Rich Tone Music

What's Hot

Comments

• Dave8Dave8 Frets: 349
    I'll admit my heart sank when I saw the thread title. It sank a fair bit more when I saw the words '2010 Fender Strat Deluxe'. Rob, are you talking about this one? https://richtonemusic.co.uk/fender-american-deluxe-strat-sunset-metallic-kinman-pickups-case-2nd-hand/

If so, then I bought this off their website last friday (19th), it turned up on sunday, and I've just spent the last few days assuming they'd send the frets in a separate parcel at some point.

Sad thing is, before buying, I messaged them on ebay to ask what the fret wear was like as this is a 14 year old guitar and I assumed there would be quite a bit, their reply was, "Thanks for your enquiry. There is very little fret wear on this guitar, it is 14 years old but has probably had very little use or has been played by someone with a light touch."

Just out of interest, did you contact richtone and tell them about how shite the frets were before sending it back? If so, do you remember what date you did this on? I asked them about the fret wear on the 19th.

Maybe it’s worth returning if you aren’t happy? If you feel it’s not as described. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8555
    Well this has got interesting
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4139
    Well they haven’t got a leg to stand on now have they?

Fucking dicks for reselling it like that when they knew the reason for return.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2488
    edited July 25
  • DumodalDumodal Frets: 539
    I'll admit my heart sank when I saw the thread title. It sank a fair bit more when I saw the words '2010 Fender Strat Deluxe'. Rob, are you talking about this one? https://richtonemusic.co.uk/fender-american-deluxe-strat-sunset-metallic-kinman-pickups-case-2nd-hand/

If so, then I bought this off their website last friday (19th), it turned up on sunday, and I've just spent the last few days assuming they'd send the frets in a separate parcel at some point.

Sad thing is, before buying, I messaged them on ebay to ask what the fret wear was like as this is a 14 year old guitar and I assumed there would be quite a bit, their reply was, "Thanks for your enquiry. There is very little fret wear on this guitar, it is 14 years old but has probably had very little use or has been played by someone with a light touch."

Just out of interest, did you contact richtone and tell them about how shite the frets were before sending it back? If so, do you remember what date you did this on? I asked them about the fret wear on the 19th.

See, this bothers me as they are not being honest, the frets are clearly not great, hard pass. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7555

That does put a very different spin on it, if you’d specifically asked about fret wear and they’d lied through their teeth.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Al_NicoAl_Nico Frets: 15
    Hi. Not good to be let down by the description. I suspect the shop may not have to take it back at all since it isn't damaged as such and makes sounds? It's a shame because a guitar seller could restore and add value to a guitar like this. I'm not in the business so perhaps I am dreaming. Perhaps you could let them know you're disappointed because the guitar needed work that was not mentioned in the add, and if they were to return your shipping costs you will accept the shop made an honest mistake and sold the guitar in good faith?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BobHillmanBobHillman Frets: 278

It almost seems as if what they meant to say was "The frets on this guitar are very little due to wear", i.e. as Eric Morecombe would put it "All the right words but in the wrong order". =)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 10003
    edited July 23
    Gilly said:
    chris78 said:
    Gilly said:
    Yes he is. He’s being ripped off £20. Regardless of whether it buys a round or not it’s the principle - why let them get away with such poor service? Not only is he losing £20, he’s had the hassle (and risk) of having to return the guitar. All because Richtone can’t, or rather won’t, describe their items properly.
    With respect to the OP, he bought the item from Richtone knowing they describe very little about their guitars - their listings all say "give us a call to discuss". Personally, I wouldn't buy a used guitar from them because they can't be bothered to tell me about it. Andertons are the same on used gear. Compare that to Coda/Peach/Guitars4you who offer a detailed breakdown about the guitar, individual and detailed studio photos.

Due to the lack of description, the buyer hasn't done his due diligence on the guitar. I realise thats a tough lesson to learn, but my guess is that Richtone deliberately offer next to no info for this exact reason. 
    Again I disagree. The guitar was listed as in “good” condition. So the OP could reasonably expect the frets to be in good condition, which if they’re excessively worn they clearly are not. So he’s done absolutely nothing wrong and Richtone are bang out of order. 
    I’ve really got no skin in this but to quote them “ If you are looking for something in extremely good condition it is advised to call for a detailed talk through of the item before ordering. If you have any questions about this item or would like to know more about it, please feel free to contact us with any specific questions and a member of our sales staff will get back to you straight away.”

Put a call in or walk away

What is very different is the second buyers experience where they’ve outright lied. That’s not acceptable
  • Lawriejones1Lawriejones1 Frets: 160
    This same thing happened to me. I bought a 1975 Mustang Bass and when I replaced the strings and tried to tweak it, turns out the truss rod was seized up.

I phoned up and complained and they paid for a return.

The bass appeared on the site literally within 20 minutes of it arriving and none of the issues were mentioned.

it’s truly awful.
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GillyGilly Frets: 1328
    chris78 said:

I’ve really got no skin in this but to quote them “ If you are looking for something in extremely good condition it is advised to call for a detailed talk through of the item before ordering. If you have any questions about this item or would like to know more about it, please feel free to contact us with any specific questions and a member of our sales staff will get back to you straight away.”

What is very different is the second buyers experience where they’ve outright lied. That’s not acceptable
    Then why keep clutching at straws? The OP wasn’t “looking for something in extremely good condition”. He bought a guitar described as in “good” condition, which it clearly wasn’t given that the frets are knackered. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 10003
    Gilly said:
    chris78 said:

Then why keep clutching at straws? The OP wasn’t “looking for something in extremely good condition”. He bought a guitar described as in “good” condition, which it clearly wasn’t given that the frets are knackered. 
    I’ll just leave it by saying we obviously do very different due diligence when making a major purchase
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1788
    edited July 23
    RobG3294 said:
    Well I've had about fifty percent tell me to build a bridge and stuck it up, and the other half telling me to chase it up (which without sounding like I respect one side more than the other, thanks everyone for their input), I'm inclined to do.

They simply cannot claim that "well you should ring us beforehand" is a coverall against online distance selling regulations and/or best practice and duty of care. The onus is on them to describe things properly - and because they're too lazy too either a) do this or b) correctly appraise their stock when they take it in, they open themselves up to this situation in my personal opinion. 

Of course it's passed off as fussy customers, but what realistically am I supposed to do with frets like those? 

I did indeed send them an email articulating the issue prior to return and they never mentioned not refunding me wholly - "they just said no problem to return" (verbatim). 

If they 'deemed it fit for resale' I genuinely worry about the standard of employee/techs they have working for them.

I'm not going to go without bread and water because of the 20 notes, but why should I (or anyone else in the situation) be out of pocket for a single penny and also have to foot the risk of return transit (which was fine in this case) because of their apathetic approach to selling stuff. 
    Stick to your guns mate, they owe you £20. 

Doesn't matter if you are a millionaire, claiming universal credit or anywhere in between.  

I'd consider sending them a link to this thread too.

• matonematone Frets: 216
    Thanks for the post OP ,I`ve been interested in several used items that Richtone have had recently but didn`t buy in the end.I`ll give them a swerve now for sure !!!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 671
    The effort required to provide a half-decent description (assuming you’re actually checking the used gear you’re taking in) is so minimal that I’m baffled so many shops don’t do it. Seems such an own-goal.
  • RobG3294RobG3294 Frets: 543

Hi mate, yep I mentioned to Richtone the frets were knackered on the 12th of July so they've lied there.

They also told me the Guitar was sold in store after they received it back (presumably to give their side of the story kudos in that it had been bought in store, sight seen, and that a buyer had given it a pass in the flesh.

Turns out you bought it online. So they've lied there too.

My scooby senses tell me I may be getting my money back now if you have proof of purchase online @RaptorCheeses, and I'm definitely pursuing it now. I'll also liaise with you to help in whatever way I can if they're giving you a headache about it too. 

Sleazy feckers. Lazy selling practices and stubborn refunds policy is one thing and can be explained away, but in conjunction with the above, lying to two people in one fell swoop is a piss take. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • RobG3294RobG3294 Frets: 543

Here's the delivery info:

I've sent you a Direct Message mate, lets chat off here and see if we can come up with an email that puts the cat amongst the pigeons. They've clearly lied on the assumption neither I or you would find out about each other's stories, but sh*t happens, unfortunately for them  B)
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 795
    I seem to recall that back when eBay used to do price discount deals, Richtone were at the forefront of raising the prices on all their listings so that they got the extra money, rather than the buyer benefiting. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom