Titanic tourist submersible gone missing

What's Hot

Comments

• HaychHaych Frets: 5798
    A chilling nightmare situation.  I recall when the Kursk went down and feel the same gut wrenching sense of despair for the poor souls on board as I did then.  It must be a horrible way to go just waiting for oxygen to run out and to die of either asphyxiation and/or CO2 poisoning.  

All in a tiny, claustrophobic space.  Shudder!

It really is the stuff of nightmares.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12521
    Stuff of nightmares for me, being stuck in a confined space, pitch black outside, with the oxygen running out. It’d almost be better if the thing has been crushed by the pressure. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • In a scenario like you said where you're waiting for O2 is being depleted, eventually you just pass out like you're feeling light headed and you fall asleep and don't wake up I would think?  If they're still down there they'll be clinging on to some hope that they'll be found, and then fall asleep after 3 days (or less). I suppose it's that hope that would keep them sane to some degree.  If the hull was breached then it's instantaneous.

Whereas the guy who got killed by a shark - that's what would really terrify me in my final moments. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7360
    In a scenario like you said where you're waiting for O2 is being depleted, eventually you just pass out like you're feeling light headed and you fall asleep and don't wake up I would think?  If they're still down there they'll be clinging on to some hope that they'll be found, and then fall asleep after 3 days (or less). I suppose it's that hope that would keep them sane to some degree.  If the hull was breached then it's instantaneous.

Whereas the guy who got killed by a shark - that's what would really terrify me in my final moments. 
    That shark clip absolutely terrified me, possibly the most upsetting thing Ive ever seen
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1626
    In a scenario like you said where you're waiting for O2 is being depleted, eventually you just pass out like you're feeling light headed and you fall asleep and don't wake up I would think?  If they're still down there they'll be clinging on to some hope that they'll be found, and then fall asleep after 3 days (or less). I suppose it's that hope that would keep them sane to some degree.  If the hull was breached then it's instantaneous.

That shark clip absolutely terrified me, possibly the most upsetting thing Ive ever seen
    I agree and really wish I'd not seen it. Its difficult to un-see something like that. 

Unfortunately oxygen starvation is not a pleasant, quick, clean death. Its certainly not like just drifting off to sleep. Victims will be coughing and struggling for breath at first, then getting horrendous headaches and delirium, followed by a lot of pain as their organs gradually shut down. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Gandalph said:

I agree and really wish I'd not seen it. Its difficult to un-see something like that. 
    I saw screenshots on some news websites and that was enough for me.  I'm also aware there's a video circulating but no way will I press play if it landed in my inbox.  Like a lot of people, I too saw Jaws when I was a kid and that terror that my imagination created is still inside me.    
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12460
    axisus said:
    Scary scary. You would never get me in a thing like that. Not even on dry land. 
    I think you'd be pretty safe on dry land. =)
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Offset said:
    Apparently the only vehicle controls in this submersible are a Playstation controller and a solitary 'button'.  I find this quite staggering.  And with no backup sub in the operating company's fleet, well... who in their right mind would want to go down in it?  Let alone for the purpose of ghoulishly raking over a submerged graveyard?

Perplexing.  And whilst hoping for a happy ending, I very much doubt this will end well.
    I have a strong suspicion that's just news media sensationalising the control mechanisms. I have no doubt there will be some form of redundancy and back up.  

And there are very few submarines capable of going to this depth, so I can't see how they could have a backup, or how much use it would be.
  • Switch625Switch625 Frets: 591

I have a strong suspicion that's just news media sensationalising the control mechanisms. I have no doubt there will be some form of redundancy and back up.  

And there are very few submarines capable of going to this depth, so I can't see how they could have a backup, or how much use it would be.
    Not according to this guy:

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12468
    Offset said:
    Apparently the only vehicle controls in this submersible are a Playstation controller and a solitary 'button'.  I find this quite staggering.  And with no backup sub in the operating company's fleet, well... who in their right mind would want to go down in it?  Let alone for the purpose of ghoulishly raking over a submerged graveyard?

Perplexing.  And whilst hoping for a happy ending, I very much doubt this will end well.
    via Bluetooth no less.  (although it is said that it can't use cable due to pressure)

Loses connection or run out of battery....hit something...game over.
    I suspect the people involved in the dives are told in no uncertain terms that what they are doing is very dangerous and that if something goes wrong, there is no help for them.

Like everyone who climbs Everest every year, they all know there will be a number of fatalities. 

They accept it because they are doing something most people don't do, and also because of the old fashioned "it won't happen to me" psychological block that lets mankind climb mountains, go in one-off submarines down to underwater tombs, and go to war.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12468
    ...I'd also imagine they probably, even if the controller uses bluetooth, do have some kind of redundant control systems.  I'd not trust myself 100% to a technology that is going to connect me to my neighbour's soundbar whenever I want to blow the ballast tanks.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12524
    Offset said:

Not according to recent footage shot inside the sub and shown on BBC News today.  It really was a button... and a PS controller.  They may of course pack a spare controller and some spare batteries, but apart from that...
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16981
    Offset said:

via Bluetooth no less.  (although it is said that it can't use cable due to pressure)

Loses connection or run out of battery....hit something...game over.
    I suspect the people involved in the dives are told in no uncertain terms that what they are doing is very dangerous and that if something goes wrong, there is no help for them.

Like everyone who climbs Everest every year, they all know there will be a number of fatalities. 

They accept it because they are doing something most people don't do, and also because of the old fashioned "it won't happen to me" psychological block that lets mankind climb mountains, go in one-off submarines down to underwater tombs, and go to war.
    This.

They will have been fully aware of the slim chance of rescue if something went wrong.

With things like the Everest example you are told there is a good chance rescue won't even be attempted.   People pay a lot of money to do it anyway.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12524

"The BBC’s US partner CBS sent one of its reporters on a voyage with the same company last year to see the wreck of the Titanic.

In his report, David Pogue reads from what appears to be a waiver which describes the submersible as an “experimental” vessel, "that has not been approved or certified by any regulatory body, and could result in physical injury, disability, emotional trauma or death"."

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5203
    Looks like The Kraken Wakes has come true, 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5798
    This bit lifted from the beeb fills me with dread:

Before the sub begins its dive, a support team locks the crew inside by closing the hatch from the outside and sealing it shut with 17 bolts.

So, even in the event that the sub has dropped its ballast, has re-floated and is bobbing around on the surface of the ocean, the occupants can't even get out!  

I have no idea whether it has the ability to draw in air from the outside, but can't help thinking that it probably doesn't.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6183
    jonnyburgo said:

I think you'd be pretty safe on dry land. =)
    Not completely. You are unable to exit the vessel unless someone on the outside unscrews the hatch.
    edited June 2023
    If it’s somehow managed to surface I’d imagine it has some sort of homing beacon that could show where it was? From the news there’s already several US and Canadian military aircraft out looking for it on the surface and with sonar, but nothing has shown up. I reckon it’s already at the bottom of the ocean. 
  • ColsCols Frets: 7301
    Leaving to one side the needle-in-a-haystack challenge of locating a very small submersible in a very big ocean - if it was found before their oxygen runs out, what can be done to rescue the occupants?