Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Les Paul Custom going rate/buying advice

What's Hot
1234568»

Comments

• Was always underwhelmed by the Customs I tried. Though I did miss out on an R7 that I regret dearly (a friend passed, his collection was for sale, but I was poor).

However, I now have a Tokai Silverburst Custom, 1 of 4, ebony board, lacquer finish, ABR-1 bridge etc (basically a silverburst R7, 50's profile neck) and it is incredible. As is the lacquer Tokai '54 Goldtop (better than the Gibson CS equivalent I tried).

So, if it doesn't NEED to be a Gibson, I'd highly suggest going for a Japanese build. Personally, I don't like Nashville style bridges so anything 'modern' Custom wouldn't be for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 473
    I may be missing the point but where Les Pauls are concerned I find just playing as many as you can until you find one you like is about the best buying strategy. By all means limit your choice to a particular aesthetic but the variance is so great it is as likely you will find "the one" somewhere you don't expect it.

This is my Les Paul. There are many like it but this one is mine.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_Pqm7oEcUniQzh0V2lUUDh2RTNnZU16Mm5YakZXR1NfYWNv/view?usp=drive_link&resourcekey=0-nulrWbVFsUCCFDaWcA8GVQ

It's a 2006 standard and was about the 43000th guitar I tried when I went shopping for a proper guitar with no budgetary restrictions, before the kids arrived and the money disappeared. I had a go on everything but once I found this one I kept coming back to it. I wasn't even looking specifically for a Gibson or a LP type. I tried strats, teles, assorted PRSs, Gretsches, you name it. This one just felt like home. Still does after nearly 20 years. I tried far more expensive customs and generally annoyed the hell out of most of Denmark St as it was back then. I have no doubt there are "better" guitars in the world but this one is the right one for me at least. Makes buying one a PiTA but worth the effort when you hit the jackpot.

(apologies for google drive not serving images properly by the way)
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3856
    Was always underwhelmed by the Customs I tried. Though I did miss out on an R7 that I regret dearly (a friend passed, his collection was for sale, but I was poor).

However, I now have a Tokai Silverburst Custom, 1 of 4, ebony board, lacquer finish, ABR-1 bridge etc (basically a silverburst R7, 50's profile neck) and it is incredible. As is the lacquer Tokai '54 Goldtop (better than the Gibson CS equivalent I tried).

So, if it doesn't NEED to be a Gibson, I'd highly suggest going for a Japanese build. Personally, I don't like Nashville style bridges so anything 'modern' Custom wouldn't be for me.
    I think I'd rather a Gibson. That being said, show me your Tokai. 
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3856
    snowblind said:
    I may be missing the point but where Les Pauls are concerned I find just playing as many as you can until you find one you like is about the best buying strategy. By all means limit your choice to a particular aesthetic but the variance is so great it is as likely you will find "the one" somewhere you don't expect it.

This is my Les Paul. There are many like it but this one is mine.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_Pqm7oEcUniQzh0V2lUUDh2RTNnZU16Mm5YakZXR1NfYWNv/view?usp=drive_link&resourcekey=0-nulrWbVFsUCCFDaWcA8GVQ

It's a 2006 standard and was about the 43000th guitar I tried when I went shopping for a proper guitar with no budgetary restrictions, before the kids arrived and the money disappeared. I had a go on everything but once I found this one I kept coming back to it. I wasn't even looking specifically for a Gibson or a LP type. I tried strats, teles, assorted PRSs, Gretsches, you name it. This one just felt like home. Still does after nearly 20 years. I tried far more expensive customs and generally annoyed the hell out of most of Denmark St as it was back then. I have no doubt there are "better" guitars in the world but this one is the right one for me at least. Makes buying one a PiTA but worth the effort when you hit the jackpot.

(apologies for google drive not serving images properly by the way)
    Cool guitar and good advice. I'm pretty set on a Custom, though. At least, right now. 
  • distresseddistressed Frets: 555
    nero1701 said:
      not fking her so that she stays tight for the next guy!

I see what you did here hehe. It's there but it's not there. Clever.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1550
    nero1701 said:
      not fking her so that she stays tight for the next guy!

I see what you did here hehe. It's there but it's not there. Clever.
    Ok, I know it was crass. Wasn't mine originally, I knicked the quote.
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 646
    edited February 23
    Sorry to resurrect a slightly dead thread, but thought this might be of interest.

Is this really the going rate for a 1969? At least double what I'd have guessed, possibly even triple. I feel like Richtone are usually pretty spot on with their valuations, so was a bit surprised at this.

https://richtonemusic.co.uk/gibson-les-paul-custom-1969-ebony-hard-case-collection-only-2nd-hand/
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32043
    £404?
    Bargain!

;)
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5117
    Epsilon said:
    Sorry to resurrect a slightly dead thread, but thought this might be of interest.

Is this really the going rate for a 1969? At least double what I'd have guessed, possibly even triple. I feel like Richtone are usually pretty spot on with their valuations, so was a bit surprised at this.

https://richtonemusic.co.uk/gibson-les-paul-custom-1969-ebony-hard-case-collection-only-2nd-hand/
    I think the last ‘69 Custom that ATB had was up for £16k. So yes, the Richtone one is overpriced.  :)
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/