The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8105
    TimmyO said:
    The main question for this race is, on which lap will the Ferrari strategy implosion occur? 
    maybe not
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    Well that was a shitty end to the race. 
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4714
    edited September 2022
    boogieman said:
    Yeah. With the new tyres on some cars it'd been great to restart and have a 3 lap shoot out but I think there was such a hoohar when the same situation turned up at the end of last season with people losing their shit and their jobs etc the race director had no choice but to play it safe and let the safety car take them all home.. the other view of course is 'they' want Max to win the championship again
  • ColsCols Frets: 7727
    boogieman said:
    Yup - and in retrospect it would’ve been better to red flag the race rather than burn laps behind the safety car.

It was, however, the correct way to do things.  Imagine if they’d rushed a restart purely in order to have a lap or two of “exciting racing”, having wiped out Verstappen’s comfortable lead.  Hardly fair, and - given the safety car procedures are there for, y’know, safety - hardly safe.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Big fan of Nyck De Vries after that. Think he looks like he absolutely belongs in F1
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    If I was Latifi, I’d be looking for a drive elsewhere, the Albon and De Vries look like a killer combo 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Would it work if they added a new rule - so let's say if there's a safety car in the last ten laps, for every two laps under the safety car, they add one lap?
    It would mess up the fuel calcs big time but they must use a lot less fuel under safety and it should add some spice.
    And they need to simplify the unlapping thing. How about just the leading ten cars overtake any out of place? That should be quicker. These days with all the cameras they can have an FIA person manage each car to tell it who it can overtake or not.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
    edited September 2022
    The lapped car situation is still completely ridiculous and continues to ruin races. Why do the lapped cars not peel off into the pits once the train is established?? Hold them at the exit for a few seconds if need be till the front runners have passed. 

Or, as said, if a safety car is needed in the last ten laps, it’s an automatic red flag. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Why do they need to let lapped cars unlap themselves anyway?
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3287
    tFB Trader

Would it work if they added a new rule - so let's say if there's a safety car in the last ten laps, for every two laps under the safety car, they add one lap?
    It would mess up the fuel calcs big time but they must use a lot less fuel under safety and it should add some spice.
    The NASCAR rule of a mandatory two-lap sprint (even if that means extending race length) if the race looks like it'll end under caution would be a great way of doing it.

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• ColsCols Frets: 7727
    Hamilton certainly hasn’t been slow to point out that rules are rules, and there’s only one time in the history of the sport the safety car rules weren’t followed…
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 410
    We got told a funny thing at the race debrief at work just. Was That Max was moaning about all the Ferrari fans letting off red flares, saying it was hard to see. He didn’t seem to mind in Holland with all the probes the week before!!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8105
    RiftAmps said:

Would it work if they added a new rule - so let's say if there's a safety car in the last ten laps, for every two laps under the safety car, they add one lap?
    The NASCAR rule of a mandatory two-lap sprint (even if that means extending race length) if the race looks like it'll end under caution would be a great way of doing it.

I hadn't heard of that but it sounds like a very good way to do both things - those things being have safety-focussed procedures that aren't traded off against entertainment, but then also provide an entertaining and competitive conclusion to the race. 

I do think it's right and proper that the red flag isn't/can't be used as a fudge to ensure a final racing lap. Judgements and procedures on safety are best left for clear and consistent application imo. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • steersteer Frets: 1234
    edited September 2022
    markr76 said:
    We got told a funny thing at the race debrief at work just. Was That Max was moaning about all the Ferrari fans letting off red flares, saying it was hard to see. He didn’t seem to mind in Holland with all the probes the week before!!
    He called out the people who were throwing flares in Holland as well. I know that F1 is almost as divisive as football these days, but I think most of us would agree that flares are unneeded, whether they are red or orange. 
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 992
    Does anyone know why Bottas didn't overtake the safety car and remained behind Max?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    edited September 2022
    Why do they need to let lapped cars unlap themselves anyway?
    To get them out of the way. Yesterday LeClerc had two unlapped cars sitting between him and Verstappen when they were under the safety car. The C4 commentator was saying they hadn’t been told to unlap themselves by the race director. Quite why not I can’t figure out, what a bloody shambles. 
  • Bin the blue flags completely.

Either they are the best drivers in the world or they aren't.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1424
    Yeah street rules!

• Bin the blue flags completely.

Either they are the best drivers in the world or they aren't.
    I like this stance until you start thinking about junior drivers and sister teams.  
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4909
    edited September 2022

Great, thanks for all the Silverstone advice, I'll signup for the ticket alerts now.
    Waited in a queue for 5 1/5 hours but when I got to the end it just said 'sold out'.  I started again with just general admission, that was much quicker, but they had gone up £100ish for the two tickets over what they would have been in the morning.

So, we are going but can't help feeling a bit ripped off.  'Buy now' just really means sit in a queue all day while the prices increase.

I'm sure we'll enjoy it but will look to Barcelona or Hungary if we go again.  

Anybody else got tickets?