Mr Bates Vs The Post Office

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27638
    edited April 25
    Gassage said:
    Offset said:
    ^^ "Incompetent" is the word.  She is staggeringly so.  A more inept performance it would be hard to find.
    I actually don't agree.

I think she's calculating and very competent, but narcissistic and flawed.
    Competent at arse-protection (see also long career in POL) and memory erasure (though, strangely, able to recall enough to put other names into the frame).

Incompetent at running a business effectively, where "running a business" entails ethical and moral obligations to staff, customers and wider communities as well as financial competence.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11873
    Gassage said:
    Offset said:
    ^^ "Incompetent" is the word.  She is staggeringly so.  A more inept performance it would be hard to find.
    I actually don't agree.

I think you're being way too generous James.  But if indeed this was the way she INTENDED to come across, I'd say it's backfired.  Resorting to "I don't remember" at the whiff of an awkward question doesn't cut it.

Regardless, Mr Beer looks like he's peeling the layers off an onion.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    Offset said:
    Gassage said:
    Offset said:
    I actually don't agree.

I think you're being way too generous James.  But if indeed this was the way she INTENDED to come across, I'd say it's backfired.  Resorting to "I don't remember" at the whiff of an awkward question doesn't cut it.

His mental agility around the files and evidence is astonishing.

It's like watching Mission Impossible but with a plausible plot.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14309
    edited April 25 tFB Trader
    The inquiry is all well and good - And ultimately it is there to find out 'how guilty' Paula Vennels and her predecessor's are - Inc Adam Crozier and Allan Leighton (Interesting both were part of Leeds United when it went bankrupt - Coincidence or what) - But who is putting up the barricades to stop this heading back to any government liability - 

Ed Davey, Norman Lamb, Jo Swinson and even at the end of the last labour term Ian McCartney must have had meetings and chats with the relevant PO executives - How is business - How is it going - Any concerns - Any issues - 'I heard an article on R5 the other night, whilst driving home, that it appears you have  a few criminals running your rural post offices, so please be careful who you employ' !!!!!!!!!!!! etc etc - But will appropriate barriers be put in place to ensure the buck stops at the board room of the PO

Reports have indicated that Dave's Government knew that PO Chiefs had secretly ditched forensic accountants who had raised questions about the Horizon package - A PO 'section' called Project Sparrow decided to sack Second Sight who wanted to look further into the issue and bring the investigation in-house - There was questions raised in parliament about this shortly after, towards Jo Swinson - Vince Cable was business secretary at the time - But equally why can't the Second Sight auditors raise questions in the press at least - A lot of silence !!!!!!!
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2777
    Gassage said:
    Offset said:
    Gassage said:
    Offset said:
    I actually don't agree.

His mental agility around the files and evidence is astonishing.

It's like watching Mission Impossible but with a plausible plot.
    As you know these people have astonishing brains. I remember a preparation meeting in chambers in London, on an engineering scheme inquiry where I was the technical expert on one side, in a field where everyone calls it a black art cos no-one understand it.  The Barrister blew me away with his ability in such a short time to understand the complex theoretical mechanics, the practical application of it, and then the strengths and weaknesses.  As someone with little previous knowledge and no engineering qualification his mental ability and capacity to (quickly) assimilate, validate and then challenge complex information was amazing.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I am LOVING the dustbin punishment, it just is a bit harsh on dustmen that their job would be a punishment to others, but I do love it.

also each and every day they have to watch the whole of the ITV series so it gets rammed home again and again, especially seeing how they were played and what the public see and think of them 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    "So, you weren't involved in this, you weren't involved in that, and you weren't involved in all sorts of other things.  Can you tell me what you were actually involved in during this time?"

:D
    TTony said:
    "So, you weren't involved in this, you weren't involved in that, and you weren't involved in all sorts of other things.  Can you tell me what you were actually involved in during this time?"

:D
    Yep.  Sounds like she had a very well paid job which required her to do, errrm, nothing.  Well, she can't remember doing anything, anyway...
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30931

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

IMG_8836.jpeg 476.8K
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    ^^ Not so much satire as a matter of public record...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    sev112 said:
    I am LOVING the dustbin punishment, it just is a bit harsh on dustmen that their job would be a punishment to others, but I do love it.

also each and every day they have to watch the whole of the ITV series so it gets rammed home again and again, especially seeing how they were played and what the public see and think of them 
    Yes I didn't mean it as a derogatory way to those that earn a living do such a job - But send them to prison costs a fortune - They'd be in a comfy open prison anyway - They are not an actual menace to society in the way a paedo  is - So take them into an environment, for 12 months, or more, that is a total humiliation to them 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12924
    Bin men only work one day a week so that doesn't really sound like much of a punishment  ;)
    sev112 said:

Yes I didn't mean it as a derogatory way to those that earn a living do such a job - But send them to prison costs a fortune - They'd be in a comfy open prison anyway - They are not an actual menace to society in the way a paedo  is - So take them into an environment, for 12 months, or more, that is a total humiliation to them 
    Agreed
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1473
    edited April 25
    Bin men only work one day a week so that doesn't really sound like much of a punishment 
    Refuse collectors is the preferred nomenclature, Donny. 
    edited April 25 tFB Trader
    sev112 said:
    sev112 said:

Agreed
    They don’t get paid either, so it won’t take away the much needed funds to a regular worker- So just an extra pair of free hands 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18871
    "I'm truly, truly sorry that I was ever found out & dragged back into this sorry shitshow that I hoped was long buried.
     I am now uncomfortable at being seen as just as stupid, lazy & venal as I always was".
    Bunch of fucking lying twats  :s
     Same as it ever was, same as it ever was...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:
    Their treatment of individual Postmasters is beyond forgiveness.  You can't "compensate" people for lost lives which is what they caused.

That this incompetent bunch of "executives" were also responsible for managing the wider Post Office business into the ground, to the detriment of whole communities (particularly rural communities) and the loss of a valuable national heritage service business adds further to the damage done.
    As the government are effectively the shareholders then such a poor bunch of executives running the business into the ground doesn’t give me confidence into labours plans to privatise the railways- In principle a good idea - In reality with executives like this in charge then ‘hope’ is the best option 
    At the risk of turning this into a political discussion ...

In the old (ie pre-Thatcher) days, the nationalised industries (British Rail, British Steel, British Leyland, British whatever) were mainly run by the unions, overseen by lazy management, all of whom had jobs for life.  We all paid for that in shoddy goods and inefficient industries and the gradual decline of UK plc.

Thatcher's revolution (privatisation) introduced competition, market pressures, efficiency (blah, blah, blah) which replaced lazy management with get-rich-quick schemes for the few, and fuck-all for the rest.  It sold off national assets for a quick tax cut and has led to the farce we see today; disjointed and disfunctional public transport, Thames Water (and others) using current revenue streams to justify long-term debt from which PE investors could harvest massive dividends, et al.  Surprise, surprise, we're all paying for that too.  But it did succeed in accelerating the decline of UK plc, so tick the "efficiency" box.

POL is a microcosm of that experience.  A, once-trusted, once-valued, national service, sensibly co-joined with Royal Mail (with daft union dogma), which was quick-buck privatised and then infested with incompetent management charged with impossible and non-sensical targets by their political masters.  Open it to competition, that'll make it better.

Still, that competition has given us Evri now, so every cloud has a silver lining pisses on you.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Watching this latest session, it's a total and very public humiliation.  Sam Stein is crucifying her.  I'm almost starting to feel sorry for vd Bogie.

Almost, but not quite.

But I do hope someone has hidden all the sharp knives in her kitchen by the time she gets home.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22999
    TTony said:
    Watching this latest session, it's a total and very public humiliation.  Sam Stein is crucifying her.  I'm almost starting to feel sorry for vd Bogie.

Almost, but not quite.

But I do hope someone has hidden all the sharp knives in her kitchen by the time she gets home.
    I heard some on the radio.  It's pretty intense.
    TTony said:

Almost, but not quite.

She's getting the mother of all kickings from Stein.  This morning's session was bad enough when Beer was challenging her about the suicide of some poor chap whom the PO had blamed for a armed robbery on his branch!  It's scarcely believable and most definitely not defensible.

She must be wondering if she's looking at doing some porridge.