Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Les Paul Custom going rate/buying advice

What's Hot

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10406
    You can always just cut & file the nut properly you know... 
    Yea, because no one's ever tried that before. ;) 
    LOADS of people do it wrong... 
    Maybe, but I don't think the people I've used are. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Loobs said:
    Yeah, this is all pretty new for me, I'm quite surprised at the number of people moaning about tuning stability. I gigged a Tokai LPC, an SG and various others for a long time and don't remember it being such an issue. 
    My B7 stays in tune at very hot gigs, or indeed as it was on Saturday night a very cold gig that got hot. Can stay in a case for months beforehand and a couple of tiny tweaks, it's ready to go.

I use relatively heavy strings though, so maybe that helps. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7228
    Deijavoo said:
    Loobs said:
    Yeah, this is all pretty new for me, I'm quite surprised at the number of people moaning about tuning stability. I gigged a Tokai LPC, an SG and various others for a long time and don't remember it being such an issue. 
    My B7 stays in tune at very hot gigs, or indeed as it was on Saturday night a very cold gig that got hot. Can stay in a case for months beforehand and a couple of tiny tweaks, it's ready to go.

How heavy? I'm thinking of going up a grade on either my LP or my flying V
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    edited January 15
    Deijavoo said:

This helps yea. Also if you're not doing a lot of bends helps, or not playing with a lot of gain as it won't be as noticeable. 
  • I've been after a custom for probably 20 years. I did buy one over ten years ago which turned out to be fake, but luckily managed to get my money back. 

I've seen this one for sale and don't want the same thing to happen again. Does it look legit?

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27892
    I've been after a custom for probably 20 years. I did buy one over ten years ago which turned out to be fake, but luckily managed to get my money back. 

I've seen this one for sale and don't want the same thing to happen again. Does it look legit?

Yep looks good :) 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2477
    edited January 16
    I've been after a custom for probably 20 years. I did buy one over ten years ago which turned out to be fake, but luckily managed to get my money back. 

Yep, no alarm bells on that at all, at least regarding the guitar itself. Serial dates it to 2018, so bear in mind it will have a Richlite board if that matters to you (having owned a Richlite board 2017, it really shouldn't unless you must have wood grain).

However, I'd want to know what happened to the original case. My 2017 came with the Lifton reissue-style case, with the less defined shape and less fluffy pink lining.

The case in question, with the fluffy shroud, is an early 90s Gibson USA case. Absence of original Custom Shop case could also mean absence of COA, which might not be something you're bothered about but might bother someone else should you sell it on. So I'd want all that explained by the seller.
    Tim
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3856
    Deijavoo said:
    Loobs said:

Are you talking about a Bigsby? On which guitar?
  • timmypix said:

Yep, no alarm bells on that at all, at least regarding the guitar itself. Serial dates it to 2018, so bear in mind it will have a Richlite board if that matters to you (having owned a Richlite board 2017, it really shouldn't unless you must have wood grain).

However, I'd want to know what happened to the original case. My 2017 came with the Lifton reissue-style case, with the less defined shape and less fluffy pink lining.

The case in question, with the fluffy shroud, is an early 90s Gibson USA case. Absence of original Custom Shop case could also mean absence of COA, which might not be something you're bothered about but might bother someone else should you sell it on. So I'd want all that explained by the seller.
    Thanks. And thanks to @stickyfiddle too.

It's advertised as a 2008 with an Ebony board. The seller says its missing the COA, didn't mention the case. I'm not sure if this missing case and COA would bother me, but it always makes me a bit suspicious when a guitar is missing there's things, how does it happen?

I've messaged the seller anyway, let's see what happens.
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2477

Thanks. And thanks to @stickyfiddle too.

It's advertised as a 2008 with an Ebony board. The seller says its missing the COA, didn't mention the case. I'm not sure if this missing case and COA would bother me, but it always makes me a bit suspicious when a guitar is missing there's things, how does it happen?

I've messaged the seller anyway, let's see what happens.
    Ah, yes, the joys of CS serials - it could well be 2008, in which case it'll have an ebony board. The 2008 case would be black with a red interior. Unfortunately, given that CS are now reusing serials every ten years, the case and COA tend to be the only way to date it. I'm fairly sure a 2008 COA would just be a paper certificate rather than the booklets they started doing in the 2010s, so they're easily lost.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got a 2004 and it looks really similar to that, however mine has a black custom case, with a crushed red velvet interior. I haven't seen them in the brown cases with pink interior before from that period. I thought they were more like the 80's and 90's cases 
    Personally would appreciate having the COA
    tony99 said:
    Deijavoo said:
    Loobs said:

How heavy? I'm thinking of going up a grade on either my LP or my flying V
    Usually 11s, sometimes 12s. 
    Deijavoo said:

This helps yea. Also if you're not doing a lot of bends helps, or not playing with a lot of gain as it won't be as noticeable. 
    Tbf, i tend to bend as much as the next person.
    Loobs said:
    Deijavoo said:
    Loobs said:

Are you talking about a Bigsby? On which guitar?
    Sorry, no. A '57 reissue custom.
    Deijavoo said:
    Deijavoo said:

Tbf, i tend to bend as much as the next person.
    Depends who that person is ;) 
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1550

Personal opinion here
    I strongly feel that people should enjoy the things they own to the max - be it guitars, golf clubs or a sports car.
    That means playing that guitar so much that you put genuine mileage on it enjoying playing killer riffs solos and tunes
    The sports car should be driven, not just washed and waxed on a Sunday to keep the mileage down for the next guy
    We get one time round on this ride - concentrate on having fun
    Guitars are meant to be played, not just kept like exhibits in a museum

Having a sports car and keeping the mileage down is like having a supermodel girlfriend and not fking her so that she stays tight for the next guy!
    2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    nero1701 said:

Personal opinion here
    I strongly feel that people should enjoy the things they own to the max - be it guitars, golf clubs or a sports car.
    That means playing that guitar so much that you put genuine mileage on it enjoying playing killer riffs solos and tunes
    The sports car should be driven, not just washed and waxed on a Sunday to keep the mileage down for the next guy

Having a sports car and keeping the mileage down is like having a supermodel girlfriend and not fking her so that she stays tight for the next guy!
    You're a poet. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I’m not much of a bender (arf!) and would also use heavy strings, probably 11-56 or maybe even a 12 on top. 
    nero1701 said:

Personal opinion here

Wow, just wow. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom