The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1422
    It's like a high speed formula e track.  All barriers, very nondescript and few landmarks of note.

The FIA should be able to take decisions and revert them if appropriate without reprisal.  Unfortunately they have set themselves up to be shot down, with a good few years of hypocritical and inconsistent decision-making.  Very frustrating.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Also why on earth, if cars can follow more closely now, haven't they reviewed the DRS zones?  Surely we don't need DRS as much any more.  I find the DRS overtakes utterly boring, and nobody takes any risks at all, they just wait for the DRS zone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10068
    Boring! I suspect (but hope I’m wrong) that this season is essentially going consist of watching the two Red Bulls disappearing off into the distance.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5202
    I see Verstappen was whinging again according to what Rosberg heard. Knob end has the best car and still whinges. 

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7702
    Petty penalties on both counts.  And it really took the biscuit to wait until after the race to apply the second bullshit penalty.

Speaking of last-minute surprises, Perez is cheesed off at Max for snatching the fastest time on the final lap; apparently he'd been told by the team to cruise to the end and not push.

I'd always assumed the speed differential gained from the DRS were broadly similar across the grid. Watching the race, the Red Bull's DRS was insanely effective (looked like he'd hit a speed boost on Mario Kart or something!) whereas the McLaren's seemed to make almost no difference at all when trying to get past Sargeant. 

Hamilton said he didn't even bother trying to fight Verstappen on the way past, the Red Bull speed differential was something else.

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3287
    tFB Trader
    Loving how brilliant GR is proving to be. We knew he was excellent after his 3-years hauling that Williams into places it had zero right of being but after some solid efforts last year (Brazil wins were just exceptional), he's proving to be one of the best. Head down, crack on, and get results. Love it.

sinbaadi said:
    Also why on earth, if cars can follow more closely now, haven't they reviewed the DRS zones?  Surely we don't need DRS as much any more.  I find the DRS overtakes utterly boring, and nobody takes any risks at all, they just wait for the DRS zone.

They did, at an FIA meeting on 21/2/23 - https://www.fia.com/news/2023-fia-formula-one-world-championship-formula-1-commission-meeting-210223
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5059
    Boromedic said:

THAT'S where I'd seen him before!  It's been driving me mad for years!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6226
    The most entertaining part of the race was Jos’ face when everyone else at RB were celebrating a one/two finish. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    RiftAmps said:
    Loving how brilliant GR is proving to be. We knew he was excellent after his 3-years hauling that Williams into places it had zero right of being but after some solid efforts last year (Brazil wins were just exceptional), he's proving to be one of the best. Head down, crack on, and get results. Love it.

sinbaadi said:

They did, at an FIA meeting on 21/2/23 - https://www.fia.com/news/2023-fia-formula-one-world-championship-formula-1-commission-meeting-210223
    I don't think any of that review was with regards to the new regs making it easier to follow more closely and overall reduction of the need for DRS at all.  They moved a detection point for Jeddah.... 
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3287
    tFB Trader
    sinbaadi said:
    sinbaadi said:

I don't think any of that review was with regards to the new regs making it easier to follow more closely and overall reduction of the need for DRS at all.  They moved a detection point for Jeddah.... 

"The FIA has analysed DRS zones for 2022 and some changes made for 2023 in order to either facilitate overtaking, or make it harder in certain circuits where it was deemed not to be enough of a challenge. These changes will be implemented in Bahrain, Jeddah, Melbourne, Baku and Miami, and involve the adjustment of detection and activation zones, and additionally, in Melbourne the 4th activation zone will be reinstated."

So...they analysed the 2022 season and saw where DRS was making it too easy under the new regs. They have then adjusted accordingly by either moving the detection point and/or moving the activation point further up the road (shortening the DRS zone).

For Saudi Arabia 2023, the detection line for zone 3 was moved to after the final corner, and the activation point was moved 70m up the road.

It's all on the FIA website for everyone to see.

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25496
    Cols said:
    Petty penalties on both counts.  And it really took the biscuit to wait until after the race to apply the second bullshit penalty.

Speaking of last-minute surprises, Perez is cheesed off at Max for snatching the fastest time on the final lap; apparently he'd been told by the team to cruise to the end and not push.

I'd always assumed the speed differential gained from the DRS were broadly similar across the grid. Watching the race, the Red Bull's DRS was insanely effective (looked like he'd hit a speed boost on Mario Kart or something!) whereas the McLaren's seemed to make almost no difference at all when trying to get past Sargeant. 

Hamilton said he didn't even bother trying to fight Verstappen on the way past, the Red Bull speed differential was something else.

Brundle said it was a 17mph difference.

that's massive.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    17mph is insane.  That can’t just be coming from the rear wing, they must be doing something to collapse the rear suspension to stall the diffuser as well.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 3026
    Cols said:
    17mph is insane.  That can’t just be coming from the rear wing, they must be doing something to collapse the rear suspension to stall the diffuser as well.
    Im sure that since its introduction the biggest reported speed gain has been 10-12mph - 17 is a huge jump.  Given how much the DRS usage and the gap created is controlled by the FIA, you do have to wonder what else is happening to create this extra speed.

Come on now, Red Bull wouldn't cheat would they? Can't believe such a thing.... ;)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8094
    edited March 2023
    Maybe the Red Bull has a secret backup power unit that is fuelled by overspend-hospitality-sandwiches ? 

Team Radio: Leclerc - "Can anyone else smell crab paté?" 
    Red ones are better. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    It’s just sour grapes from the rest of the field because the wizard Newey has once again proved he’s the best aerodynamicist in the business.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It's not sour grapes is it, it's trying to work out what they're doing in case they're up to something they want to copy or something against the regs. Given that RB have form in the whole flexible aero world, it's only natural to look into it. 

You know full well Horner would be whinging about it if roles were reversed.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2023
    Boromedic said:
    Come on now, Red Bull wouldn't cheat would they? Can't believe such a thing....
    Oh, I’m sure it’s perfectly legal.  Adrian Newey (and every other great engineer) has made a career out of looking at the technical regulation and thinking “Well it doesn’t say I’m not allowed to do that”.

So there’s a clever workaround somewhere.  Normally my view is that if someone's come up with an innovation it's the job of the other teams to work out how to do it themselves, rather than go crying to the FIA and get it banned.

However, in this case?  Imagine if every team had a DRS function that gave them a 20mph speed boost every time they activated it.  Overtaking would become even more of a joke than it already is.

So find out what it is and ban it.  And while you're at it, ban DRS as well.  I remember back when overtaking took a lot more skill, delicacy and bravery than it does these days.  Kamui Kobayashi in particular was a fantastic 'Where did that come from?' overtaker, but once DRS came in there was no particular need for his rare talent.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires