Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Most Overrated Bands in the World

What's Hot

Comments

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Dream Theater

I agree. I appreciate their skill, but I just don't dig their sound.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2014
    Deleted double post. I blame a glitch in the Matrix.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Not saying they don't have it, just that I personally don't understand it. Basically, I can't stand U2.

There's plenty of my all time favourite bands/albums listed here, but I appreciate that not everyone shares my tastes so I'll hold my tongue rather than try to make the see the light :)

Gassage said:
    ICBM said:
    hobbio said:
    I've never understood the mass appeal of U2.
    It's called The Joshua Tree album, and it's flipping brilliant.
    So are Achtung Baby, All That You Can't Leave Behind, War and The Unforgettable Fire, at least. Some of the others are patchy, but there's more than enough there to explain why they have mass appeal.
    and Boy was their finest, IMHO.
    Not saying they don't have it, just that I personally don't understand it. Basically, I can't stand U2 and yes, I've heard plenty of their stuff. Desire and Pride are pretty good, otherwise they leave me cold. To me, they're overrated which I believe is the subject of the thread.

There's plenty of my all time favourite bands/albums listed here, but I appreciate that not everyone shares my tastes so I'll hold my tongue rather than try to make anyone see the light :)

Unless anyone says Helmet are overrated, in which case I'll end them! :D

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73055
    Who are Helmet?

;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    There's never been a chance of them being overrated cos only the enlightened few know who the fuck they are :D

• hobbio said:
    There's never been a chance of them being overrated cos only the enlightened few know who the fuck they are :D

Helmet?

I only know them from Paige (sp?) Hamilton playing lead on Unbeliever by Therapy? on the Troublegum album...IIRC

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10411
    The Script.

Bafflingly loved by virtually every woman I know (not many,admittedly)

All the elements that make Coldplay rubbish with added penny whistles,crap rapping and double denim.Utter drivel.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
    Mumford and Sons, On listening to their debut album I heard the track "sigh no more" and thought "wow, I love this" On getting to the end of the album I felt like I'd just listened to the same song 12 times.

I still love the track Sigh no More though.

"OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

hobbio said:

Helmet?

I only know them from Paige (sp?) Hamilton playing lead on Unbeliever by Therapy? on the Troublegum album...IIRC

Paige Hamilton for me is the best riffmeister bar none, and their original drummer John Stanier is a bit tasty too. If you fancy a listen try Unsung, FBLA II or Wilma's Rainbow.

• Mumford and Sons, On listening to their debut album I heard the track "sigh no more" and thought "wow, I love this" On getting to the end of the album I felt like I'd just listened to the same song 12 times.

I played a couple of theirs with my old band. I never knew which was which until the other guitarist started the intro...

Personally, I don't get prog, and therefore King Crimson, Yes, Rush and Zappa are all overrated because a non-zero number of people like them.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4637
    Anything prog... very overrated in my eyes (read ears)
  • The Beatles - they might have been the first big pop group, but Lennon and (more so) McCartney's songwriting is the kind of stuff a teenager with a passing musical interest could do these days.

Foo Fighters - I liked their earlier stuff but the same old quiet/loud/quiet/loud/here's a quirky lead break is getting boring these days.

Led Zep - Page's riffs sound overly similar to me and I hate that crappy scratchy tone he has, despite having a beast of a guitar.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73055
    The Beatles - they might have been the first big pop group, but Lennon and (more so) McCartney's songwriting is the kind of stuff a teenager with a passing musical interest could do these days.
    But only because they've grown up listening to The Beatles :).

Or Oasis :D.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I refuse to answer as we all perceive music differently.

But I do like to ponder:
    Which bands would be shit if they had to play live - right now - with somebody else's gear.....?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dream Theater

Overrated, yes, but I own their entire back catalogue. Go figure. They're such good musicians. But I agree they're overrated. And a lot of that probably comes just from the fact that they're highly technical musicians so they "must be amazing"??
    Ahh you can save me some time then. Do they have any actual songs?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Green Day
    The Doors
    Rolling Stones
    Kiss
    The Beatles
    Coldplay
    Poison, Motley Crue and any other hair metal

I could write a real long list but I can't be arsed
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• I don't think anyones mentioned AC/DC yet.  I really liked them for about five minutes back in the day.  An observation from my guitar teacher days:  I had a lot of students over a ten year period at the height of AC/DC's popularity that all wanted to play popular guitar solos by their favorite bands.  No one ever asked me to help them with even part of an AC/DC solo.  They did want to learn some of the riffs and intros and then they would come in for the next lesson and say "have you ever heard of "Led Zeppelin"?(Honest!  This happened several times).

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited November 2014
    Ahh you can save me some time then. Do they have any actual songs?

To name a couple. They're not underrated musicians but quite underrated songwriters IMO. Most of the lyrics are shit though.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • T. Rex

I've never understood the fascination with this band (apart from Girlies wetting their Knickers due to the Singist). I can tolerate a couple of tracks but most of what I've heard is just bland crap IMO.

I always wondered what "vision" people of that era had of "what was to come in the 70's". I was only born in 72, so I didn't "Live It".

What was is about bands in the "Glam" category in the 70's? Lot's of great bands and artists, but some real "Twee Bollocks" intermingled.

Mud looked like Working Men's Club Rejects.

For good Glam, give me Sweet, Slade, Bowie or Roxy Music any day.

Your opinions may vary though.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
    This guy - Shite :))

"OUR TOSSPOT"