Music that makes you think "who actually buys this"

What's Hot

Comments

• Open_GOpen_G Frets: 151
    This goes back a fair few years but when my daughter went emo, and then a bit more during her later school years.  She insisted on playing Bring me the Horizon repeatedly in the house and car. It struck me as pure drivel with no substance and designed specifically to be hated by parents and to be seen as “rebellious.” (I do see the irony, but I didn’t hate it, I just felt I saw through it). Absolutely no musicality beyond the technical achievement of playing that many blast beats and chugging rhythm guitar somewhere near in time. 

Ironically it was me that ended up buying the drivel. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12077
    Philly_Q said:
    She always sounded like a singing goose to me

I always thought Ronan Keating honked rather than singing.
    Roan Keating sings like Vic Reeves in the club style.

Once you realise that... nothing's the same any more.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2918
    Open_G said:
    This goes back a fair few years but when my daughter went emo, and then a bit more during her later school years.  She insisted on playing Bring me the Horizon repeatedly in the house and car. It struck me as pure drivel with no substance and designed specifically to be hated by parents and to be seen as “rebellious.” (I do see the irony, but I didn’t hate it, I just felt I saw through it). Absolutely no musicality beyond the technical achievement of playing that many blast beats and chugging rhythm guitar somewhere near in time. 

Ironically it was me that ended up buying the drivel. 
    There's some good riffs in the BMTH stuff. I don't really like how synth heavy they are now and I wouldn't say I'm a fan, but there's still some good songs in there imo. They don't belong in this thread anyway, not in the same league as M People, Lighthouse family etc! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1176
    James Blunt
    Snow Patrol
    Kasabian
    Franz Ferdinand
    Kaiser Chiefs

And a controversial one I bet....
    Sheryl Crow

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23248
    And a controversial one I bet....
    Sheryl Crow
    Not controversial to me.  And it reminded me of another set of bores... Counting Crows.
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1105
    edited April 28
    Gonna go for a left field hot take with The Police.

I guess they were the biggest band in the world for a couple of years in the early 80s as they perfectly existed within the paradox of having three of the best at their instruments, being interesting for the musos, and also writing songs that were also technically advanced in terms of arrangement and production - but - these songs were actually hugely popular for people who didn't like music. 

So with Stuart Copeland doing incredible interviews on youtube for his book recently, I've enjoyed him talking about the songwriting and recording and the little fights they had being three strong personalities - but then when I tried to listen back to the records, I find them incredibly boring. So I did think who actually bought this. Or if they bought it did they actually listen to it? Or worse, bought it, listened to it, and enjoyed it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72742
    LPManic said:
    Gonna go for a left field hot take with The Police.

I guess they were the biggest band in the world for a couple of years in the early 80s as they perfectly existed within the paradox of having three of the best at their instruments, being interesting for the musos, and also writing songs that were also technically advanced in terms of arrangement and production - but - these songs were actually hugely popular for people who didn't like music. 

So with Stuart Copeland doing incredible interviews on youtube for his book recently, I've enjoyed him talking about the songwriting and recording and the little fights they had being three strong personalities - but then when I tried to listen back to the records, I find them incredibly boring. So I did think who actually bought this. Or if they bought it did they actually listen to it? Or worse, bought it, listened to it, and enjoyed it!
    Yes, guilty as charged. Not a megafan, but I really like a lot of their stuff.

Sting solo, not so much.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5030
    Have any of you tried the following?

Sutcliffe Jugend
    Whitehouse
    Silencer
    CCCC
    Merzbow
    Nihilist Commando
    Vomir

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9915
    Reverend said:
    Have any of you tried the following?

Sutcliffe Jugend
    Whitehouse
    Silencer
    CCCC
    Merzbow
    Nihilist Commando
    Vomir

They sound like brands of legal highs
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6770
    Philly_Q said:
    Not controversial to me.  And it reminded me of another set of bores... Counting Crows.
    I agree. A good point in their favour is that they pretty much win hands down at the game "Comedy Vowel Drop". 
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3057
    merlin said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I agree. A good point in their favour is that they pretty much win hands down at the game "Comedy Vowel Drop". 
    Counting Crws? Not all that funny.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27329
    Stuff like ,Sam Smith, lumineers , elbow , & them trust fund worzels who stamp their feet on the floor, & kings of Leon & them who sing ruby ruby ruby ruby
    Massive lol for this. I call them "clap stomp hey" bands. All of them are dreadful.

KoL are great on a good day though
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I can take or leave (usually leave) The Police's albums but the big singles were incredible. Every Little Thing, Roxanne, Message in a Bottle, Every Breath... all among the all-time great songs for me. 

Sheryl Crowe is another that's singles-only for me, but Strong Enough and If It Makes You Happy are worth the entry fee alone. 

I'll add 2 more though - Bastille and Imagine Dragons. Both appear to be the zenith of rock-music-by-committee - and by a committee who hasn't the foggiest clue what rock music actually is. And in the former's case one of the worst lead vocalists ever to have a hit record. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24687
    All of it.

Especially the stuff I listen to.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24687
    She always sounded like a singing goose to me

Do people who sing like that also talk like that?

• SeshSesh Frets: 1865
    My first thought when I saw the title of this discussion was the lighthouse family. They are a real fingernails-down-the-blackboard for me. Simply Red too. I don't mind pop music. Some is good, some isn't, but some is so insipid it feels like your IQ is depleting by listening to it. It's lift music for bungalows.
    This is some pretentious snobbery. I'm sure I listen to things others detest. But so what. 

I too do not understand why some people like some music. Yes, we're all different, but how do people listen to Drake without poking pencils up their noses? Genuine question. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1990
    Robbie Williams is shite. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

Devil#20 said:
    Robbie Williams is shite. 
    No he's not. You just don't like him. 

Just Angels and Let Me Entertain You between them would put him in the all time top 10 of British pop acts. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9915
    Yes there's a big difference between stuff we don't like, and stuff that it's hard to imagine who does like it. There's been quite a few suggested in this thread that fall into the category of sorry not liking them, but they are clearly likeable by somebody. 

I can't stand Eric Clapton and ZZ Top, however I can see why people would like them and I'm happy if those keep their music to themselves haha

However yeah, bands like Lighthouse Family, Texas, Simply Red, really baffle me
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1283
    There’s music I like, music I don’t like but others do……I see no value in getting wound up about other peoples taste (or lack there of) unless they’re trying to shove their views down my throat and tell me I should also like what they like.