago where the drivers could all hear the radio of a local taxi firm as well as their teams? :)

By Jove I think you’re right, I do remember that happening!

• Oof, that was an uncharacteristic shunt for Lewis! Caught out by a gust of wind maybe? 
    And George Russell has hit the barriers, too.

• Yeah, busy night ahead for the Merc mechanics!
    edited July 2022
    Max on pole, just snatched it from Leclerc!

Shame about Hamster, would have liked to have seen him in the mix.

• Yeah, pulled it out the bag again. Hopefully Leclerc can push him hard over the rest of the weekend, provided the team don't screw him over with strategy yet again!
    edited July 2022
    I think we can be sure of that as long as Ferrari don’t have both legs down one hole of their underpants again.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1949
    Was up early getting a road ride in, been working around the house and in the garden but now im settling down in the pub with a triple meat Sunday roast about to arrive, a cold Amstel in my hand and the F1 about to start…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom