Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Most Overrated Bands in the World

What's Hot
This should be a hoot. Let's go then. Who do we, the members of The Fretboard community, feel are the most overrated bands in the world today? Be as brutally honest as you want. 

I'll go first ;) 

1) Pink Floyd. I'm sorry but they are just boring. I see nothing in them. I don't for one minute disagree when people say members such as David Gilmour are talented musicians. But that doesn't mean that Pink Floyd are worth listening to necessarily. ;)

2) Fleetwood Mac. Errrrrr I dunno what it is about them. I've always seen them sold as a great rock band but I just don't feel it? :( It doesn't make sense. Maybe it's the female vocals. 
Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The Beatles

Elvis

Muse

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • By the end of today this is just going to be a list of all the popular bands in history
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • Foo Fighters (but I'm loving the TV show)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6237
    edited November 2014
    Iron Maiden
    Slip Knot
    Judas Priest
    Guns N'Roses
    Def Leppard
    Kiss
    Motley Crue
    Rainbow
    Motorhead
    Bon Jovi
    Europe
    Slayer 
    Megadeath

Just the thought of this lot makes me want to yawn,,

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • By the end of today this is just going to be a list of all the popular bands in history

Quite. These things usually very quickly descend into a list of "bands you don't like"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDave;427918" said:
    Quite. These things usually very quickly descend into a list of "bands you don't like"
    Absolutely true; Bon Jovi.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31138
    This should be a hoot. Let's go then. Who do we, the members of The Fretboard community, feel are the most overrated bands in the world today? Be as brutally honest as you want. 

I'll go first ;) 

1) Pink Floyd. I'm sorry but they are just boring. I see nothing in them. I don't for one minute disagree when people say members such as David Gilmour are talented musicians. But that doesn't mean that Pink Floyd are worth listening to necessarily. ;)

2) Fleetwood Mac. Errrrrr I dunno what it is about them. I've always seen them sold as a great rock band but I just don't feel it? :( It doesn't make sense. Maybe it's the female vocals. 
    Reported for obsenity.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Today I think it will be cool not to like "(insert popular band name who have made millions $$ here)".

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17878
    tFB Trader
    The Kaiser Chiefs - Can barely play

The Libertines - Just total shite, no idea why they were so popular. I think they were just an NME band as I'm not sure I've ever met someone who actually liked them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Enter Shakari. I dont understand this band. Lots of people round 16-30 seem to genuinely think they're the best UK alternative band but to me they just sound crap on all fronts? Crap riffs, crap vocals, poor integration of electronic elements. 

I never use the term "overrated" because with a lot of bands I can understand why people like them even if I don't myself, but this band i just genuinely dont understand their success.

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    You know what? 

A while ago I would have leaped into an thread like this with all guns blazing. But these days, if anything comes on the radio that I dislike I just turn the radio off. And I try to avoid any thought or contact with stuff that annoys me. Makes life so much simpler. 

That said, an especially dark, nasty and torture-filled place in Hell is reserved for Mr Damon Albarn. 
  • not_the_dj;427891" said:
    Foo Fighters (but I'm loving the TV show)
    new album on amazon black friday. Now you're interested...

:(|)

No, they are remarkably dull.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    equalsql said:
    Iron Maiden
    Slip Knot
    Judas Priest
    Guns N'Roses
    Def Leppard
    Motley Crue
    Rainbow
    Motorhead
    Bon Jovi
    Slayer 
    Megadeath

Just the thought of this lot makes me want to yawn,,

:((

(I did edit a couple out....)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited November 2014
    The Kaiser Chiefs - Can barely play

Their bass player's great.

I agree with @hugbot - Enter Shikari are depressingly awful.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

The one band I really don't get is the Beatles.

I know they are/were very popular, and influential, I just don't get them.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbot;428084" said:
    Enter Shakari
    I never realised this was a band - naively I thought it was an instruction....
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Skarloey said:
    You know what? 

A while ago I would have leaped into an thread like this with all guns blazing. But these days, if anything comes on the radio that I dislike I just turn the radio off. And I try to avoid any thought or contact with stuff that annoys me. Makes life so much simpler. 

That said, an especially dark, nasty and torture-filled place in Hell is reserved for Mr Damon Albarn. 
    ...you still listen to the radio? 

As for Enter Shikari. I totally agree.

Oh. And. The Arctic Monkeys. Their first two albums were bloody awful. And then they miraculously matured into a band who sounded like they knew what they were doing but how the fudge they got so popular off the back of that first album beats me!! :(
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • Coldplay.

And post (Achtung Baby) U2 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    That Kaiser Chiefs song is one of those songs where every time it comes on I wish I was listening to the song thats a bit like it but better: Blur -Country House.

Other example, Jets "are you gonna be my girl" and Iggy Pops "Lust for life"
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    ...you still listen to the radio?

Oh. And. The Arctic Monkeys. Their first two albums were bloody awful. And then they miraculously matured into a band who sounded like they knew what they were doing but how the fudge they got so popular off the back of that first album beats me!! :(
    I listen to the radio a lot. Oddly, I keep hearing new music I quite like... you just have to ignore the crap, of which there is plenty. (As it has always been.)

I liked the first two Arctic Monkeys albums better than the next two, although the latest one is quite good.

Pink Floyd and Fleetwood Mac are not my two favourite bands, but there is a good reason they're two of the biggest-selling bands of all time. If you don't get them, chances are it's you and not them ;).

That said, I cannot understand the love for Guns 'n' Roses or Oasis.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein