The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Lots of moaning about the way fans were treated in Imola, too.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7727
    The plug’s been pulled on Colton Herta’s Alpine test, which was apparently intended to showcase his speed in an effort to get the FIA to grant him a superlicense (fast though he is, he doesn’t have enough points to be eligible right now).  The FIA have made it clear that they won’t be granting an exception under any circumstances.

This potentially puts the brakes on any move to Alpine for Gasly, who Red Bull were apparently happy to let go if they could replace him with Herta.  

I guess Red Bull thought that, having gone off piste with the rule book to their benefits in Abu Dhabi, there wouldn’t be an issue in the FIA doing it again.  Apparently not.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2270
    If you wanted to watch all the coverage live and have a VPN, then i suspect you could do worse than log on to RTL Luxenbourg. and watch everything including practice...

https://www.rtl.lu/sport/auto-moto-sport/a/1972512.html
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4714
    What happened to Norris on that first practice session? 3.6 seconds off the pace
  • euaneuan Frets: 1942
    Doing calibration runs with the new side pods and floor. 
    Plenty of field spread; nearly all the team mates were 0.5-1s apart, with the exception of Stroll and Vettel.
  • Chilli race win prediction* time -

1. Max
    2. Carlos
    3. George

*The usual warnings remain in place about the accuracy of the prediction.

• Ok, so based on the foolproof "Chilli always calls it wrong" method, I'm going Ham, Charles, Perez :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4714
    George will get his first win and Max will bin it.

Carlos 2nd
    Ham 3rd
    Budget caps join the list of rules which Red Bull consider optional.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/63089233
  • Cols said:
    Budget caps join the list of rules which Red Bull consider optional.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/63089233
    OBVIOUSLY. Because they're the cool young rule breaking guys, which is cool yeah? Their boss even married a spice girl!

But most importantly they have truckloads of cash and zero consideration of sporting behaviour, so now instead of spending 300m a year on racing, they can spend 145m a year on racing, an extra 50 in overspend and an extra 100m on fines and STILL be 5m better off than the previous year.

(all speculation of course, but it wouldn't surprise me)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Well, punishing a budget overspend with a fine would rather defeat the point.

The FIA could always elect to reduce Red Bull’s permitted budget for the following year… and Red Bull could just proceed to ignore that reduced cap as well.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Ok, so based on the foolproof "Chilli always calls it wrong" method, I'm going Ham, Charles, Perez :D 

Finally, someone has twigged!

Anyway, I’ll have you know I’ve got years of experience of shouting at various TV sets during F1 races. 

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8105
    The elder TimmyO Jr (who tends to be more accurate than me) predicts a Mercedes win in Singapore, and possibly also in Japan, followed by no more this season. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    Horner says they're looking at legal action against the "defamatory claims" over the budget stuff. 

So they definitely did it then... :D
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2022
    George oh shit
    Ham not quite there :( 
    Alo still got it in spades 
    Max HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Horner says they're looking at legal action against the "defamatory claims" over the budget stuff. 

Whinger Spice is blowing smoke like crazy.  “The very suggestion... impugning our good name... of all the nerve...”

They’ve been caught bang to rights, and both Ferrari and Mercedes are sensibly kicking the media hornet’s nest to ensure that the matter isn’t just brushed under the carpet with a token slap on the wrist from the FIA.

Question is, what?  Docking some constructors points from 2021 wouldn’t accomplish much; Red Bull were well ahead of Ferrari, and could happily drop 200 points without affecting their position in the championship.  Even full exclusion probably wouldn’t bother Red Bull; with all of the sponsorship deals they cut off the back of Max’s DWC, they’re rolling in it and don’t need the prize money.  And penalising the golden boy Max himself is highly unlikely.

Exclusion from the next three races?  Not being allowed to race in Honda’s home race at Suzuka and the lucrative markets of USA and Mexico would certainly sting.

George oh shit
    Max HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    I’m saving the laughter until I see the race! I still reckon Max is potentially on for yet another win.

George oh shit
    Max HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    I’m saving the laughter until I see the race! I still reckon Max is potentially on for yet another win.
    I wouldn't put it past him this year, even here. 

I agree with the summary. What we see is what Horner wants to project, effectively a manufactured persona for F1, played like a leading actor. I couldn’t do that, despite having been a manager for the last 23 years and being well versed in bullshit as a result. That’s why I believe he does a great job.

Remove him from F1, and I suspect you’d see a completely different character.