The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    edited May 2023

Now I remember why I don't think I watched it last year. The schedule for GMT+4 is as follows...

05MAY - Practice 1 - 22:00 - 23:00

06MAY - Practice 2 - 01:30 - 02:30

06MAY - Practice 3 - 20:30 - 21:30

07MAY - Qualifying - 00:00 - 01:00

07MAY - Race - 23:30

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    Big thanks to Charles for upsetting Max.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Kinda spoiled the end of the quali session when he spun out, but sets things up interestingly for the race. As it stands it should be a golden opportunity for Checo to get right back up on terms with Max on points....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    edited May 2023
    Not watched the Quali, but saw the results, excellent! Whilst I suspect Perez might be in the top slot due to the cock-up, it should make for a better viewing than the last Miami GP.

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5202
    Oh what a joyous scene, he can't blame Checo either like he erroneously did for Monaco. Hopefully he gets spiked by a slower car and ends up out of the race so Checo can get a 19 point lead in the title race :)

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

edited May 2023
    I see Hamster is moaning about one team being head and shoulders above the rest turning fans off watching F1. Jesus H, that’s rich, he never moaned when Merc were winning everything.

Maybe it’s something to do with him being down in 13th.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    All credit to Charles for at least timing his fuckups to hurt Max, but it’ll still be an RB 1-2 so it’s pretty moot :(
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8094
    Interesting session.

I hope Max’s run to the front 2 isn’t too rapid (just from an entertainment point of view) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    I hope Max really ballses it up :)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12882
    All credit to Charles for at least timing his fuckups to hurt Max, but it’ll still be an RB 1-2 so it’s pretty moot :(
    I’m going for Perez, Alonso, Max, with Verstappen going for it too hard from 9th and cooking his tyres too soon. If Perez gets more WC points and goes top then I can’t wait to hear Max’s bellyaching to Horner. What I’d really like to see though is a Ferrari in the top 3 but I can’t see it happening. 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1422
    I see Hamster is moaning about one team being head and shoulders above the rest turning fans off watching F1. Jesus H, that’s rich, he never moaned when Merc were winning everything.

But he's the greatest of all time, apparently, so his opinion counts far more than that of any other driver on the grid, and probably the Merc didn't have a huge advantage anyway since he is the greatest of all time apparently.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2023
    sinbaadi said:

But he's the greatest of all time, apparently, so his opinion counts far more than that of any other driver on the grid, and probably the Merc didn't have a huge advantage anyway since he is the greatest of all time apparently.

I think you really need to watch his debut season again, then you'll see why he's a candidate for that title. The best drivers end up in the best cars for a reason, they're better than the rest. Unless you're Alonso and piss everyone off enough that you end up down in the midfield cos they could do without your duplicity.

edited May 2023

Where did you read this, all I can find is him complaining about the car?

At the end of the day though, I don't think Mercedes ever had this much advantage for this long regardless, and the inter team rivalry was more interesting until Bottas arrived. So here's hoping Perez can keep up with Max once they're off the street circuits. I think we need to see the cars on a normal circuit again to get a true reflection of the pace differences.

All that said, fair play to Adrian Newey once again.

Boromedic said:
    sinbaadi said:

I think you really need to watch his debut season again, then you'll see why he's a candidate for that title. The best drivers end up in the best cars for a reason, they're better than the rest. Unless your Alonso and piss everyone off enough that you end up down in the midfield cos they could do without your duplicity.
    So Perez is a candidate?  Personally I wouldn't label anyone greatest of all time on the basis of simple results or what car they drive.
    Stop being obtuse, you know full well why Sergio is at Red Bull and it's nowt to do with being a GOAT.

On your criteria, good job no one was asking you then.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4265
    Looking forward to the race, if Max doesn’t get tangled up or bins it then it’s P2 easily 
    Boromedic said:

Where did you read this, all I can find is him complaining about the car?

At the end of the day though, I don't think Mercedes ever had this much advantage for this long regardless, and the inter team rivalry was more interesting until Bottas arrived. So here's hoping Perez can keep up with Max once they're off the street circuits. I think we need to see the cars on a normal circuit again to get a true reflection of the pace differences.

All that said, fair play to Adrian Newey once again.

I found it on some Apple new app, I wasn't surprised to hear him moaning, cos he's very good at it, but he's clearly got a short, or selective memory because Mercs won 8 consecutive constructors championships from 2014 - 2021. Red Bull had a run of 4, plus 2022. He's also been complaining about the car, but that's kinda like him breathing.

I'm pleased to see Max further down the field, I get fed up with the usual formula. Were it not for Leclerc's balls-up, Max would have been on pole. But he's machine-like, almost robotic, and as utterly ruthless as a Terminator, and so my prediction is -

1. Perez (I just don't think Max will catch him, he's so on form)
    2. Sainz  or Max
    3. Tricky one. Either Fred or Max.

Boromedic said:
    Stop being obtuse, you know full well why Sergio is at Red Bull and it's nowt to do with being a GOAT.

I'm not making claims.  Nobody can objectively say who is the best driver in the current field, let alone in the history of the sport.  You use results to judge a successful driver whilst ignoring other drivers in lesser cars who have absolutely no chance of getting the same results.  Pop Lando in the '07 McLaren, or LeClerc, or Max, or Schumacher, or countless others if you want to play impossible comparisons properly.  Maybe one of them doesn't beach it on the way in to pit lane in China and wins the title in their debut season.  Not many get such a chance in their very first season in F1.

Hamilton is excellent, he has fended off some decent teammates along the way.  Not every time, but most of the time. 
    The thing with Merc dominance vs current RB dominance is that while Merc were unquestionably the fastest car by miles for a couple of those seasons, they did usually have some halfway decent competition from Ferrari and/or RB, and the internal rivalry was strong and open (particularly with Rosberg). 

So far no one looks close to even touching the Red Bulls this year (George Russell jokes aside :D ) and no one in their right mind believes the team will let Perez beat Max over the season. 

My main priorities this year are therefore:
    - a couple of Alonso wins
    - Hamilton win
    - a new contract somewhere faster for Lando 
    - Fred Vasseur to roll some heads and bring Ferrari back to properly challenging for titles 

edited May 2023
    sinbaadi said:
    Boromedic said:

I'm not making claims.  Nobody can objectively say who is the best driver in the current field, let alone in the history of the sport.  You use results to judge a successful driver whilst ignoring other drivers in lesser cars who have absolutely no chance of getting the same results.  Pop Lando in the '07 McLaren, or LeClerc, or Max, or Schumacher, or countless others if you want to play impossible comparisons properly.  Maybe one of them doesn't beach it on the way in to pit lane in China and wins the title in their debut season.  Not many get such a chance in their very first season in F1.

Hamilton is excellent, he has fended off some decent teammates along the way.  Not every time, but most of the time. 
    Lol, he took on the class of the field in 07, his debut season, in the same car and nearly took the title. Were it not for Fernando's machinations and McLaren being stupid he might well have done it. Beaching his car rests a lot on McLaren leaving him out too long, and as a rookie he was relying more on his team, he wanted to pit but was being told to stay out. Even other teams were incredulous as they could see his tyres. 

Fernando has roundly beaten every other team mate except one, and at that stage he was in his prime, beating Schumacher twice no less. I think that's enough of a comparison to put Lewis up there. He was in that McLaren because he was good enough at the end of day. 

Yes it's difficult to compare era's and also good fortune, best cars etc. but it's still something most of us do. It's part of the talking points of the sport, same in football, snooker, golf etc., Lewis is in that conversation though and you only got defensive about comparing folk after you'd had a dig at him being the GOAT.