Titanic tourist submersible gone missing

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12521
    Hopefully somebody has a spanner. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5798
    How was the crew communicating with the support vessel?

I read that is was by text message of some form but this was only possible if the sub was directly beneath the support ship?

I also read that the distance at depth made other forms of communication impossible.

It was an hour and 45 minutes into the dive when contact was lost, so it was approaching the halfway point in terms of depth when presumably something went wrong.

It seems crass to speculate but I read earlier that the crew can jettison ballast without the need for power to initiate the vessel resurfacing.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7221
    Haych said:

I read that is was by text message of some form but this was only possible if the sub was directly beneath the support ship?

I also read that the distance at depth made other forms of communication impossible.

It was an hour and 45 minutes into the dive when contact was lost, so it was approaching the halfway point in terms of depth when presumably something went wrong.

It seems crass to speculate but I read earlier that the crew can jettison ballast without the need for power to initiate the vessel resurfacing.
    Just read some expert or other saying the ballast (or at least the drop weight) on this submersible is actually designed to dissolve after so much time so it should return to surface anyway.

That is unless of course they are tangled / stuck on something.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10591
    Haych said:

I read RB's book when he found the Titanic and the remote sub he used was tethered to the ship on the surface using a cable, which carried the video feed and the remote control lines. I  guess this sub isn't then which means it must be using some kind of pulse transmission spikes because radio won't travel very far through water. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I hope the submersible is found and all are well but I can't help but think that their has either been a catastrophic electrical failure, got snagged or has imploded somehow. Even if they are alive and stuck down there I just can't see how they will be rescued given they have 48 hours at best. Feels a bit like the Kursk all over. 

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12059
    The chances of finding them is so small, if the craft lost steering or propulsion then the current would pushes it way outside the area by the Titanic.  It is very much a needle in a haystack. 

Not to mention it’s dark, with no radio signal.  This is if they haven’t imploded already.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19435
    ^ And on the bright side...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12468
    Reverend said:
    Looks like The Kraken Wakes has come true, 

Excellent reference.  Though an alien invasion is unlikely to be involved.

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • DaveJamesDaveJames Frets: 63
    axisus sai
    Scary scary. You would never get me in a thing like that. Not even on dry land. 
    Totally agree.
  • danodano Frets: 1613
    edited June 2023
    its Apollo 13 for Gen Z
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7900
    Poor bastards, at least Leo got to see Kate's boobies
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24709
    That shark clip absolutely terrified me, possibly the most upsetting thing Ive ever seen
    I know...  it's terrible.....

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Emp_Fab said:
    That shark clip absolutely terrified me, possibly the most upsetting thing Ive ever seen
    I know...  it's terrible.....

Good job it’s a sub containing humans, and not dogs, eh? Then it would have been hilarious.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Knocking noises detected by an aircraft fitted with sonar, so they’re still alive. I’ve got no idea how anything will get down there to attempt a rescue though? 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5798
    boogieman said:
    Knocking noises detected by an aircraft fitted with sonar, so they’re still alive. I’ve got no idea how anything will get down there to attempt a rescue though? 
    Depends how deep they are.  If they're still alive then they should have been able to jettison the ballast and in theory should be at surface level.

Communication was lost less than two hours into the dive, they certainly weren't on the seabed at that point.  Whether they continued to descend after that point is what we don't know.  They could be on the sea floor, they could be on the surface, or they could be anywhere in between. 

I'm glad that there is hope, and I really do hope they are found and can be rescued. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24891
    edited June 2023
    A journo went on it last year...

https://twitter.com/Pogue/status/1670821849863802880

Turns out it has got lost before.

and the CEO doesn't like safety rules

https://www.insider.com/missing-titanic-sub-ceo-told-reporter-safety-pure-waste-2023-6

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• boogieman said:
    If they're entangled then maybe they can send an ROV down there to hopefully help it get loose of whatever it's stuck to?  But if it's a power failure then that's going to be difficult.  At least it rules out a major fire inside the sub or a hull breach....if it really is them making those noises.

This whole thing made me watch this Titanic documentary on National Geo last night called "Back to the Titanic" and they filmed 4k footage of what it's like down there and the risks involved.  Even the experts on that expedition said how dangerous it is because of all the debris scattered, wires and cables, overhanging metal, and the strong current.  Get too close and your sub could get pushed into something and you're stuck.  
    Haych said:
    boogieman said:
    Depends how deep they are.  If they're still alive then they should have been able to jettison the ballast and in theory should be at surface level.

Communication was lost less than two hours into the dive, they certainly weren't on the seabed at that point.  Whether they continued to descend after that point is what we don't know.  They could be on the sea floor, they could be on the surface, or they could be anywhere in between. 

I'm glad that there is hope, and I really do hope they are found and can be rescued. 
    They lost contact at 1 hour 45 mins into the dive. The Beeb says the sub would’ve reached the wreck after 2 hours in normal circumstances, so it means they would’ve been at around 2500-3000 metres deep by then. I hope they can be rescued as well, just seems it going to be very difficult unless they’ve managed to come up, by a lot. 
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1831
    boogieman said:
    Haych said:
    boogieman said:

They lost contact at 1 hour 45 mins into the dive. The Beeb says the sub would’ve reached the wreck after 2 hours in normal circumstances, so it means they would’ve been at around 2500-3000 metres deep by then. I hope they can be rescued as well, just seems it going to be very difficult unless they’ve managed to come up, by a lot. 
    Would those "banging on the side of the vessel" type noises they are hearing even be heard by Sonar that deep? 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8502
    I reckon they found Atlantis. What a twist that'd be!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom