Easy mistake to make....I suppose (ebay & Chappers content)

What's Hot

Comments

• JEMJEM Frets: 147
    Sarge said:
    Ok it's a fair assumption to make considering 90% of people aren't cackhanded.

But... wouldn't it make more sense for righties to play lefty guitars, given that the left hand is doing more of the heavy lifting? 
     This is comes up quite often but plenty of 'cackhanded' (as you so delightfully put it) people play guitar right handed. Me included. I don't believe there's really that much difference of coordination required between left and right.

I don't know how old his son is but if it has only recently become apparent that he's left handed it's possible the sale is premature anyway. I'd say if you can play a right handed instrument you should just to avoid limiting the choice of guitars in future. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7055
    edited March 3
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    JEM said:
    Sarge said:

But... wouldn't it make more sense for righties to play lefty guitars, given that the left hand is doing more of the heavy lifting? 
     This is comes up quite often but plenty of 'cackhanded' (as you so delightfully put it) people play guitar right handed. Me included. I don't believe there's really that much difference of coordination required between left and right.

I don't know how old his son is but if it has only recently become apparent that he's left handed it's possible the sale is premature anyway. I'd say if you can play a right handed instrument you should just to avoid limiting the choice of guitars in future. 

I too am a righty playing lefty but some people do struggle. eg Paul McCartney made very little progress on the guitar until he flipped it over. Reaching for a famous example there to emphasise the point
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2520
    Sarge said:

I'm a lefty and i play right handed. Left handed options were always more expensive and harder to get hold of, and you can't borrow a mates guitar if you play left handed
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • euaneuan Frets: 1663
    Exactly. I tried for six months and couldn’t manage to fret open E, A and B7, the literal beginner chords without stopping to physically place each finger. 

When I got a left handed guitar I made more progress in a week than I ever did with a right handed one  
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3057
    edited March 3
    Gruff Rhys (Super Furry Animals) plays left handed, and uses right handed guitars upside down.. meaning that the heavier strings are where the lightest strings normally are, back to front. That’s another way to get around the lack of leftie guitars. 

• snowblindsnowblind Frets: 455
    How old is his kid? I have a teenage daughter who still switches between dexterous and downright sinister.

This discussion has in fact suggested she try her cello left-handed. Not something she has ever been granted the opportunity to do but it might help her playing. Could affect where she sits in the orchestra though.  :)
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2585
    Isn’t that the guitar he bought suspiciously soon after a gofundme raised money to cover the cost of his band’s stolen gear
    4reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1544
    elstoof said:
    Someone being economical with the truth when selling a guitar, I'm shocked 
  • RoundwoundRoundwound Frets: 285
    elstoof said:
    That’s pretty dodgy, if the handedness excuse didn’t already sound a bit suspect. Hard pass.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3685
    Oh come on guys, chappers is Ok, he just has bad taste in guitars is all. And so what if his son is lefty and cant play a righty guitar, thats the least of his worries, what happens when he learns to drive? I mean, there are less left hand drive cars out there than there are guitars.
    Leave the guy alone, let him do his thing.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Funnily enough, both my parents were left-handed, but both my sister and I ended up right handed. What that meant was I grew up in a house with a lot of left-handed things, scissors and such. I did end up left-footed though, which was useful for footy.

On the subject of LHD versus RHD vehicles, at work, most of our vehicles are LHD, whereas my car is RHD and it never seems much of a problem to switch. Back with musical instruments however, an interesting one is, as many people have commented, why the left hand on right handed guitars is the one typically doing most of the intricate work, which is the complete opposite of piano, where the left hand is the one kind of on rhythm autopilot whilst the right hand does most of the melody.

But having said that, the toughest thing for me when learning to play guitar and sing at the same time, was getting my right hand to go on strumming and picking autopilot when singing something with a different melody or rhythm. Took me a long time to suss that one out.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23713
    edited March 3
    elstoof said:
    And he said "she".  Case closed, he's a wrong 'un.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1601
    What a weird thing to do. What if his son doesn't want to play guitar? Oh, he wasn't telling the truth. I see.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2353
    No doubt got it at almost cost price from Andertons/PRS?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1258
    Sorry, can't tell what he's done wrong from that picture?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27093
    S56035 said:
    Sorry, can't tell what he's done wrong from that picture?
    I think it's because the Instagram post says it's "my new axe", but the eBay ad says it was bought for his son.

He actually did a video on it when he bought it, saying that he wanted his son to have a "birth year" guitar in case he started playing one day.
    <space for hire>
    The birth year for his son claims was after questions were raised about the timing of his “new axe” post, coming as it was hot on the heels of a round of crowdfunding to pay for a load of gear he had stolen and insurance wouldn’t cover
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19435
    JEM said:
    Sarge said:

I'd say you definitely are of a sinister persuasion...  ;)