Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Les Paul Custom going rate/buying advice

What's Hot

Comments

• EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 691
    I'm forever in a conundrum about my LP Custom. 1979 and very much a fretless wonder. 

It's all original and I'm loathe to mess with the frets. Losing the nibs is a big deal to some people and I do have an eye on the value of it as something to pass down to the kids one day. It would no doubt would get more use if I got it refretted, but I have two other Les Pauls with modern frets if I need to do big bends on an LP. 

Bit of pointless musing for you there OP. In answer to your question, I think a range of £2.5k - £4k is reasonable depending on condition, originality, colour etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10591
    Epsilon said:
    I'm forever in a conundrum about my LP Custom. 1979 and very much a fretless wonder. 

It's all original and I'm loathe to mess with the frets. Losing the nibs is a big deal to some people and I do have an eye on the value of it as something to pass down to the kids one day. It would no doubt would get more use if I got it refretted, but I have two other Les Pauls with modern frets if I need to do big bends on an LP. 

Bit of pointless musing for you there OP. In answer to your question, I think a range of £2.5k - £4k is reasonable depending on condition, originality, colour etc.
    You can keep the nibs, you just need a skilled enough person to refret it and be willing to spend the money. 
  • topdog91topdog91 Frets: 417
    Voxman said:
    topdog91 said:
    Voxman said:
    Aside from the double binding, Grovers, ebony board, diamond etc they do feel, sound and play very different to a Standard. Neither is better or worse than the other, they are just different.  I have a 1990 Custom that I love but I'd also like to get a Standard too... Perhaps a gold top or lemomdrop. 
    *Very* different? How so?
    I think you're just going to have to try one of each to answer that. 
    Well, I was asking why you think they are "very different", so doubt that will help.
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
  • Mike58Mike58 Frets: 167
    I have a 90s LPC and a CS R9 Murphy, they are different in a few ways ( to me)
    LPC feels slicker, refined but powerful.
    R9 feels raw, louder shoutier.
    which one would I grab in a house fire…
    Both.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    Epsilon said:

In my opinion a quality refret will not detract from any resale value whatsoever - If anything it can make the guitar more desirable to a player - Imagine you are now the potential buyer - You plug it in and give it a test drive - You like many factors of the guitar, but it plays/feels so bad - Now try the same guitar a couple of weeks later, after it has spent time with a good tech for a refret  - It now plays far better - Which is the more desirable example to most buyers

I recall such a scenario a number of years ago, with a local customer - He now owned a number of nice guitars, but he still had strong feelings for his late 70's LP Custom - Apparently I sold it to him in 1978 - But he just hated the whole feel/playability, compared to other guitars - But as it was his first pro-grade guitar he was sentimentally attached to it - But it just sat in its case these days

After finally listening to me, many months later,  he had it re-fretted - He now thanks me for putting life back into his old fav - It has come back to be his #1 again 

Even with top end vintage pieces from the 50's and 60's 'golden era' then only a few would ever object to a good re-fret - But all will object to worn, small, crap and knackered frets 

Again I've only known a few players/customers ever go down the route of wanting a re-fret on a Gibson and keep the nibs - I'm sure techs like @FelineGuitars and @SteveRobinson  etc will pass additional comment on this - Personally I prefer the frets over the binding with no nibs - Think JoBo does as well 
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 691
    @guitars4you interesting! So of you were selling two identical LPCs - one with original frets and nibs and one that had been refretted over the binding - would you price them the same?
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
    I'm not super worried about nibs. If it's a nice refret, I couldn't care less. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    Epsilon said:
    @guitars4you interesting! So of you were selling two identical LPCs - one with original frets and nibs and one that had been refretted over the binding - would you price them the same?
    Based on 2 identical guitars, regarding condition etc, then yes, same price - I certainly would not price it lower and if it played so much better, as I'd expect it to, then I'd be even thinking about charging a touch more as IMO, and others it is a more desirable piece to a player - Most would do likewise, be it a private sale, or a dealer - I can understand originality having an impact with regards to finish, headstock repairs, changed pick-ups etc - But not to the frets 

With regards to pots, even saddles and tuners it can depend on how 'workable' they are - Original pots, that are scratchy and worn are neither use nor ornament - But I would accept that it might have an impact on value - Depends on rarity/vintage/collectability - even with a Gibson this can have a negligible impact - ie a new loom with 500K good pots is more desirable, to many, than an original loom with 300k pots, especially if worn/scratchy  - This can also depend on how good. player it is 

Ref a good refret to such a guitar - I think if you check out this forum and other forums, be it LP/Gibson, or others it is a bit of a debate about any impact to the value  - But to most players, worn frets and a poor player are a turn off - I've known, or heard before, of a potential buyer to such a guitar like yours, asking for a discount, to cover the cost of a good refret - I'm sure other FB members will throw in their 10 Kenneth about this topic - Create a fresh topic if you like - But a) a regret will improve how your guitar feels/plays and that is almost 100% set in stone and b) the re-fret will have no impact on the value on such a guitar  

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    edited January 2 tFB Trader
    If you have small or worn frets on a bound neck and intend to go larger then the existing nibs will be too small anyway to keep, so you would have to start building them up with melted down binding material. It's heck of a lot ore work to convince someone that you had no work done, and making a huge assumption that people care oh so much about that - other than the perpetuated internet logic which always goes unchallenged and is a crafty way for dealers to knock you down on price IMO if you have a guitar that has ben reworked.

The assumption that your kids will fully appreciate all the vintage correct intricacies of your guitars (unless they are guitar nerds) that they will inherit. 
    They may get sold on to fund whatever the future holds in a world as yet unknown. 
    Whether they stand their ground to impress someone it's still got it's nibs is another thing.

Personal opinion here
    I strongly feel that people should enjoy the things they own to the max - be it guitars, golf clubs or a sports car.
    That means playing that guitar so much that you put genuine mileage on it enjoying playing killer riffs solos and tunes
    The sports car should be driven, not just washed and waxed on a Sunday to keep the mileage down for the next guy
    We get one time round on this ride - concentrate on having fun
    Guitars are meant to be played, not just kept like exhibits in a museum

We get players who spend say £365+ on a refret, but then play that guitar for an hour a day every day for the next year 
    The upgrade for their great pleasure cost them £1 a day and after the first year that cost falls and falls.
    You can't buy a coffee for that much on a daily basis if you get what i mean

Sorry for further sidelining the OP's thread

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 866
    edited January 2
    I had a 76 black custom many many moons ago. Weighed a ton and sounded terrific. Being young I sold it! -mistake! Had a white one I forget what year. Weighed a ton and sounded terrible! Sold that too- no mistake! I don’t play Lesters any more live coz they don’t stay in tune- neither do V’s nor explorers
    edited January 9
  • I had a 76 black custom many many moons ago. Weighed a ton and sounded terrific. Being young I sold it! -mistake! Had a white one I forget what year. Weighed a ton and sounded terrible! Sold that too- no mistake! I don’t play Lesters any more live coz they don’t stay in tune- neither do V’s nor explorers
    They do if you put one of these on them.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
    Man alive that thing is f**king ugly. 
  • edited January 9
    Loobs said:
    Man alive that thing is f**king ugly. 
    Yup, and it goes over the Les Paul logo in an annoying way too, but it does work. Depends on whether your priority is to look cool, or to stay in tune.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
    Neither/both 
    I had a 76 black custom many many moons ago. Weighed a ton and sounded terrific. Being young I sold it! -mistake! Had a white one I forget what year. Weighed a ton and sounded terrible! Sold that too- no mistake! I don’t play Lesters any more live coz they don’t stay in tune- neither do V’s nor explorers
    They do if you put one of these on them.
    They do an the acrylic/see through one too, but I use the one that replaces the Truss rod cover and it's much better than that one, but it still doesn't hold tuning as well as my Fenders. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    edited January 10
    You can always just cut & file the nut properly you know... 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 10
    Yea, because no one's ever tried that before. ;) 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    Yea, because no one's ever tried that before. ;) 
    LOADS of people do it wrong... 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Yeah, this is all pretty new for me, I'm quite surprised at the number of people moaning about tuning stability. I gigged a Tokai LPC, an SG and various others for a long time and don't remember it being such an issue. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom