Flying: Things that irk me.

What's Hot

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10827
    VimFuego said:
    man, I look good in a hi viz with a clipboard.

everyone does. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15985
    Offset said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Fear of flying is completely irrational.

Fear of most things is completely irrational.  Unfortunately that is of no help when I'm at 35,000 feet and the wine has run out.
    however, fear of very suddenly and abruptly not flying is perfectly rational.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 2632
    You are twice as likely to be dealt a Royal Fush in poker than you are to be a passenger on a plane crash. Sure, someone out there will be dealt a Royal Flush, but it almost certainly won’t be you, and the same goes for plane crashes
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73539
    elstoof said:
    You are twice as likely to be dealt a Royal Fush in poker than you are to be a passenger on a plane crash. Sure, someone out there will be dealt a Royal Flush, but it almost certainly won’t be you, and the same goes for plane crashes
    What happens if you never fly or don’t gamble? That statistic is incorrect by definition since it doesn’t take account of how often you fly.

Flying is very safe, especially when you consider the physics of what you’re doing, but it is *not* completely safe. A journey on a plane is still three times as likely to kill you as one in a car. Obviously, most people make a hugely larger number of trips by car than by plane.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16339
    I don't like that bit at the airport when the Police decide to kick somebody's head in 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3288
    edited July 26
    Other passengers.  Once you've flown private, there's no substitute or comparison.  First class even feels like punishment once you have gone private.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15985
    Other passengers.  Once you've flown private, there's no substitute or comparison.  First class even feels like punishment once you have gone private.
    the thing about a flex is it has to be at least slightly credible. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4431
    ICBM said:
    elstoof said:
    What happens if you never fly or don’t gamble? That statistic is incorrect by definition since it doesn’t take account of how often you fly.

Flying is very safe, especially when you consider the physics of what you’re doing, but it is *not* completely safe. A journey on a plane is still three times as likely to kill you as one in a car. Obviously, most people make a hugely larger number of trips by car than by plane.
    I’ve been dealt a royal flush twice!  

I wonder if I should stop flying. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• SporkySporky Frets: 29407
    elstoof said:
    What about if you're playing poker in an aeroplane's toilet? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2437
    I used to fly all the time globally. 

Unless flying mega bucks upper class (yes I have) it’s a truly
    dreadful experience on all levels. I hate it. 

I use earplugs and eye masks and try to make the whole shut show go away. 

Covid and lack of travel options prompted me to buy an old soft top introduced me to love parts of the UK we’ve done loads of day trips and weekends. Great and relaxing and cheaper. 

Were going to Spain in October with friends and  I don’t want to really but my wife is keen so, OK. 

• HaychHaych Frets: 5880
    The thing I think that gets me the most about flying, especially long haul, is the fact that I cannot sleep unless I'm in bed.

I've never had the privilege of flying 1st or Business Class so envy those who can stretch out horizontal in their little pods.

It isn't so bad if the flight is in the day when your mind and body isn't expecting to sleep - a bit boring even with all the infotainment as I can only take so much.  On a late flight it's almost enough to drive me mad.  Last time I flew back from Atlanta on a late night flight I was in Economy Plus, so had a little extra legroom and could recline the seat a lot more.

Even that wasn't enough to stop the madness.  Eye mask and earplugs didn't help and once the restless leg thing kicked in it was very uncomfortable.

Fortunately I had my headphones with me so I just listened to music and that calmed me down no end, or I think I would literally have been clawing at the exit doors trying to get out.

I really envy those people who can fall asleep anywhere.  My mother can fall asleep in seconds, literally anywhere she can relax, it's not a trait I've inherited from her.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12894
    Haych said:
    The thing I think that gets me the most about flying, especially long haul, is the fact that I cannot sleep unless I'm in bed.

Alcohol, ear plugs and a blackout eye mask usually guarantee me some sleep, but after some useful comments on here I intend to get myself some noise-cancelling headphones before my next long-haul.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5880
    Offset said:
    Haych said:

Alcohol, ear plugs and a blackout eye mask usually guarantee me some sleep, but after some useful comments on here I intend to get myself some noise-cancelling headphones before my next long-haul.
    Unfortunately, I can sleep in only one position and cannot get myself into a comfortable position anywhere except bed!

The one time I was admitted to hospital I couldn't even sleep there because the nurses refused to allow me to roll over into my sleeping position, so I lay awake staring at the ceiling the entire time.

Even the best noise cancelling headphones wouldn't help.  I doubt even Derren Brown could get me to sleep on a plane.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 2632
    ICBM said:
    elstoof said:

Odds don’t normally account for whataboutery but if you would prefer to have the statement framed differently:

Dave Featherstonhaugh is twice as likely to be dealt a Royal Flush on his first hand at Caesar’s Palace as he is to be passenger in a crash on the flight home from Vegas
  • vizviz Frets: 10827
    edited July 26
    CHRISB50 said:
    ICBM said:
    elstoof said:

I’ve been dealt a royal flush twice!  

I wonder if I should stop flying. 

Well you don’t need to now, do you!

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • I can't abide the (almost exclusively) British travelers who are incapable of leaving the departure airport without consuming a 'cheeky' pint or six even a t ridiculous times in the morning. Getting wrecked at every single opportunity isn't a 'cultural thing' you're all borderline alcoholics.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12894
    I can't abide the (almost exclusively) British travelers who are incapable of leaving the departure airport without consuming a 'cheeky' pint or six even a t ridiculous times in the morning. Getting wrecked at every single opportunity isn't a 'cultural thing' you're all borderline alcoholics.
    As long as those indulging behave themselves and don't impinge on anyone else's enjoyment/space I don't see the problem.  I usually have a few sharpeners before flying any distance to ensure I sleep.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5749
    Haych said:

Even the best noise cancelling headphones wouldn't help.  
     Noise-cancelling headphones help. A bit. But they aren't a silver bullet.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5749
    I miss the old-fashioned flying experience.

As  a kid, I used to fly many times a year. My father was a pilot so we got a staff discount (90% off) on top of my child's half fare. So it used to cost 80 cents ( = 40p) to fly me from Melbourne to Devonport or Wynyard. (I.e., Victoria to Tasmania across Bass Strait, about 450 kilometres - think London to Paris.) My parents - presumably to get rid of me - used to pack me off on my own to stay with one granny or the other nearly every school holidays - so say twice a year, plus any family trips to Brisbane, Darwin, Sydney, North Queensland, wherever.

In those days we flew on proper aeroplanes - Fokker Friendships, Vickers Viscounts, DC-4s and DC-6s, sometimes a DC-3, and a bit later on 727s and DC-9s. More often than not  (seeing as my father was a pilot with the same airline) I'd be invited to go up to the cockpit and and sit in the jump seat.

Those were different days.

Flying today just isn't the same. Bring back the Viscount!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31346
    Sporky said:
    elstoof said:
    What about if you're playing poker in an aeroplane's toilet? 

Then it's just a bog standard flush.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom