Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Les Paul Custom going rate/buying advice

What's Hot

Comments

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
    DefaultM said:
    Loobs said:
    Hmm...tell me more?
    Pretty much what people then went on to say. I bend a lot and the G string in particular is not stable. I expected it to be the guitar I could play anything I wanted on, but you can't really concentrate on that when it's always going out of tune.
    I've had a new nut and tried different ways of wrapping the strings round the tuner. When the old nut came out it was glued in very heavily and took a load of paint off the side of the neck with it, so when it continued to go out of tune with the new nut I wasn't thrilled.
    Bummer. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5214
    Loobs said:
    DefaultM said:
    Loobs said:
    Hmm...tell me more?
    Pretty much what people then went on to say. I bend a lot and the G string in particular is not stable. I expected it to be the guitar I could play anything I wanted on, but you can't really concentrate on that when it's always going out of tune.
    I've had a new nut and tried different ways of wrapping the strings round the tuner. When the old nut came out it was glued in very heavily and took a load of paint off the side of the neck with it, so when it continued to go out of tune with the new nut I wasn't thrilled.
    Bummer. 
    Les Paul Customs are no worse than other LP style guitars for this, if you've had no issues previously then I'd argue you wouldn't with one of them either. Once the strings are stretched in and aged a bit, the nut is lubed, it's a minor issue I find.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5214
    tony99 said:
    Boromedic said:
    Loobs said:
    How aggressively do you play? 
    Pretty aggressively

TBF, I can pull a Fender out of tune as well, they aren't immune to it either. I notice also a lot of pro bands with 3 a side headstocks guitars will change guitars quite a bit during a gig.
    Not nearly the same amount or frequency at all. Fenders are almost infinitely more reliable. 
    My irrelevant anecdotal experience is: my LP standard has the issue (G-string, but easily remedied), my LP traditional had the issue (same string), my LP special didn't have an issue, my flying V doesn't either.

Any fender I've had (currently have MIM strat and tele) has never had the issue.
    I think a V has a straighter string travel so probably less of an issue on that, no idea with a Special!

I still pull Strats and me Squier Tele out of whack though (not as easily granted!), although the Custom Shop Tele I had was rock solid TBF.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3466
    edited December 2023
    Loobs said:
    Didn't have this problem with any Gibson or Gibson-esque guitars in the past...

I never had a Gibson with tuning issues, even my ones with Bigsbys on them, and I not afraid to play aggressively on them, and besides having them setup - I can't be arsed to do this myself and wasted a stupid amount of money buy all the tools and jigs from places like Stew Mac and Crimson to do it myself which I never used, and have never had I to use gimmicks like that stupid String Butler or Nut Buster crap, or even swap out parts for that matter.  Gibson are not the only brand that uses 3 a side headstocks, many brands do, Yamaha have them, PRS, Music Man, and not to mention one of the more popular British builders who is a member here, as well as many others for their electric guitars, and not to mention every acoustic, and classical guitar has 3 a side headstocks, and you don't here people pissing and moaning about the tuning stability of their guitars.  Gibson for some reason seems to be the brand that is fashionable to hate at the moment, at least in the U.K. anyway.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7448
     you don't here people pissing and moaning 
    Second time I've heard this phrase on here within a couple of days. Can we knock the pissing on the head please, and just moan.

Otherwise it's going to get a bit smelly.

Cheers
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99 said:
     you don't here people pissing and moaning 
    Second time I've heard this phrase on here within a couple of days. Can we knock the pissing on the head please, and just moan.

Otherwise it's going to get a bit smelly.

Cheers

You don't want the soggy feet either.
  • jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 320
    For what it’s worth, I’ve never had tuning issues with my ‘99 white Custom in 20 years. Tuners are original Grovers, nut is original, saddles I changed to Graphtech but I doubt that has a huge bearing on it. Properly stretched in strings and it does 2-3 hour sets without a single retune, and I do a lot of bends and such. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10591
    edited December 2023
    tony99 said:
    Boromedic said:
    Loobs said:
    How aggressively do you play? 
    Pretty aggressively

TBF, I can pull a Fender out of tune as well, they aren't immune to it either. I notice also a lot of pro bands with 3 a side headstocks guitars will change guitars quite a bit during a gig.
    Not nearly the same amount or frequency at all. Fenders are almost infinitely more reliable. 
    My irrelevant anecdotal experience is: my LP standard has the issue (G-string, but easily remedied), my LP traditional had the issue (same string), my LP special didn't have an issue, my flying V doesn't either.

Any fender I've had (currently have MIM strat and tele) has never had the issue.
    Exactly the same with me, the G. It's infuriating. I've wasted thousands. The V is different because of the straight through string angle. 
    edited December 2023
    Loobs said:
    Didn't have this problem with any Gibson or Gibson-esque guitars in the past...

I never had a Gibson with tuning issues, even my ones with Bigsbys on them, and I not afraid to play aggressively on them, and besides having them setup - I can't be arsed to do this myself and wasted a stupid amount of money buy all the tools and jigs from places like Stew Mac and Crimson to do it myself which I never used, and have never had I to use gimmicks like that stupid String Butler or Nut Buster crap, or even swap out parts for that matter.  Gibson are not the only brand that uses 3 a side headstocks, many brands do, Yamaha have them, PRS, Music Man, and not to mention one of the more popular British builders who is a member here, as well as many others for their electric guitars, and not to mention every acoustic, and classical guitar has 3 a side headstocks, and you don't here people pissing and moaning about the tuning stability of their guitars.  Gibson for some reason seems to be the brand that is fashionable to hate at the moment, at least in the U.K. anyway.
    You're so desperate to get your angry response out that you haven't stopped to think whether you actually understand the issue. 

The issue is not the 3x3 headstock style as such, it is the position of the tuners on the headstock and it's the angle through the nut into those tuners on some guitars, like many Gibsons. They have to be set up and the nut cut in a particular way, and even then people still issues with them. Feline may not have these issues, I couldn't say. I had an ESP Eclipse that was much better than a Gibson LP but still went out of tune quicker than any Strat I've owned. 

Musicman, PRS don't have this issue because they have designed this out of their guitars for a reason. Why do you think the headstocks are designed like that?

Gibsons can be hit or miss for lots of people, and some may have tuning issues and some may not but Bigsbys? Everyone knows it's a disaster for tuning on any brand. It's got nothing to do with shitting on Gibson, I have two hung on my wall right now. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    pt22 said:
    Meh, that’s not a LP. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2023
    Loobs said:
    pt22 said:
    Meh, that’s not a LP. 
    No, it's probably better. ;) 
    Yeah I’m sure it’s good. 
  • Craigeymac86Craigeymac86 Frets: 116
    edited December 2023

Loobs said:
    pt22 said:
    Meh, that’s not a LP. 
    No, it's probably better.  

Having played Feline when i went to get the refret, they are indeed amazing.

However i think @loobs is like me, it doesnt say GIbson it it lol we grew up watching our heroes playing them and now we want em lol

Loobs said:
    pt22 said:
    Meh, that’s not a LP. 
    No, it's probably better.  

Having played Feline when i went to get the refret, they are indeed amazing.

However i think @loobs is like me, it doesnt say GIbson it it lol we grew up watching our heroes playing them and now we want em lol
    Yea I'm a bit like that too. 
    Yeah, and the thread is about buying a Gibson…
  • topdog91topdog91 Frets: 417
    It's not authentic.
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
  • Loobs said:
    pt22 said:
    Meh, that’s not a LP. 
    It's a custom, though.

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    Loobs said:
    pt22 said:
    Meh, that’s not a LP. 
    No, it's probably better. ;) 
    That one is kind of like a Standard with Custom Inlays as the body has the single ply binding  etc
    It has BKP Mules and Grovers etc so it has some damn nice features 
    It also weighs about 8.5lbs so it's not like wearing a small family size car round your neck 

I do get the thing of wanting to have the same brand name as your heroes for that childhood/teenage dream "cool factor" but at the end of the day I'd personally choose the better sounding /playing guitar from a playing sake rather than bragging rights.

Having said that we love taking Gibsons and making them play to their best as we did for Craig.(and countless others)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

topdog91 said:
    It's not authentic.
    How is it not authentic? Is it not a real Feline?