Poopot's Cover Challenge #27 - the letter N

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27692
    It has arrived @stickyfiddle but in didn't have time to upload it before I left for work. I'll  have it up there later tonight
    No worries!! This one may have sent me slightly insane so just wanted to check :D  
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17872
    tFB Trader
    It has arrived @stickyfiddle but in didn't have time to upload it before I left for work. I'll  have it up there later tonight
    No worries!! This one may have sent me slightly insane so just wanted to check :D  

I've also submitted one today and I think I may have been having some kind of episode when I came up with the idea. It certainly ended up being a lot more complicated that I expected  :o

I've also submitted one today and I think I may have been having some kind of episode when I came up with the idea. It certainly ended up being a lot more complicated that I expected  :o
    Yeah... this one wasn't helped by picking a song with the top couple of notes really not quite in my range, AND needing a bunch of harmony layers. I love singing harmonies so that's more a mixing challenge than anything, but still. INSANE. 

I have a couple of others on the go and a long weekend coming, so we'll see where I get to
    tFB Trader

Yeah... this one wasn't helped by picking a song with the top couple of notes really not quite in my range, AND needing a bunch of harmony layers. I love singing harmonies so that's more a mixing challenge than anything, but still. INSANE. 

I have a couple of others on the go and a long weekend coming, so we'll see where I get to

I'm now wondering if we chose the same song  =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Knowing where our tastes overlap it's def not impossible. Always an angel, never a god...
    tFB Trader

Knowing where our tastes overlap it's def not impossible. Always an angel, never a god...
    Ha, mines a lot more tasteless!

Stranger Things would be the clue for mine.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27931
    Last couple of posts prompted me to listen again to the full (current) playlist.

Wow, there's a lot of good stuff on there, and a wide range of styles too.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    Last couple of posts prompted me to listen again to the full (current) playlist.

Wow, there's a lot of good stuff on there, and a wide range of styles too.

Agreed!
    I haven't been keeping up with it for the last few months, but the standard is getting really good.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1826
    @stickyfiddle and @monquixote in the playlist
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 12 tFB Trader
    Awesomeness!

I know people like a bit of nerdery so mine (Neverending Beast) was done on an iPad using Logic.

All the guitars and bass are Nembrini either JCM800 (for the more trad tones) or Dual Rec for the heavy ones and Dark Glass model for the Bass.
    Synths are Beep Street Zeon
    Everything else is vanilla Logic with a dash of Fabfilter plugins.
    BTW for those who are Maiden fans I know I'm playing it "wrong", but I was a bit liberal to make it fit together better.
    I quite enjoyed learning the solo, but it was humbling that I can barely play it even when it's quite a bit slower than the original.
    It's a bit let down by my shit singing so if anyone else wants a go they would be welcome

@stickyfiddle Loved yours chap. Great song choice and singing!

@monquixote cheers chap! Will listen to yours on a bit! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 12
    Anyway, a bit more background on mine. 

Song is Not Strong Enough by Boygenius - that's Julien Baker, Lucy Davis and Phoebe Bridgers. The song is the best thing on the Record, which is somehow a year old already. Full of gorgeous harmonies and frankly just a great bit of writing. I'm mostly just here hoping I've done it justice. 

Drums are me on my Roland TD17 into Logic, guitars are a Bourgeois dread in open C#-ish (and doubled up an octave in software), plus ES355 and homemade P bass. Vocals all me through a Rode NT1, lots of times... 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @monquixote your Neverending Beast is ace and MrsF agrees :D 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    @monquixote your Neverending Beast is ace and MrsF agrees :D 

Thanks chap!
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9997
    I've spent a while arranging and copying and pasting etc for something a bit different today, a little bit pop-nu-metal, only to find my vocals aren't up to it! My rock or belt voice is not a pleasant sound, I found the same when I tried Master of Puppets. 

It sounds a bit weak and squeaky compared to the backing which is quite a lot fuller than I usually do. Obviously I wasn't expecting to turn into Chester Bennington lol but I thought that the verses would sound fine then just give it everything for the chorus and hope for the best. Will keep going just in case, but it's not looking very likely at the moment haha
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    tFB Trader
    I've spent a while arranging and copying and pasting etc for something a bit different today, a little bit pop-nu-metal, only to find my vocals aren't up to it! My rock or belt voice is not a pleasant sound, I found the same when I tried Master of Puppets. 

It sounds a bit weak and squeaky compared to the backing which is quite a lot fuller than I usually do. Obviously I wasn't expecting to turn into Chester Bennington lol but I thought that the verses would sound fine then just give it everything for the chorus and hope for the best. Will keep going just in case, but it's not looking very likely at the moment haha

Keep at it chap. 

Double tracking is your friend!
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9997

Keep at it chap. 

Double tracking is your friend!
    Ha I shall try a few things yet before giving up, but I'm not sure what just yet. Not sure if double tracking will do it, I think I need some different mic tekkers or some effect mangling to beef things up a bit. In fairness I was also sitting down (as I normally do when singing) so I need to try standing up but it's a lot of faff to uncable everything to use the proper mic stand. Hmm, to be fair I do like to take on the ridiculous ones, as well as seemingly collecting covers of artists who died too young
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Yeah, double tracking, mic technique, saturation, distortion, eq, echo and compression..! 

I don’t let a vocal take leave the house without at least 4 or 5 of these…
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27931
    Yeah, double tracking, mic technique, saturation, distortion, eq, echo and compression..! 

Seriously??

I usually add reverb to mine, but that's about it.  You've got me feeling that they're "naked" now and I need to putting some more effort (and effect) on them!!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited June 19
    TTony said:

Seriously??

I usually add reverb to mine, but that's about it.  You've got me feeling that they're "naked" now and I need to putting some more effort (and effect) on them!!
    To be fair I haven't double tracked anything ages, and I wouldn't ever use all of the above. But EQ and compression are a minimum, and the rest to taste.

But in my defence I am trying to teach myself how to do this stuff to a pro standard (just in time for AI to replace us all YAY!)