• ColsCols Frets: 7702
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1379
    Proper motor racing currently on ITV, Goodwood members meeting 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5202
    edited April 2023
    Cos of course F1 isn't high speed motor racing is it.......  :/

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10068
    I bet Bernie has done this because he previously said that LH should have retired rather than take MSC's record from him - "out of respect"

So should MSC have retired earlier out of respect for the previous record holder? Nope, didn’t think so.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 4121
    edited April 2023
    This little Spring Break seems like it's gone on for ever! 

Hope we've all got our heads around this new "Sprint Shootout" weekend schedule that they've concocted?

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/12851266/f1-sprint-shootout-new-format-with-second-qualifying-session-confirmed-for-2023-season

Gonna be an interesting one with only ONE 60 min practice session to get all their set up work done for the entire race! The engineers will really be earning their money...

Alas, I'm out at a football match for the sprint race and at work for the main race so will miss it all!  :p
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    Yeah, it should at least be an improvement on the previous sprint format. Drivers with nothing to lose in the sprint and team bosses desperate for them to not prang it in Baku of all places...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ColsCols Frets: 7702
    As far as I can fathom:

1.  There are two separate qualifying sessions, one for the sprint race and one for the Grand Prix.
    2.  There is one less practice session.
    3.  Sprint qualifying is very short and only one set of new tyres can be used in each segment.  Effectively this makes each of Q1/2/3 a one shot effort.
    4.  Sprint race results don’t affect the Grand Prix grid order.

Did I miss anything?  And what’s C4 showing from this lot?
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    You knew where you were before sprints were introduced. I have now officially lost track of all this latest American nonsense. 

edited April 2023
    @Cols almost 

The tyre compounds are prescribed but they're not lap-limited:

Is it the same format as traditional qualifying?
    Yes, it sure is – however, each segment is shorter. Q1 will be 12 minutes, Q2 10 minutes and Q3 8 minutes. Each will be separated by 7-minute breaks. New tyres are mandatory for each phase, with mediums for Q1 and Q2, and softs for Q3.

Why have they done that?

Drivers will have time for two runs in Q1, each of which could be separated by a pit stop. The shorter allotted time in Q2 and Q3 means two timed laps are still possible – but they won’t have time to stop for fresh tyres.  

Full article - 
    https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.explained-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-2023-f1-sprint-format.583WHWKbWVVBemPKi6pJxH.html ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    What a load of shit.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Hilarious (and only)  practice session. 13 minutes lost to a red flag and lots look out of position. 

Both Lando and DeVries well inside the top 10. I can't believe both of those are representative. 
    Fuckign lols at this session. Let’s do a new format with only 45 minutes of practice at the track where no one can keep it between the walls even after 4 hours of practice… :D 
  • This could be the longest Quali session of all time at this rate. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12882
    So…..the start positions for the race itself were decided by todays qualis? So what’s the point of the sprint race? 

Well done Charles btw. Hope he can make it stick in the race. 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1422
    edited April 2023
    boogieman said:
    So…..the start positions for the race itself were decided by todays qualis? So what’s the point of the sprint race? 

Well done Charles btw. Hope he can make it stick in the race. 
    What's the point?  Ironically, some points?  Entertainment?

I like Sprint races because the start of a GP is more often than not the most exciting part.  But I do understand why a chaotic short race isn't always a fair way to determine the grid for a longer race, and also I think it defeats the purpose a bit if drivers don't really go for it in a "sprint" race because a dnf of any kind would put them to the back of the grid for the race that scores far more points.
  • I think from a fan at the circuit's perspective this format is great. Typically if you pay to go for the full three days, you only get the Saturday afternoon quali session and the Sunday race as the only truly meaningful competitive action. This way you get a competitive session on the Friday, almost a complete miniature race weekend on the Saturday, and then the full race on the Sunday. Much better value for money than the usual 3-day ticket. 

I guess the Saturday Sprint day is kinda like getting to see a Twenty20 cricket game squeezed in to a Test match weekend. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    Max really is a whiny little boy. 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2023
    Well that was fine, I guess. 

Max is a whinging bitch. Yes George bumped into him but at that corner he had room and was trying to take a tighter line. In the next turn he bumped the wall and still had room to be nearer to George. Im just lolling at Max complaining about being on the receiving end after all these years. I also note that RB have Walmart as a sponsor. Twats! 

Tomorrow should be dull unless people crash. The RBs will both waltz past CL and everyone else is pretty much starting where they finished except Norris who will presumably not use today's cheese tyres again. 

And we know RB will never let Perez win the title unless Max is in hospital so there's no jeopardy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4904

The entitlement of MV is off the scale.  What a tool.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom