Rich Tone Music

What's Hot
RobG3294RobG3294 Frets: 529
edited July 24 in Guitar
Hopefully the Flickr link works. 

https://flic.kr/p/2q5NMc9

Bought a 2010 Fender Strat Deluxe off them last week second hand, listed as 'good condition' with their typical array of frontal view photos.

So this Guitar should have the relatively beefy Fender Medium Jumbos on it (having owned half a dozen Deluxe Strats in my time) I can almost picture and feel these in my mind.

So it turns up with the frets flat as farts having seen an absolute boat load of fret levels in its life (as even the dusty end frets were like pancakes) and the latest one either whomever forgot to even crown the frets or couldn't obtain a crown because so little material height is left. The fret on the right outer of the photo displays just how flat, worn and square they were.

The trem is also decked right up to achieve any degree of playability (granted it was shown like that in the photos) but with no disclosure at all regarding the shocking state of the frets. 

I immediately contacted them to arrange return and refund which I did for £20 with Parcelforce24.

They are refusing to refund my return postage as they say the issue was a matter of it "not being to my taste", when clearly in my opinion the Guitar was functionally speaking absolutely goosed barring a refret (which was not disclosed) therefore it's faulty, and they should cough up for the return postage so I'm not out of pocket despite doing nothing wrong. Apparently it sold next day in their shop after being deemed 'fit for resale' (probably by Stevie Wonder) likely sold to a beginner because man those frets were shocking and I don't think that fact changes my grievance at all. 

Any ideas? I'm aware it's only a couple of pints worth these days but I don't want to let this lie if possible as they shouldn't be allowed to get away with listing tat like this as being in 'good condition'.

Regardless, I won't be back there. Shocking way to lose a customer who's probably spent in excess of 10k with them over £20.

And they wonder why people buy from bedroom dealers. I actually think many of these said dealers and even some pawnbrokers exercise more care and attention disclosing and listing their stock than places like Richtone. 
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DumodalDumodal Frets: 535
    edited July 23
    What I dislike about Richtone Music is their lack of information about their second hand products, they don't even add a small description and you have to call them if you are interested, it's super annoying.

I only had a small issue with them, bought used guitar and had a small ding that was not in the photograph, their excuse was it was labelled as good so some imperfections are expected, anyways I kept the guitar as it was a rare guitar but their modus operandis is lackluster.

Edit: I meant Richtone Music not Richer Sounds, brain fart.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • RobG3294RobG3294 Frets: 529
    Dumodal said:
    What I dislike about Richer Sounds is their lack of information about their second hand products, they don't even add a small description and you have to call them if you are interested, it's super annoying.

I only had a small issue with them, bought used guitar and had a small ding that was not in the photograph, their excuse was it was labelled as good so some imperfections are expected, anyways I kept the guitar as it was a rare guitar but their modus operandis is lackluster.
    I think you're singing from the same hymn sheet as me, mate. The description is non existent. I've bought second hand from them before and appreciate you therefore take a risk on aesthetic condition built into your purchase decision, but them not disclosing an actual functional issue with a Guitar takes the proverbial a tad.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ah, The Uber rare fender ‘fretless wonder’…. Surprised they didn’t try and hike price up for such rarity!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6040
    You are completely right and they should be covering the return postage. Whether you should pursue it or walk away is another question all together.  Might end up being more aggravating than it’s worth to you?

And as an aside, Stevie would never have let that happen. He’s a pretty fine guitarist ;)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4100
    I can’t see any photo(s) on my phone, but that doesn’t sound great. If the frets are that bad then I’d be quoting some legislation…

I have noticed that in general they give no description on used goods they have in, but the pricing is usually good. I’ve got a few bits from them after a lot of zooming…
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4833
    What I dislike about Richer Sounds is their total lack of guitar gear.

;) 
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

23reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GillyGilly Frets: 1242
    I agree with you about the lack of descriptions. They even do it with really expensive vintage guitars. It’s just lazy and if the item was described properly then I could understand their reluctance to refund the return postage. 

But in this instance you’re absolutely in the right. They didn’t describe the item properly so they should cough up. End of. 
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2512
    Ah, The Uber rare fender ‘fretless wonder’…. Surprised they didn’t try and hike price up for such rarity!
    They will have done by 10% on eBay, like they do with all their items.

RichTone & Sound Affects are the only ones among the more well known retailers that do this from what I can tell.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2512
    RobG3294 said:

Shocking way to lose a customer who's probably spent in excess of 10k with them over £20.
    Perhaps they are trying to recoup some of the loss they made on that hideous Supreme Strat they took in a few months ago.

Originally listed at £4,499 it is now down to £3,299 and still about £3k more than I'd pay for it - https://richtonemusic.co.uk/fender-ltd-ed-supreme-stratocaster-white-case-2nd-hand/
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave8Dave8 Frets: 332
    edited July 23
    I have had generally ok dealings with them. Although a friend dislikes them massively after a bad experience. 

One thing I didn’t like was on a visit to try out a few guitars. After trying 3 or 4 guitars they said I wasn’t allowed to try any more. Granted it was post covid, and they had to clean the guitars.. but if I’m looking at spending a few grand at the shop, them cleaning a couple of guitars is the least they can do. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2362
    Wow. Those frets are garbage, aren’t they. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JayceroseJaycerose Frets: 4
    edited July 23
    Richtones second hand department really  dont seem to give a crap. I know a guy who bought what they had listed as a "2001" fender american standard stratocaster for them that actually turned out to be a partscaster, 2001. Body and 2016 neck. The fact their listing had no pictures of the back of the headstock with serial number that clearly showed the neck wasn't from a 2001 and that they would have had to look at the internals of the body to work out it was a 2001 body tells you they clearly knew it was a parts guitar and failed to mention this in the listing. Approach with caution 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9794
    Simples - it's £20. Get over it, move on, don't buy from them again. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3437
    StefB said:
    RobG3294 said:

Shocking way to lose a customer who's probably spent in excess of 10k with them over £20.
    Perhaps they are trying to recoup some of the loss they made on that hideous Supreme Strat they took in a few months ago.

Originally listed at £4,499 it is now down to £3,299 and still about £3k more than I'd pay for it - https://richtonemusic.co.uk/fender-ltd-ed-supreme-stratocaster-white-case-2nd-hand/
    to be fair, that will sell. Last couple on reverb sold over 4k, but no clue why or what the point of it is.. 

Supreme clothing is even more insanely priced 
  • WBT2079WBT2079 Frets: 88
    I have used Richtone for second hand gear before mostly pedals and an amp and never had an issue. Ordered a secondhand guitar a few weeks back and it arrived filthy and grubby and had sticky finger marks all over it. They did go down in my estimation for that. It doesn’t take much to give a guitar a clean when you take it in before you send it out.
  • RobG3294RobG3294 Frets: 529
    chris78 said:
    Next person might not be. I understand your point mate and that's the world we live in, I do. I'm just not an apathetic person (for my sins). They should know better and shouldn't leave their customers out of pocket to any sum for selling crap that doesn't meet standard for resale. Stuff like that is a habit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1988
    RobG3294 said:
    chris78 said:
    Next person might not be. I understand your point mate and that's the world we live in, I do. I'm just not an apathetic person (for my sins). They should know better and shouldn't leave their customers out of pocket to any sum for selling crap that doesn't meet standard for resale. Stuff like that is a habit.
    OK, how about…..Simples - it's £20. Get over it, move on, don't buy from them again and leave a shitty Google review.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1579
    I'm actually with you on this. 

If they're not going to return your £20, get £20 worth of labour out of them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GillyGilly Frets: 1242
    chris78 said:
    I’m sure you’d feel differently if it was you getting ripped off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8167
    RobG3294 said:
     .... forgot to even crown the frets or couldn't obtain a crown because so little material height is left ....

I would go with the latter of the educated guesses.  It looks as though whoever did the last fret dress probably just used a "flapper" up and down the neck to try and round over the squared edges of the flattened frets because they couldn't get a crowning file over the remaining frets without the edges of the file lying on the fretboard on either side of the frets.  THAT should have been obvious to the retailer, but in the absence of any detailed description where they describe and categorise fret wear and playability (as many retailers do) you are at the mercy of photographs.

Personally I think a stinker of a review is your best option in the circumstances, because you are likely to just be knocking your head on a brick wall trying to get your £20 shipping costs back.  I would be curious to know whether they give a more comprehensive and accurate description when the same guitar appears on their website again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom