Titanic tourist submersible gone missing

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12521
    welshboyo said:
    boogieman said:
    Haych said:
    boogieman said:
    Knocking noises detected by an aircraft fitted with sonar, so they’re still alive. I’ve got no idea how anything will get down there to attempt a rescue though? 
    Depends how deep they are.  If they're still alive then they should have been able to jettison the ballast and in theory should be at surface level.

Communication was lost less than two hours into the dive, they certainly weren't on the seabed at that point.  Whether they continued to descend after that point is what we don't know.  They could be on the sea floor, they could be on the surface, or they could be anywhere in between. 

I'm glad that there is hope, and I really do hope they are found and can be rescued. 
    They lost contact at 1 hour 45 mins into the dive. The Beeb says the sub would’ve reached the wreck after 2 hours in normal circumstances, so it means they would’ve been at around 2500-3000 metres deep by then. I hope they can be rescued as well, just seems it going to be very difficult unless they’ve managed to come up, by a lot. 
    Would those "banging on the side of the vessel" type noises they are hearing even be heard by Sonar that deep? 
    Good point. No idea how far sonar can detect these things. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well some type of device did hear the noises causing the search operation to move to that area, so it seems they are able to detect and triangulate the source whether it be by sonar or something else.  
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5798
    boogieman said:
    Haych said:
    boogieman said:
    Knocking noises detected by an aircraft fitted with sonar, so they’re still alive. I’ve got no idea how anything will get down there to attempt a rescue though? 
    Depends how deep they are.  If they're still alive then they should have been able to jettison the ballast and in theory should be at surface level.

Communication was lost less than two hours into the dive, they certainly weren't on the seabed at that point.  Whether they continued to descend after that point is what we don't know.  They could be on the sea floor, they could be on the surface, or they could be anywhere in between. 

I'm glad that there is hope, and I really do hope they are found and can be rescued. 
    They lost contact at 1 hour 45 mins into the dive. The Beeb says the sub would’ve reached the wreck after 2 hours in normal circumstances, so it means they would’ve been at around 2500-3000 metres deep by then. I hope they can be rescued as well, just seems it going to be very difficult unless they’ve managed to come up, by a lot. 
    OK, that's interesting.  The Beeb seems to be giving out conflicting information.  I'm sure they stated that a dive to the Titanic took four hours (although can't find the article now), or that it was about halfway into the dive when contact was lost.  I can't find anything that says the dive time is two hours, mind but my search only found this snippet:

Five people were on the vessel when contact was lost an hour and 45 minutes into its dive, or more than halfway down towards the wreck, on Sunday.

Anyway, I'm not trying to split hairs, I obviously have misunderstood the dive time needed to reach the wreck.

If they are that deep I would imagine it's going to be very difficult to rescue the sub and its occupants.  Was chatting to a mate  and he seems to think sonar wouldn't be much use at detecting surface objects as there's too much other noise going on on the surface, so he reckons the sub is on the sea floor.

To paraphrase his words, the sub is designed to either sink or surface.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• ColsCols Frets: 7301
    Cirrus said:
    I reckon they found Atlantis. What a twist that'd be!
    Who do you reckon Aquaman’s banging then?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Amber Heard
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5203
    edited June 2023
    boogieman said:
    welshboyo said:
    boogieman said:
    Haych said:
    boogieman said:

Would those "banging on the side of the vessel" type noises they are hearing even be heard by Sonar that deep? 
    Good point. No idea how far sonar can detect these things. 
    Ive read enough Tom Clancy to consider myself an expert.
    IF he is to be believed then yes, depending on where the sonar is in relation to the layer.  
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6183
    LionAquaLooper said:

If they're entangled then maybe they can send an ROV down there to hopefully help it get loose of whatever it's stuck to?  But if it's a power failure then that's going to be difficult.  At least it rules out a major fire inside the sub or a hull breach....if it really is them making those noises.

This whole thing made me watch this Titanic documentary on National Geo last night called "Back to the Titanic" and they filmed 4k footage of what it's like down there and the risks involved.  Even the experts on that expedition said how dangerous it is because of all the debris scattered, wires and cables, overhanging metal, and the strong current.  Get too close and your sub could get pushed into something and you're stuck.  
    It's reported that the CEO of the company told a colleague that his major fear when diving in the sub was becoming entangled in discarded fishing net. Apparently there are huge pieces of net drifting at depth in the ocean.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    Is this at the top of the news because there's a billionaire on board? There are five people on this sub and the ship that sank in the Med last week had up to 500 people on it. I bet those people didn't have a PR team behind them, pulling out all the stops.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15896
    Is this at the top of the news because there's a billionaire on board? There are five people on this sub and the ship that sank in the Med last week had up to 500 people on it. I bet those people didn't have a PR team behind them, pulling out all the stops.
    I see what you mean, but I think part of it is the trapped thing. I recall the media storm about them Chilean (I think, S America somewhere) miners who got trapped underground a few years back and the whole rescue attempt. I suspect if it was known the sub was gone, dead etc. then there'd be a lot less interest in the story, mebbe...

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

It's human nature.  We become desensitised to things that happen with some regularity.  I'm not saying it's right, it's just the way it is.  Unfortunately, a boat full of migrants sinking, while a massive tragedy, is something all too common these days.

There is also no mystery to it, it's just an unfortunate incident.

A mini sub going missing is so rare an occurrence that I don't recall it ever happening before, but the same media frenzy seemed to also surround the Kursk incident when it happened.  It also has a similar "vibe", for want of a better word, to it as the Deepwater Horizon disaster.

The mystery of the circumstances and not knowing what's happening under the water in the vessel captures the mind.

I think there's also something very primal about the thought of being trapped in a confined space in a situation where rescue is nigh on impossible - I think most people fear something like that, it's the stuff of nightmares so it captures the imagination.

• GillyGilly Frets: 1167
    I find it incredible that they didn’t at least paint it a colour that would be more visible from the air. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Gilly said:
    I find it incredible that they didn’t at least paint it a colour that would be more visible from the air. 
    That thought occurred to me as well.  Dayglo orange would have been a good choice!

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6610
    Gilly said:
    for a vehicle that dives deeper than light penetrates?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Gilly said:
    If it's at the surface, painting it white is not an easy colour to spot from the sea or the air.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8502
    Gilly said:
    Found the blue tick.

I've just got to the Blink 182 stepson bit of the story. What a ride!
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12524
    Gilly said:
    Yellow?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GillyGilly Frets: 1167
    Gilly said:
    In the event that it’s floating on the surface obviously.
  • Considering everything on that sub was done on the cheap, a trip to Wickes to buy a tin of paint was probably out of the question. Their priority was to buy a PlayStation. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24709
    Emp_Fab said:
    That shark clip absolutely terrified me, possibly the most upsetting thing Ive ever seen
    I know...  it's terrible.....

Good job it’s a sub containing humans, and not dogs, eh? Then it would have been hilarious.
    Big difference.  Dogs wouldn't be so stupid as to get in the sub in the first place.  If you can blow £1/4M each on an incredibly dangerous trip in a metal tube to the bottom of the ocean to peer out of a tiny window at the graves of 1500 people, then you have to accept the risks.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7221
    edited June 2023
    I'm guessing they're done at this point. They may have had 96 hours worth of normal conditions oxygen - but down in the deep, dark and cold, about zero degrees, condensation everywhere ? Panic would have well set in by now at least with one or two of them; hyperventilation and the oxygen wouldn't have lasted 
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!