Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Les Paul Custom going rate/buying advice

What's Hot

Comments

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3856
    They can look cool, but I've never really understood why Customs are so very much more expensive than Standards. A bit more bling, yes, but two grands worth? 

I suppose if people are willing pay the asking price, then who am I to question it. Being a P90 guy, I'd love a '54 spec Custom, but I'm not prepared to pay that kind of dough.
    I don't really like Standards for an aesthetic POV; always seem a bit blues-rock to me and look a bit like furniture, whereas Customs just look mean. I guess that's why you see more punk and metal players using them. But yeah, the upcharge doesn't really make much sense at all. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Loobs said:
    They can look cool, but I've never really understood why Customs are so very much more expensive than Standards. A bit more bling, yes, but two grands worth? 

I suppose if people are willing pay the asking price, then who am I to question it. Being a P90 guy, I'd love a '54 spec Custom, but I'm not prepared to pay that kind of dough.
    I don't really like Standards for an aesthetic POV; always seem a bit blues-rock to me and look a bit like furniture, whereas Customs just look mean. I guess that's why you see more punk and metal players using them. But yeah, the upcharge doesn't really make much sense at all. 

Im not up on newer models, but the older ones have real mother of pearl and ebony boards and loads more binding so would take longer to make and cost more too it my guess
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1511
    edited December 2023
    Loobs said:

Very cool, as is the chainsaw case. 
    I do like white customs, but when I saw this, I had to get it:
    It's a 2005 Custom Shop 60's LP/SG Custom, with nickel hardware.  It's so much easier on the back than the real LP's!

This is my 1955 Custom, after @WezV restored it from the mess it was in:

0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Two killer guitars, not into the 3-pickup thing though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKing said:

You are not helping my GAS! I'd love that, but I gig all my guitars. I would be terrified to take that out to a pub gig.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Same! 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7441
    Loobs said:
    DefaultM said:
    Try and play as many as you can and get the one you like regardless of if the specs are what people will tell you are correct. 
    The black one was my dream guitar, and it still is visually, but I've got a sunburst one that's loads nicer to play. I just got the black one sight unseen and I'm sure had I played a load of them I'd have got a black one I'd want to play as well as look at.
    so you have sunburst and black? 
    Yeah, a sunburst 1989 and a black 2005. 

Differences I would say the 1989 has got quite a skinny neck compared to the 2005, but the 2005 has got quite big frets. 

The finish on the 2005 is not great. All up both sides the neck are ridges where I think the neck meets the fretboard and the finish hasn't stuck to it or made some kind of reaction? Doesn't feel or look nice.

The paint on the back of the body got a bump and you can literally peel it off and reveal the bare mahogany below. It's like taking an easy peel sticker off, I could peel the entire back if I wanted. 

Headstock is my favourite part of a custom. The diamond inlays on the 1989 are absolutely perfect. The 2005 you can see that the slots have been cut too large, the inlay put in and then filler added at the points.

All these things have been explained to me as "That's just a Gibson. It's what they're like" so I don't think I got unlucky.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5025
    edited December 2023
    Just be wary of the pickups with the 90s and early 2000s Customs, and also weights, unusual to see one under 10lbs. Although they are great guitars though.

The 498T and 490R are pretty ropey pickups imo, however they may be better with changing the wiring to 50s. Factor in a new harness as a minimum though I'd say, makes a Les Paul more usable across the pickups and controls. I'd argue though you'd want to change the pickups too if they are the above ones. 

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

Yes, I'm pretty sure I'd at least swap out the bridge pickup for something from BK, possibly an Emerald or Black Dog. With no cover! 

Thanks all, this is a wealth of information. 
    DefaultM said:
    Loobs said:
    DefaultM said:
    Try and play as many as you can and get the one you like regardless of if the specs are what people will tell you are correct. 
    The black one was my dream guitar, and it still is visually, but I've got a sunburst one that's loads nicer to play. I just got the black one sight unseen and I'm sure had I played a load of them I'd have got a black one I'd want to play as well as look at.
    so you have sunburst and black? 
    Yeah, a sunburst 1989 and a black 2005. 

Differences I would say the 1989 has got quite a skinny neck compared to the 2005, but the 2005 has got quite big frets. 

The finish on the 2005 is not great. All up both sides the neck are ridges where I think the neck meets the fretboard and the finish hasn't stuck to it or made some kind of reaction? Doesn't feel or look nice.

The paint on the back of the body got a bump and you can literally peel it off and reveal the bare mahogany below. It's like taking an easy peel sticker off, I could peel the entire back if I wanted. 

Headstock is my favourite part of a custom. The diamond inlays on the 1989 are absolutely perfect. The 2005 you can see that the slots have been cut too large, the inlay put in and then filler added at the points.

All these things have been explained to me as "That's just a Gibson. It's what they're like" so I don't think I got unlucky.
    Wow, quite shocking that stuff about the 2005! 
  • some super tasty gibsons guys!!!
  • PhilKing said:
    Loobs said:

Very cool, as is the chainsaw case. 
    I do like white customs, but when I saw this, I had to get it:
    It's a 2005 Custom Shop 60's LP/SG Custom, with nickel hardware.  It's so much easier on the back than the real LP's!

wow!! more pics guys
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1466
    I have on loan a 2004 made in custom shop LPC in wine red. First year they transferred build of customs to custom shop. Actively looking at value of it on my brothers behalf, or for a potential purchase myself and 2.7-3k is about right for a sale price. E bay ask is circa 3.5k but 3k if you look about a bit for VGC ones maybe missing case candy.. Dealer i reckon pay 2.0-2.5.

It sounds really superb and has the sauce. Owned a 1979 LPC years ago and played a 1988 black beauty LPC and this is not quite as nice as the 88 sonically, but better than the 1979. They all sounded  like a more blues/jazz guitar vs standards to my novice ears. My SB59 does distortion, rock better.

The problem with play loads of them is that its difficult as many are private sellers and not abundant in shops where you would pay a premium anyway.

If a custom shop badge ticks the box then 2004 onwards are worth a look. This loaner is a very fine guitar, binding lips apart and weight. Otherwise, i would go late 80s/early 90s but may pay a bit more, maybe 3-3.5 arena.

I think the appeal of customs is that it is one of the most pleasing to look at guitars ever made. With the 2004+ custom shop badge, arguably easier to pass on if you dont get on with it.

Dont worry, be silly.
    Loobs said:
    Not into thick necks but also not into very heavy guitars. Don't want a case queen as I'll be gigging it often and not always in the fanciest of venues. Refret isn't a deal breaker. Tiny frets won't work for me. Thanks for the reply. 

Most customs will have the tiny frets dude, fretless wonder i think are gone now but theyre still pretty small.

Richard Henry always has good stock of old customs
    Why doesn't this bloody guy have a website? F*ck Facebook. 
    swiller said:
    I have on loan a 2004 made in custom shop LPC in wine red. First year they transferred build of customs to custom shop. Actively looking at value of it on my brothers behalf, or for a potential purchase myself and 2.7-3k is about right for a sale price. E bay ask is circa 3.5k but 3k if you look about a bit for VGC ones maybe missing case candy.. Dealer i reckon pay 2.0-2.5.

It sounds really superb and has the sauce. Owned a 1979 LPC years ago and played a 1988 black beauty LPC and this is not quite as nice as the 88 sonically, but better than the 1979. They all sounded  like a more blues/jazz guitar vs standards to my novice ears. My SB59 does distortion, rock better.

The problem with play loads of them is that its difficult as many are private sellers and not abundant in shops where you would pay a premium anyway.

If a custom shop badge ticks the box then 2004 onwards are worth a look. This loaner is a very fine guitar, binding lips apart and weight. Otherwise, i would go late 80s/early 90s but may pay a bit more, maybe 3-3.5 arena.

I think the appeal of customs is that it is one of the most pleasing to look at guitars ever made. With the 2004+ custom shop badge, arguably easier to pass on if you dont get on with it.

That's lovely, I'm a bit of a tart when it comes to colours, though, and wine red isn't really my cup of tea. Custom Shop badge isn't really a big deal for me. I don't want to have to resell it! 
  • swiller said:

thats a beauty
  • Loobs said:
    Loobs said:
    Not into thick necks but also not into very heavy guitars. Don't want a case queen as I'll be gigging it often and not always in the fanciest of venues. Refret isn't a deal breaker. Tiny frets won't work for me. Thanks for the reply. 

Most customs will have the tiny frets dude, fretless wonder i think are gone now but theyre still pretty small.

Richard Henry always has good stock of old customs
    Why doesn't this bloody guy have a website? F*ck Facebook. 

hes on instagram too

ocasionally posts here

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 929
    If you want to play a few, sixty six sounds on Denmark street (I know, I know) always have a few in stock. Normally Norlin era guitars, but some CS as well. 

I was lucky that the one I specifically wanted was not only the best player, but was on consignment in the shop so I got a private sale price. 

Good luck with the hunt, and happy BDay when it comes. They really are the ultimate rock machines. 

• Will have a 1983 white custom coming up for sale soon if that may be of interest 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14879
    tFB Trader
    Positive vibes for all those who said get a re-fret or find one that has had a refret

If it plays so well you’ll tolerate the weight - You won’t find any/many light weight Customs

But a refret and a better loom will improve nearly all Customs theatre now 30/40/50 years ols