Music that makes you think "who actually buys this"

What's Hot

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9917
    timmypix said:
    I genuinely don't understand a lot of modern hip hop. No edge to it, recycled beats that are ripped off YouTube, and mumbled lyrics about inane stuff. Not all hip hop does this - some of it is clever, angry, or fun, but so much of what I hear glimpses of just isn't.

Ditto people who listen to club music when not in a club - you know, the car that comes by THUMP THUMP THUMP. Are you imagining you're in a club while you're sat in traffic?
    To be honest there's a lot of guitar music which is also that, as well as some really good stuff. I think it's always been like that
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 387
    Sporky said:
    Reverend said:
    Have any of you tried the following?

Sutcliffe Jugend
    Whitehouse
    Silencer
    CCCC
    Merzbow
    Nihilist Commando
    Vomir

Merzbow, but only the early stuff before he sold out and went pop. 

It's practically easy listening these days. 

I gave that a quick listen as I liked the artwork. I wish I hadn't but live and let live and all that.

My take on it is that I try not to listen to 'other peoples music' much. 
    I hate it when we or the neighbours have trades in with their site radios blasting shite all day.

The bloke that fitted our kitchen was a retained firefighter who regularly got 'shouts'

I'd pop downstairs and turn his radio down then off. He got the message in the end.

Anyone can like anything they like and that's fine with me, if I don't like it then I won't listen/look at/do it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28844
    I was being a little tongue in cheek.

Merzbow is one artist I can't fathom. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12084
    However yeah, bands like Lighthouse Family, Texas, Simply Red, really baffle me
    Texas?  Did you see their Glasto show last year?

They have enough hits to carry them along with Spiteri being a fantastic front-person, she genuinely had the crowd eating out of her hands (figuratively speaking - if I was up there I'd go for literally - feed the front row chocolate from my cupped hands - take that society...).

Contrast it with the Arctic Monkeys, far superior in most ways, who played a set for hardcore fans at a festival and somehow managed to be nowhere near as good as they clearly are.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12084
    You know I'll be honest.

I don't mind the Lighthouse Family.

There, I said it.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9917
    However yeah, bands like Lighthouse Family, Texas, Simply Red, really baffle me
    Texas?  Did you see their Glasto show last year?

They have enough hits to carry them along with Spiteri being a fantastic front-person, she genuinely had the crowd eating out of her hands (figuratively speaking - if I was up there I'd go for literally - feed the front row chocolate from my cupped hands - take that society...).

Contrast it with the Arctic Monkeys, far superior in most ways, who played a set for hardcore fans at a festival and somehow managed to be nowhere near as good as they clearly are.
    No i didn't watch it, as I can't stand them so I thought it best to avoid. But I'm genuinely surprised that lots of people do like them, I've never really known what their target audience was as they seemed to be aiming at middle aged pop music fans in the 90s, let alone now?

I also don't lik that in several of their songs that I do know, they seem to be obsessed with layering another tune over the top of the existing tune towards the end of the song and cos it's the same voice it just sounds untidy and badly put together with the words etc. But that's just a very niche pet peeve.

Still baffled that overall they would be interesting to anybody
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12083
    swiller said:
    Robbie Williams : Watched the docu, no sympathy - talentless tw@.
    Ed sheeran: Boring heap of w@nk.
    The beatles : How anyone appreciates that today for other than nostalgia is beyond me. 
    Beyonce: just sings up and down scales . Ok for 20 seconds, but albums of the stuff is toilet.
    Fleetwood mac - debenhams music. F off.
    REM - bought murmur to see what all the fuss is about in my late teens, tried hard. Bag o shite.
    Anything clapton - no voice, soul less guitar player, the stage presence of a 80s geography teacher.

I was all set to disagree with everything you were saying, then you go and hit the Clapton-shaped nail 100% on the head. Couldn’t agree more about him.
    I was about to say exactly the same thing, but I have liked some of his output over the years. 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5035
    Jfingers said:
    Sporky said:
    Reverend said:
    Have any of you tried the following?

Sutcliffe Jugend
    Whitehouse
    Silencer
    CCCC
    Merzbow
    Nihilist Commando
    Vomir

Merzbow, but only the early stuff before he sold out and went pop. 

It's practically easy listening these days. 

I gave that a quick listen as I liked the artwork. I wish I hadn't but live and let live and all that.

My take on it is that I try not to listen to 'other peoples music' much. 
    I hate it when we or the neighbours have trades in with their site radios blasting shite all day.

The bloke that fitted our kitchen was a retained firefighter who regularly got 'shouts'

I'd pop downstairs and turn his radio down then off. He got the message in the end.

Anyone can like anything they like and that's fine with me, if I don't like it then I won't listen/look at/do it.
    it's probably the most palatable on that list. 
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6544
    Devil#20 said:
    ICBM said:
    I think Hucknall can sing - it’s just that his obnoxious, utterly full of himself personality comes through in every note.
    That also applies to Robbie Williams except Williams doesn't really have a good voice. He started off as a dancer. He tried to do a swing album and failed miserably. In his head he thinks he's Frank Sinatra. 
    Artistically, you may have a point - all subjective, innit?

It was far from a failure in terms of sales - it was a huge success, outside of the UK as well as at home. It also influenced everyone and his mother to release a Swing album to try and cash in on the popularity. Arguably a crime worthy of long periods of solitary incarceration, but either way it’s a huge-selling and highly-influential album , so while it may* have been rubbish, in terms of measures of success, two out of three ain’t bad.

(*or may not be. YMMV)

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4974
    Agreed re. Lighthouse Family; until this thread I’d forgotten about them.
    Others who have me reaching for the off switch: Meatloaf, Status Quo, Guns & Roses. 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3642
    No such thing as bad music, just bad taste.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 387
    Sporky said:

I was aware of that, or felt I was...
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1030
    swiller said:
    Robbie Williams : Watched the docu, no sympathy - talentless tw@.
    Ed sheeran: Boring heap of w@nk.
    The beatles : How anyone appreciates that today for other than nostalgia is beyond me. 
    Beyonce: just sings up and down scales . Ok for 20 seconds, but albums of the stuff is toilet.
    Fleetwood mac - debenhams music. F off.
    REM - bought murmur to see what all the fuss is about in my late teens, tried hard. Bag o shite.
    Anything clapton - no voice, soul less guitar player, the stage presence of a 80s geography teacher.

This much more like it. Funk guitar on a p90 gibbo double cut? yes please. :)

There is no pleasing some people :)
    “Ken sent me.”
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1030
    Sporky said:

I rather spend 3 hrs with Yoko Ono, then listen to Merzbow
    “Ken sent me.”
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4161
    I listen to death and black metal. So I'm not going to yuck someone's yum.

It is sad though when people just use music for wallpaper and have no actual interest in it. Sad for the creator that is. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

It is sad though when people just use music for wallpaper and have no actual interest in it. Sad for the creator that is. 
    People love their cars without knowing the creator, how they work etc but they still get joy from them, I think its the same with music.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4161
    robgilmo said:

People love their cars without knowing the creator, how they work etc but they still get joy from them, I think its the same with music.
    I meant more people that don't even really listen to it. 

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12435
    Merzbow is the sort of stuff you listen to when you're a teenager and want your friends to think that Lou Reed's Metal machine Music is too soft. Except that you don't actually listen to it unless other people are there so that they think you are some kind of brave sonic adventurer who only likes extreme stuff and you hope that they talk about your tastes in a reverential tone. When you first play it to them you say, "Are you sure you are ready because this is big boy shit" and you all lie down in a darkened room and put it on full blast. Anyone gets up for a piss and they've failed the test and are out of your favour. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    Merzbow is the sort of stuff you listen to when you're a teenager and want your friends to think that Lou Reed's Metal machine Music is too soft. Except that you don't actually listen to it unless other people are there so that they think you are some kind of brave sonic adventurer who only likes extreme stuff and you hope that they talk about your tastes in a reverential tone. When you first play it to them you say, "Are you sure you are ready because this is big boy shit" and you all lie down in a darkened room and put it on full blast. Anyone gets up for a piss and they've failed the test and are out of your favour. 
    You mean pretentious listening? Like handing someone a dooby and a copy of DSOTM? When it comes to pretentious music I think Pink Floyd have been right up there with the best of them.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3036
    I would also go along with Texas. I only like what I like - to the point of actually saying I generally don't like music at all, on a %age basis -  so not a 'you just don't like them' response, I don't like most things. I really can't see or hear what anyone else finds appealing about them musically. I can however see what some people like about the lighthouse family, and Simply Red, and even Wet, Wet, Wet for that matter. But Texas?
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'