The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Hamster’s on course to be soundly thrashed by his teammate, and that’s something he hasn’t really experienced before. He wants/needs to win, and unless Merc pull a rabbit out of the hat, I can see him retiring.

I’d echo what’s already been said above, that the race was boring. Whilst I think Max is currently the best driver on the track, it could well end up like it did when Schumacher was winning everything, and at that point I switched off. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5026
    edited August 2022
    Hamster’s on course to be soundly thrashed by his teammate, and that’s something he hasn’t really experienced before. He wants/needs to win, and unless Merc pull a rabbit out of the hat, I can see him retiring.

I’d echo what’s already been said above, that the race was boring. Whilst I think Max is currently the best driver on the track, it could well end up like it did when Schumacher was winning everything, and at that point I switched off. 
    I don't think you can say Lewis is being thrashed, they're even (or Lewis might be one ahead) in quali after Belgium, and George is ahead by only 24 points in the championship. Not bad when you consider Lewis has been pushing development of the car for the first bunch of races and deliberately harming his efforts on a race weekend. He's mostly outqualified George since them races.

He's being pushed by a great driver of course he is, however you seem to be conveniently forgetting he had Button and Rosberg as teammates who also pushed him, revising the story again because you don't like him. Be harsh if you want but you need to actually mention everything and not be disingenuous.

It was a boring race, but I can still enjoy watching a driver at the peak of powers, even when I don't like him. Whilst I liked Schumacher it was the same then, I loved watching him beat everyone, it was amazing. To be at that level race after race was insane and Lewis did the same. I get how people think it's boring and all the other stuff people say, can't argue with greatness though.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 380
    I know a lot of people think Hamilton is a plonker outside of the car. But he’s actually one of the nicer drivers I’ve met. He’s always been very friendly and pretty normal every time I’ve talked to him at work. I think he handles himself very well. Considering how famous he is and everyone wants a piece of him. Michael Schumacher was the same. Both of them have the hardest handshake I’ve experienced!! 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 217
    edited August 2022
    Red Bull and especially Verstappen have just been on it this season. It's not so much the speed - Ferrari have been just as quick or quicker for most of this season - but the drives and strategy are just perfectly executed. It's mightily impressive and yes, it does remind me a lot of Schumacher and Ferrari as well.

With Mercedes being one race on pole and then the next race 1.8 seconds off and then being reasonably competitive in the race.. it all sounds like its very very hard to get that car in the right operating window. The new TD didn't seem to do them any good in that regard. Ferrari suffered from bad tire degradation which greatly hampered their race and the drivers were told to keep clear of the bumps (to protect their floors from excessive wear I guess). Simply put, I don't think both Ferrari and Leclerc are ready for the championship fight just yet. They have the speed but not the consistency.
    Emiel said:
    Red Bull and especially Verstappen have just been on it this season. It's not so much the speed - Ferrari have been just as quick or quicker for most of this season - but the drives and strategy are just perfectly executed. It's mightily impressive and yes, it does remind me a lot of Schumacher and Ferrari as well.

With Mercedes being one race on pole and then the next race 1.8 seconds off and then being reasonably competitive in the race.. it all sounds like its very very hard to get that car in the right operating window. The new TD didn't seem to do them any good in that regard. Ferrari suffered from bad tire degradation which greatly hampered their race and the drivers were told to keep clear of the bumps (to protect their floors from excessive wear I guess). Simply put, I don't think both Ferrari and Leclerc are ready for the championship fight just yet. They have the speed but not the consistency.
    One of the biggest problems for us is we can’t seem to switch the tyres on for 1 lap. Not sure why either which is a big problem at the minute. They do tend to last longer in the race for us though. 
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3230
    tFB Trader

Out of interest, did you switch off when Lewis was winning everything?

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• ColsCols Frets: 7310
    Ferrari are terminating their association with Mick Schumacher at the end of this season, so that's very likely any chance of remaining with Haas gone.  Possibilities for him are Williams, Alfa Romeo, AlphaTauri or (theoretically) McLaren or Alpine.
  • musicegbdfmusicegbdf Frets: 409
    BTW,  I am a LH fan when he is on the track. I felt the race overall was boring. Not because of Max nipping off , but even elsewhere it was a bot tame. The best bit was the three way fight with Ocon taking the place.
    Lewis is a fighter and I fully expect he will be there in the fight next year.
    Mark , you are a lucky man to meet them. Also good to hear your experience.  
    I didn't like Senna or Schumacher as I felt they went over the mark. Lewis is a very fair and clean driver. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12538
    I like Lewis but jesus wept, he sets himself up for the haters sometimes. This was what he was wearing at Spa. 

boogieman said:
    I like Lewis but jesus wept, he sets himself up for the haters sometimes. This was what he was wearing at Spa. 

Did he lose a bet with someone?
    boogieman said:

He was cold. What’s your problem! 
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4655
    You'll all be wearing that come November 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1350
    I really like Hamilton.  He's brilliant, but obviously in a less than brilliant car he doesn't look so good.  This is why all the talk of Greatest Ever etc in the last few years really gets put in perspective very quickly.  
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    RiftAmps said:

Out of interest, did you switch off when Lewis was winning everything?

No, I didn’t. But probably because I gradually became more interested in the whole F1 circus than I used to be. It’s the spectacle and thrills of the racing that keeps me watching.

• boogieman said:

He's very interested in fashion; I'd be willing to bet that sometimes he wears things that he knows will wind people up, just for a laugh - similar to Miami, where they announced the jewellery ban and he wore like 8 necklaces, 3 watches and 14 rings :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Alpine lose the contact board review.

Piastri in the McLaren next year.

And - some places reporting that Gasly is going to Alpine! Can't see Ricc going to Alphatauri or Hass.

I think he's done.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

Rumours are that Red Bull have agreed a release fee with Alpine for Gasly’s services.  The Enstone concern seems to be a popular place to offload excess drivers from the Red Bull Young Driver Programme.

And honestly, if they can swing it Gasly’s a good move.  He’s been driving at an exceptional level since getting booted from the senior team, and having two star French drivers must be sending the Alpine marketing department into raptures.

Marko seems minded to throw Baby Schumacher a lifeline and bring him into AlphaTauri, not that would have been a serious prospect for DR.  Looks like it’s either a rebuilding year in Haas for him, or off to try his luck in another series.
  • I’ve been telling you for ages that Ric is done in F1!

• Some good details on the Piastri stuff here - https://racingnews365.com/crb-ruling-details-alpine-failings-in-handling-piastri-contract

In the ruling, arbitrators Ian Hunter QC, Stefano Azzali, Prof. Dr Klaus Peter Berger and Matthieu de Boisseson all found that Alpine had separate contracts for Piastri for his 2022 reserve driver duties and a potential '23 race seat, but repeated missed deadlines frustrating his manager, Mark Webber.

Alpine believed a 2022/23 'Terms Sheet' dated in November 2021 constituted a "valid contract between Piastri and Alpine for the purposes of a race driver role in the 2023 and 2024 F1 seasons," RacingNews365.com understands.
    However, this was only the "intended" starting point for negotiations, with the Piastri camp being informed by Alpine CEO Laurent Rossi that contracts would be exchanged within 10 business days of 15th November 2021. 

This deadline came and went with Webber growing frustrated by Alpine not sending the documents over, telling Director of Legal Affairs Benedicte Mercer that "there are so many times [I] can tell Mr Piastri and his father that 'it's coming'". 

Their plan was to stick him at Williams for 2 years then maybe bring him to Enstone for 2025. And they only have a term sheet, which is absolutely not a contract. AND he was no under any contract when he signed the Mclaren deal. With all of that I guess Alpine only really went to the CRB to try and save face. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Here we go, the Chilli Race Prediction*

1st Leclerc
    2nd Hamster
    3rd Norris

*Only place bets based on this if you are off your face, or mad as a box of frogs.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom