The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• markr76markr76 Frets: 410
    markr76 said:
    When Rus wanted to come in they should have said no and told him to get in Max’s way. And put LH on the softs too.
    Trouble with that is the Redbull is just too fast on the straight. He would have just shot past Russell with ease. 
    Would it have given LH enough time to get the mediums warmed up a bit?
    Maybe. But I think they would have both been sitting ducks to Max. He’s just too quick. I guess they were then worried about loosing out to both Ferrari’s too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Despite Lewis's frustration over the radio, I can't see that there was any other option.  It was Max's race.

• markr76 said:
    markr76 said:
    When Rus wanted to come in they should have said no and told him to get in Max’s way. And put LH on the softs too.
    Trouble with that is the Redbull is just too fast on the straight. He would have just shot past Russell with ease. 
    Would it have given LH enough time to get the mediums warmed up a bit?
    Maybe. But I think they would have both been sitting ducks to Max. He’s just too quick. I guess they were then worried about loosing out to both Ferrari’s too. 

Not sure anyone needs to worry about Ferrari for a while, they're a laughing stock. There must be some serious team culture issues there. Four or more people need to be sacked and new team leaders brought in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    Looked like Ferrari were short a rear tyre when Sainz came in, then they gave him an unsafe release just to make it even worse. They look like a bunch of clowns this season, heads will roll I’m sure. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5069
    As far as I could see, Sainz did an overtake (on Ocon?) under waved yellows, then had the unsafe release - were there any penalties?

• euaneuan Frets: 1942
    Stewards decided that he had completed the overtake before he entered the sector with the yellow flag 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1424
    euan said:
    Stewards decided that he had completed the overtake before he entered the sector with the yellow flag 
    Which makes a mockery of the yellow flag sectors really.  Sainz was unsighted and at very high speed with the yellow flag sector beginning just seconds away from the stricken car. 

• ColsCols Frets: 7727
    At this point, Ferrari would be better off handing race strategy and pit stop operations to the Three Stooges.  That was pitiful.  And with Monza coming straight off the back of this, you can bet that a lot of very senior people in the Ferrari team are sweating buckets.

Just as unfortunate as Ricciardo; with the rumours building that Alpine are lining up Gasly as Ocon's teammate next year, he really needed a strong weekend.  Instead he drove another nail into the coffin of his racing career by turning in the kind of performance which would put off any remaining team principals considering him.

• Looking for some pointers on going to an F1 race next year.   Going to take my son because he's F1 mad at the moment.

Any experiences welcome, Silverstone is the obvious one but I wouldn't rule out a trip to Holland / Belgium / Austria, depending on prices and spectator experience etc.

Last time I went to an F1 race was Silverstone in about 1988, it was not the greatest experience, limited visibility and stuck in a car park for about 3 hours afterwards.  But still, I remember the noise!

Also, when is the F1 calendar generally confirmed and tickets available?

I'm thinking the most likely will be Silverstone, travel down Friday night, camp, then FP3/Quali Sat, camp Saturday night, race then home.  I'm in Stockport so about 2.5 hours away on a good day.

• Christ they've let the strategy team have a go at the livery now!! :D :( 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires

I'm pretty disappointed that they didn't go fully yellow for the weekend, tbh
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

I'm pretty disappointed that they didn't go fully yellow for the weekend, tbh
    Yeah that could have been quite special. Full monza yellow with a massive black horse on the side... Like this (ish)!

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires

• Looking for some pointers on going to an F1 race next year.   Going to take my son because he's F1 mad at the moment.

Any experiences welcome, Silverstone is the obvious one but I wouldn't rule out a trip to Holland / Belgium / Austria, depending on prices and spectator experience etc.

Last time I went to an F1 race was Silverstone in about 1988, it was not the greatest experience, limited visibility and stuck in a car park for about 3 hours afterwards.  But still, I remember the noise!

I'm thinking the most likely will be Silverstone, travel down Friday night, camp, then FP3/Quali Sat, camp Saturday night, race then home.  I'm in Stockport so about 2.5 hours away on a good day.

The F1 calendar is usually confirmed towards the end of the current season - so November is likely.   You can sign up on the Silverstone site for notifications.  It can sell out so don't hang about and usually, people go for the whole weekend ticket with camping from Weds or Thursday before and some stay until Monday due to the traffic issues.

Massive road improvements were made in the early 2000's to make access easier but with over 100,000 people its going to be slow moving.

I know people who prefer Belgium as they say it can be much easier to get there. 

• markr76markr76 Frets: 410

Looking for some pointers on going to an F1 race next year.   Going to take my son because he's F1 mad at the moment.

Barcelona is a fairly easy one to do also. Plus tickets are usually a lot cheaper than silverstone. 

If you’re going to silverstone I’d pay the extra and try to get covered grandstand tickets. Silverstone can be the coldest most rainy place on the planet or the hottest place all in the space of a few hours. The seats would only be yours on the Sunday. But you’d have a roving ticket for the rest of the weekend. Which is nice as you get to try different viewpoints. 

The F1 calendar is usually confirmed towards the end of the current season - so November is likely.   You can sign up on the Silverstone site for notifications.  It can sell out so don't hang about and usually, people go for the whole weekend ticket with camping from Weds or Thursday before and some stay until Monday due to the traffic issues.

Massive road improvements were made in the early 2000's to make access easier but with over 100,000 people its going to be slow moving.

I know people who prefer Belgium as they say it can be much easier to get there. 

I've been pre and post the road improvements.

Dear god it was bad before. Single winding carriageway that plod made 1 way out of the circuit to try to have 2 lanes back to the motorway. First time I went there was a Touring Car race after the GP so we stayed for that - at least half the crowd left during that time but it still took over 3 hours to get out at about 6pm.

The new roads are a lot better, but I'd still hang around for a good few hours after the race. The stalls and food places are still open - as are the toilets! Much nicer to wander round for a couple of hours rather than sit in the car for the same. You'll still get home at the same time.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markr76 said:

Looking for some pointers on going to an F1 race next year.   Going to take my son because he's F1 mad at the moment.

Barcelona is a fairly easy one to do also. Plus tickets are usually a lot cheaper than silverstone. 

If you’re going to silverstone I’d pay the extra and try to get covered grandstand tickets. Silverstone can be the coldest most rainy place on the planet or the hottest place all in the space of a few hours. The seats would only be yours on the Sunday. But you’d have a roving ticket for the rest of the weekend. Which is nice as you get to try different viewpoints. 
    +1 for getting a stand ticket for the weekend even if its not a covered stand. They are log days and having a seat is great even when its raining. Obviously you get a guaranteed view of the race but having access to all the stands on the Saturday for practice and qualifying is worth the extra.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    Despite Lewis's frustration over the radio, I can't see that there was any other option.  It was Max's race.

Saw on BBC sport that Lewis has admitted he had the wrong engine mode selected after the full safety car, so he was well down on power on the straights. No doubt Max would’ve still won but Lewis could’ve still got on the podium. Unusual for him to let his concentration slip like that. 

• Great, thanks for all the Silverstone advice, I'll signup for the ticket alerts now.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8105
    The main question for this race is, on which lap will the Ferrari strategy implosion occur? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4714
    I'm cheering for a Russell win!! Come on George