Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    It's been cancelled.

Just confirmed.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7702
    The correct decision.

I hope it can be rescheduled, but it’ll be difficult; the only free weekend on the calendar (assuming they need 2 weeks between European and flyaway races) is 14-16th July, and Imola has World Superbikes on that weekend.
    Planet F1 (I know, I know) are reporting that their sources are saying it won't be rescheduled.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    There's nowhere to move it to unless they shorten the summer break or do an impossible run of multi-headers including a switch of continents, which is all but impossible.

Yet another reason why having 20+ races a year is daft.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Planet F1 (I know, I know) are reporting that their sources are saying it won't be rescheduled.
    “Their sources” being “we asked a Sky Sports F1 journalist”.

Good thing we had a full fucking month of nothing between Melbourne and Baku.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    I can't see the problem with it being cancelled. Let's face it, the main reason we get on here is to moan about how boring F1 is.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I can't see the problem with it being cancelled. Let's face it, the main reason we get on here is to moan about how boring F1 is.
    It’s one of the better circuits, and worked hard to get back on the calendar.  

Few shed a tear when the wretched Sochi or eminently forgettable Shanghai were dropped from the schedule, but the Autodromo Internazionale Enzo e Dino Ferrari, set in beautiful scenery and blessed with evocative corner names such as Piratella and Acque Minerale, is a bit special.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3287
    tFB Trader
    Cols said:

Few shed a tear when the wretched Sochi or eminently forgettable Shanghai were dropped from the schedule, but the Autodromo Internazionale Enzo e Dino Ferrari, set in beautiful scenery and blessed with evocative corner names such as Piratella and Acque Minerale, is a bit special.

Now that is something that we can agree on!

Whilst we're on the subject...what current FIA Grade 1 circuit would you all bring back, and which race would it replace?

I'd like to see Sepang replace Abu Dhabi, and Magny Cours replace Austria
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• RiftAmps said:
    Cols said:

Whilst we're on the subject...what current FIA Grade 1 circuit would you all bring back, and which race would it replace?

Sepang to replace Abu Dhabi is a very good shout. Malaysia was often a good race, especially when it rained!

Not sure about Magny Cours in place of Austria, I don't think that would be much of an upgrade.

I'd like to see Istanbul Park and Portimao back on the calendar in place of Barcelona and Qatar. I also wouldn't mind seeing Shanghai back, but not sure what else I'd drop to accommodate it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Bring back:
    Portimao
    Fiorano
    Magny Cours
    Istanbul

Magny Cours has grown on me a bit.  Back in the 90s it wasn't one of the tracks I particularly looked forward to, a bit flat and bland.  In the context of the modern circuits, it's a classic with some fearsomely fast and challenging corners; the 180 degree Estoril corner, and the super-fast Imola chicane.

Istanbul's a great circuit; if I had one criticism it would be that the runoffs are a bit much.  If they go off at turn 8 it looks like they've ended up in a supermarket car park.

I'd love to see a German Grand Prix again - it seems very wrong that one of the most important nations in motorsport lacks a Grand Prix and has little prospect of one reappearing on the calendar.  Sadly, the short version of the Nurburgring isn't actually very good, and Hockenheim hasn't been the same since it was emasculated by the removal of the fast sweeps out into the forest.

Drop:
    Barcelona
    Miami
    Qatar
    Abu Dhabi

I'd also drop Jeddah and Mexico City for good measure.  Las Vegas, reserving judgement until they race there.
    edited May 2023
    Seeing Imola's off the cards this weekend, here's Senna on a qualifying lap at another great Grand Prix track - Brands Hatch in 1986.  

http://https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjpJNykIXFs 

John Watson's description of being passed by Senna on a qualifying lap at Dingle Dell the previous year is one of the most evocative descriptions of Senna's driving I've ever heard:

"That car was dancing, like rain just dancing off a pavement.  He had control of the car, but he had the car running in such a way that I thought “Well, there’s a clear signal if I ever needed one” that my time as a Grand Prix driver effectively was finished.  Because I realised at that point here was a man doing things I hadn’t even thought of, let alone put into effect."

http://https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgXeR-4zIrY 

It’s Monte Carlo time!

I reckon this could be Leclerc’s best chance of a win so far. I’m gonna predict the result as follows - 

1. Leclerc (assuming no Fezza cockups)
    2. Alonso 
    3. Max or Perez.

Alonso win please! 

Perez second, Max in the wall so Checo takes the lead in the title standings :)
    Well, it’s Monaco, so anything could happen. The RB DRS won’t be much use around there, and with luck, it might even rain.

edited May 2023
    Monaco is perhaps Alonso’s best chance.  Where Red Bull has an advantage over Aston is aero efficiency; Alonso is just as fast through the corners as the Red Bulls, but the Aston is draggier on the straights.  At Monaco that counts for a lot less.

And Aston are getting Honda engines from 2026 (Honda are probably betting that Alonso will have retired by then, otherwise it could be awkward)

Formula 1: Honda to return as Aston Martin engine partner in 2026 https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/65682563
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4405
    RiftAmps said:
    Cols said:

Sepang to replace Abu Dhabi is a very good shout. Malaysia was often a good race, especially when it rained!

Not sure about Magny Cours in place of Austria, I don't think that would be much of an upgrade.

I'd like to see Istanbul Park and Portimao back on the calendar in place of Barcelona and Qatar. I also wouldn't mind seeing Shanghai back, but not sure what else I'd drop to accommodate it.
    The Mugello race was good, it would be cool to see that back on the calendar. I don't think F1 has ever been there but I'd love to see a race at Laguna Seca.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

Heads up chaps, there’s a programme on C4 at 6.20pm before the Quali highlights at 7.30pm called Monaco GP The Legend which is all about the history of the race, how it changed, etc, presented by Prince Rainier.

The race highlights are on at 6.30pm Sunday.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    And McLaren have a special livery to remind us all that they used to win things too, bless them! 

And McLaren have a special livery to remind us all that they used to win things too, bless them! 

Someone on Twitter noticed...

Orange at one end... white in the middle... black at the end.

It's almost like tobacco again!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I see the Merc now has sidepods!

I hope it works!