Pressure at that depth would be unreal.
Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16293
    If it's gone wrong...... what a tragic irony 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7044
    Its sad. I’m not sure I’d pay £200000 to see a shipwreck/tomb.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    tony99 said:
    Wouldn't fancy being in that it if something's gone badly wrong:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65953872.amp

It would be all over in a split second.

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7218
    edited June 2023
    tony99 said:

I guess so if it ruptures.

I read somewhere it has 3 days or so many hours of life support / oxygen. If it's sunk then nothing will bring it back up. And that's the only one they ve got that can go that deep anyway.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17899
    tFB Trader
    tony99 said:

That depends what has happened. 

If it's just lost power and they are slowly running out of oxygen it's a pretty horrible way to go. 

If the hull gave out it would be close to instantaneous as is possible to imagine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12514
    mrkb said:
    Its sad. I’m not sure I’d pay £200000 to see a shipwreck/tomb.
    I'd pay £200k not to see it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1966
    More in depth report here:

Not very tasteful pun there.... ;-)

11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Brio said:
    More in depth report here:

Not very tasteful pun there.... ;-)

Oops, yeah that was unintended, sorry.
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1373
    What I find even more worrying is that the company are offering costly trips without apparently having done any prior planning in regard to how they rescue people when things go wrong.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12413
    Unfortunately at that depth, there is nothing they can really do to rescue them, unless they somehow miraculously manage to get the sub back to the surface.  There will have been multiple safeguards, you can't rule out a crack or something under that staggering amount of pressure.

Ironically, the Titanic was found when Ballard was using new technology to search for two lost US Navy submarines.  He asked if it was OK and he found them quickly to look for the Titanic as it was lost in the same approximate area.

I personally find the obsession with going down there a bit distasteful.  Though there is much talk of there being no human remains, that's because they have rotted away.  There are some remains of shoes and boots which likely are all that is left of a corpse, and of course, deep within the wreck, many dozens have their last resting places, including the much praised stokers and electricians, who stayed at their posts and paid with their lives for it.

Let them rest in peace.

At the same time, it's terrible the way war graves in the Far East are being ripped to pieces on the ocean floor for scrap.  Apparently human remains from pieces of Prince of Wales and Repulse were seized by authorities when the scrap merchants didn't know what to do with them.  The wreck of HMS Exeter is just gone...

Public Service Broadcasting did a wonderful EP about Titanic... this is the last track...

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    Scary scary. You would never get me in a thing like that. Not even on dry land. 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3739
    It will get more headlines than one hundred kids and their mums drowning in a fishing vessel hold in the med too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3739
    edited June 2023

At the same time, it's terrible the way war graves in the Far East are being ripped to pieces on the ocean floor for scrap.  Apparently human remains from pieces of Prince of Wales and Repulse were seized by authorities when the scrap merchants didn't know what to do with them.  The wreck of HMS Exeter is just gone...

The WW2 wrecks were often being scavenged for Low Background steel… pre-nuclear age steel/iron for super sensitive scientific and space applications.   Any iron produced since Hiroshima and atmospheric nuclear testing has trace radiation rendering it useless for some types of sensor. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    My Father-in-law was a Navy Sub-Mariner.........long tours under the Polar Ice Cap etc 
     Sounds awful 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12413
    It will get more headlines than one hundred kids and their mums drowning in a fishing vessel hold in the med too.
    Obviously a worse tragedy, however the Greek authorities essentially being accused of letting them all die will probably help keep it in the headlines.

Both are very sad events though.
    The WW2 wrecks were often being scavenged for Low Background steel… pre-nuclear age steel/iron for super sensitive scientific and space applications.   Any iron produced since Hiroshima and atmospheric nuclear testing has trace radiation rendering it useless for some types of sensor. 

Old wrecks that were not war graves, like the German High Seas fleet in Scapa, were legitimately "mined" for low-background steel back in the day.  There were more than enough non-war grave steel ships to satisfy that requirement.

Sadly many remain cynical that ripping up the graves of British sailors is anything to do with low-background steel, and feel it's just commercial salvage of tonnes of steel.

It's still faintly hilarious that we let off enough atomic weapons to slightly irrradiate everything in the world without really knowing what we were doing. 

At the beginning of classic monster movie "Beast from 20,000 Fathoms" the scientists about to set off a nuclear bomb go "I'm not sure if we are starting a new genesis or the last chapter of the old one" - but they basically decide, fuck it, let's let some bombs off and see what happens.  In their case it's a literal monster, ours is more metaphorical.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    That's a very ghoulish form of tourism.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Any more so than a stroll around the Coliseum or Tower of London ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12514
    Apparently the only vehicle controls in this submersible are a Playstation controller and a solitary 'button'.  I find this quite staggering.  And with no backup sub in the operating company's fleet, well... who in their right mind would want to go down in it?  Let alone for the purpose of ghoulishly raking over a submerged graveyard?

Perplexing.  And whilst hoping for a happy ending, I very much doubt this will end well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    edited June 2023
    Offset said:
    Apparently the only vehicle controls in this submersible are a Playstation controller and a solitary 'button'.  I find this quite staggering.  And with no backup sub in the operating company's fleet, well... who in their right mind would want to go down in it?  Let alone for the purpose of ghoulishly raking over a submerged graveyard?

Perplexing.  And whilst hoping for a happy ending, I very much doubt this will end well.
    via Bluetooth no less.  (although it is said that it can't use cable due to pressure)

Loses connection or run out of battery....hit something...game over.