Music that makes you think "who actually buys this"

What's Hot

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7831
    edited April 29
    Always surprised how much ppl hate Simply Red, growing up outside the UK I think the hate is very local for whatever reason. Hucknall can really fucking Sing! Stars is great, money too tight to mention too and a few others.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23255
    Always surprised how much ppl hate Simply Red, growing up outside the UK I think the hate is very local for whatever reason. Hucknall can really fucking Sing! Stars is great, money too tight to mention too and a few others.
    You, sir, are quite simply wrong.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72751
    I think Hucknall can sing - it’s just that his obnoxious, utterly full of himself personality comes through in every note.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4144
    Oasis. Just whining drivel.

Any form of dance or rap music. 

Nothing electronic? I feel quite sad for you. 
    Nothing   Vomit inducing. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24489
    For artists, a lot of you seem to have forgotten that art is subjective - like beauty.  All art is valid if it's liked by at least someone.  I personally can't abide most of the autotuned copycat I, IV, V, iv format stuff that dominates the charts these days, but it sounds nice to many people.......   Fucking morons who've never heard proper music yes, but they like it, so it has its place and audience, so live and let live.

B) 
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 746
    Emp_Fab said:
    For artists, a lot of you seem to have forgotten that art is subjective - like beauty.  All art is valid if it's liked by at least someone.  I personally can't abide most of the autotuned copycat I, IV, V, iv format stuff that dominates the charts these days, but it sounds nice to many people.......   Fucking morons who've never heard proper music yes, but they like it, so it has its place and audience, so live and let live.

B) 
    Yes, you just need to put up with the Fucking morons!  =)
    edited April 29
    ICBM said:
    I think Hucknall can sing - it’s just that his obnoxious, utterly full of himself personality comes through in every note.
    I'd definitely say it's more about punchability than poor musicianship. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 29
    Emp_Fab said:
    No, we're all well aware that it's totally subjective.  But the thread has asked us about music that makes us think "who actually buys this?" , so we're answering the question, we're not claiming to be right (well, maybe some of us are...).

For example - this year's multiple Brit award winner Raye.  I know people like what she does, critics acclaim her, I'm sure she's very good, no doubt I'm completely in the wrong.... but can I listen to her?  30 seconds and I have to turn it off.  To me, it's unbearable.

And by the way, I never expect anyone to like what I like.  I'm happy to tell people what I'm listening to, but if someone ever says "put something of yours on" it makes me hugely uncomfortable.  I feel like I'm forcing them to listen to something they'll hate but might be too polite to say so.
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 151
    The scene from Only fools and horses of the end of Rodney’s wedding is only made better for the use of holding back the years. 
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 367
    Whatever it is you like
    monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28844
    Emp_Fab said:
    I personally can't abide most of the autotuned copycat I, IV, V, iv format stuff that dominates the charts these days
    Presumably if you dislike autotune you dislike it in all contexts?

A risky position on a forum full of guitarists and keyboard players. 

You're right though; the trombone, violin family, and a few others are the only instruments for real musicians who don't need autotune. 

;) 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • inewhaminewham Frets: 151
    Just to be awkward... middle aged white man blues. Ok I get it, it's fun to play, noodling away but it's like musical masturbation, sure it feels good but I don't want to watch, all that bending and pulling cum faces.
    Feel free to say everything I like is shit btw :)

Ian
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2436
    I genuinely don't understand a lot of modern hip hop. No edge to it, recycled beats that are ripped off YouTube, and mumbled lyrics about inane stuff. Not all hip hop does this - some of it is clever, angry, or fun, but so much of what I hear glimpses of just isn't.

Ditto people who listen to club music when not in a club - you know, the car that comes by THUMP THUMP THUMP. Are you imagining you're in a club while you're sat in traffic?
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    timmypix said:
    Ditto people who listen to club music when not in a club - you know, the car that comes by THUMP THUMP THUMP. Are you imagining you're in a club while you're sat in traffic?
    Oh, that could be in the "need to vent?" thread for me.... I can't stand people in cars, with the windows open, who think it's OK to inflict their musical taste on the outside world.

(Same principle as people playing music or TV on their phones, without headphones.  Just fuck off.)
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6544
    I don’t take this thread as ‘Music what I don’t like’ so much as ‘I can’t see what anyone sees in it.’

Dance music does nothing for me, but I understand it has its place and I can sort of see what the people who like it get out of it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28844
    edited April 30
    Reverend said:
    Have any of you tried the following?

Sutcliffe Jugend
    Whitehouse
    Silencer
    CCCC
    Merzbow
    Nihilist Commando
    Vomir

Merzbow, but only the early stuff before he sold out and went pop. 

It's practically easy listening these days. 

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Meanwhile over on the edm forum they be like daaaiiimm! Prog rock makes me want to cut my earballs out! 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5035
    Kurtis said:
    Meanwhile over on the edm forum they be like daaaiiimm! Prog rock makes me want to cut my earballs out! 
    real DJs collect as much rare prog as they can.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1990
    ICBM said:
    That also applies to Robbie Williams except Williams doesn't really have a good voice. He started off as a dancer. He tried to do a swing album and failed miserably. In his head he thinks he's Frank Sinatra. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

Devil#20 said:
    ICBM said:
    That also applies to Robbie Williams except Williams doesn't really have a good voice. He started off as a dancer. He tried to do a swing album and failed miserably. In his head he thinks he's Frank Sinatra.