Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Les Paul Custom going rate/buying advice

What's Hot
LoobsLoobs Frets: 3856
edited December 2023 in Guitar
I’d like to treat myself for my 40th which is coming up relatively soon. Interested in a black custom. Probably not vintage, so 80s/90s on. What’s the going rate for one that’s in good condition, has frets and isn’t a boat anchor, and what years/specs should I look out for/avoid?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7228
    At a somewhat informed guess, about £3k.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • I know 70's Les Paul Customs in very good condition - no neck break repairs and finish in what I would call very very good condition for their age that they look like they where rarely if ever played, go for between £4-£7k, which I find hilarious considering how much hate Norlin era Gibsons get - I personally like the Norlin era Gibson especially their necks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3856
    edited December 2023
    The absolute max I’d want to spend would be 3.5/4k. £7k is madness. Would consider a 70s if it didn’t need a refret. I’m not anti-Norlin on principal; a good guitar is a good guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7441
    Try and play as many as you can and get the one you like regardless of if the specs are what people will tell you are correct. 
    The black one was my dream guitar, and it still is visually, but I've got a sunburst one that's loads nicer to play. I just got the black one sight unseen and I'm sure had I played a load of them I'd have got a black one I'd want to play as well as look at.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12630
    <insert joke about Chibson thread here>
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    DefaultM said:
    Try and play as many as you can and get the one you like regardless of if the specs are what people will tell you are correct. 
    The black one was my dream guitar, and it still is visually, but I've got a sunburst one that's loads nicer to play. I just got the black one sight unseen and I'm sure had I played a load of them I'd have got a black one I'd want to play as well as look at.
    so you have sunburst and black? 
  • I have a 1980 Custom & a 1987 Custom and they are both very different. 

The 1980 is 100% original and has T Top pickups and a pretty thin neck with tiny frets and it weighs a ton. 

The 1987 was original when i got it but after a few years with it the frets needed replacing so i took it to Feline guitars and had jumbos put on it (6000s) as well as a new tone pros bridge as the original had bowed and also a compensated nut, has Tim Shaw Pickups and they stayed of course! The 1987 now plays amazing, better than it did before and the compensated nut adds tuning stability and intonation is spot on.

I personally wouldn't let a refret put me off as a played guitar is a sign of a good guitar, and on the most part new frets improve a Les Paul once the nibs are out the way it gives you more vibrato area. Dan Stevens from Inglorious gets his Gibsons refretted the second he gets em to jumbos and i see why lol

A refret could also save you a bunch as it will put some dudes off.

I'd say play a few as the 87 neck is thicker than the 80, both are similar weights but both sound and play totally different .

There is a stunner on ebay at the moment, 1990 and its mint!

Not into thick necks but also not into very heavy guitars. Don't want a case queen as I'll be gigging it often and not always in the fanciest of venues. Refret isn't a deal breaker. Tiny frets won't work for me. Thanks for the reply. 
    Yes, that 1990 one you posted is indeed very nice. 
  • Loobs said:
    Not into thick necks but also not into very heavy guitars. Don't want a case queen as I'll be gigging it often and not always in the fanciest of venues. Refret isn't a deal breaker. Tiny frets won't work for me. Thanks for the reply. 

Most customs will have the tiny frets dude, fretless wonder i think are gone now but theyre still pretty small.

Richard Henry always has good stock of old customs
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1511
    I had my 1970 refretted, as I couldn't get on with the small frets.  It made a huge difference in how it plays.
  • PhilKing said:
    I had my 1970 refretted, as I couldn't get on with the small frets.  It made a huge difference in how it plays.

That is PROPER!!!
  • Craigeymac86Craigeymac86 Frets: 91
    edited December 2023

• 0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    PhilKing said:

That is PROPER!!!
    That is fucking awesome, truly. I will also whip off the bridge pickup cover. 

Very cool, as is the chainsaw case. 
  • Loobs said:

Very cool, as is the chainsaw case. 

From the 1980 one but it makes a nice pic lol
    So the '87 is white? 
  • They can look cool, but I've never really understood why Customs are so very much more expensive than Standards. A bit more bling, yes, but two grands worth? 

I suppose if people are willing pay the asking price, then who am I to question it. Being a P90 guy, I'd love a '54 spec Custom, but I'm not prepared to pay that kind of dough.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Loobs said:
    So the '87 is white? 

yup