Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Most Overrated Bands in the World

What's Hot

Comments

• Led Zeppelin obviously.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • This guy - Shite :))

I'm gonna pretend you didn't just say that... ;) 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12513
    stickyfiddle;428735" said:

Personally, I don't get prog, and therefore King Crimson, Yes, Rush and Zappa are all overrated because a non-zero number of people like them.
    You can't just write off King Crimson as "prog" though. Yes, they did have a prog period, but the band has mutated so many times and had so many line-ups they're almost impossible to pin down to one genre. Their catalogue of music ranges from pop to jazz, metal to symphonic. You can't really base your opinion on just a couple of albums, Court of the Crimson King is vastly different to Discipline etc etc etc.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23631
    I don't want to do a long list of bands I don't like, but one particular band sprang to mind who've been around forever, are absolutely huge, and somehow still remain trendy to go and see whenever they drag their old bones out on tour.... even all those pretentious Radio 6 Music wankers get all excited when they play Glasto or somewhere....

The Rolling Stones.

Yes, they have made some great records (but not for decades).  No, I have never, personally, seen them live.  But I've seen quite a few of their shows on film/TV and they are a ragged, shambolic (and yes occasionally glorious) mess.  Ronnie Wood in particular.... I don't know what to say really, 50 years in the music business and what exactly is he good at?.... is he the luckiest man alive or what?

I just don't get them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1843
    I think that with a lot of these bands, it is very difficult to comment on their level of ratedness due to familiarity.  Take for instance the Beatles.  People mentioning them as over-rated but surely that's just based on over-exposure.  It's pretty much impossible for me to get my head round just how influential they were because I am too young.
  • I agree with @the_jaffa

The other thing that I don't understand is when bands (like The Beatles) become a "fashion".

You know, when you see someone walking around in a Beatles tee and you ask them what their favourite song is and they fob off the one or two big songs the band has and they don't even own or listen to any of the band's music? 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • oddballoddball Frets: 248
    Michael Jackson - utter shit in every way. Bad music, dances like a man with Parkinson's, stupid short trousers with white socks making you look like you bother kids....... The most over-rated (and I use this term with as much irony as possible) ' artist ' ever. This is based on the existence of the dross Mr Cowell churns out ( and we can look forward to the latest abomination just around the corner with their imminent highly original cover about to be released) notice that most X factor contestants name MJ as an inspiration
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I agree with @the_jaffa

The other thing that I don't understand is when bands (like The Beatles) become a "fashion".

You know, when you see someone walking around in a Beatles tee and you ask them what their favourite song is and they fob off the one or two big songs the band has and they don't even own or listen to any of the band's music? 
    With The Beatles it wasn't just a tee, at the height of "Beatlemania" they were selling Beatle wigs, Beatle boots and people were referring to Pauls violin shaped Hofner bass as a "Beatle Bass".  My sister had a Beatle tray and there was an animated Saturday morning cartoon show.  I still recall the day a buddy of mine showed up at my house with the latest Beatles single, "Get Back".  He was in a panic because when he got home from the store with it he discovered his record player was broken so he ran over to my house to see if he could listen to it there.  He played it over again at least 20 times before my Mom made him stop.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23631
    I agree with @the_jaffa

The biggest example of that would have to be the Ramones.

(I'm not saying they're overrated)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • My mom saw Shirley Bassey booed off stage.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Got be AC/DC for me, I have a group of friends who love them but I don't get it. Each song sounds pretty much the same but worst of all is those "vocals", the way most songs start with sudden loud screach and continue in the same vein.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited December 2014
    IMO:

Coldplay - dull music for middle class white people who don't normally listen to "rock".
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - everything after One Hot Minute became progressively more boring yet they seemed to become more popular.
    Guns n Roses (apart from Appetite)
    Kiss.
    Pink Floyd - patchy albums at best, although some are good.  Endless River was their most boring.  I think a lot of people say they like them just because they are Pink Floyd.  
    The Smiths.
    Led Zep.
    John Mayer.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The Rolling Stones....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    edited December 2014
    Bring Me The Horizon
    I like them, I really do. I'm listening to Alligator Blood right now, but they really aren't GOOD enough to warrant their popularity. 
    Drums are pretty unimaginative, their synth elements in their new album are a bit naff and over done and Oli's clean vocals are just meh... 

Old BMTH:
    Alligator Blood with Lee Malia on the bottom (Lead) and Jona Weinhofen (rhythm) on top

New BMTH:

Whatever, I'm seeing them at Wembley on friday. It's a chance for me to go mental to mosh-friendly metal and have a laugh :) 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • Mumford and Sons, On listening to their debut album I heard the track "sigh no more" and thought "wow, I love this" On getting to the end of the album I felt like I'd just listened to the same song 12 times.

I still love the track Sigh no More though.

This guy covered all of their songs in one song.

:D
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32 said:
    Bring Me The Horizon
    I like them, I really do. I'm listening to Alligator Blood right now, but they really aren't GOOD enough to warrant their popularity. 
    Drums are pretty unimaginative, their synth elements in their new album are a bit naff and over done and Oli's clean vocals are just meh... 

Old BMTH:
    Alligator Blood with Lee Malia on the bottom (Lead) and Jona Weinhofen (rhythm) on top

New BMTH:

Whatever, I'm seeing them at Wembley on friday. It's a chance for me to go mental to mosh-friendly metal and have a laugh :) 

I massively prefer newer BMTH, Sempiternal is incredible IMO and is one of my favourite metal albums in recent years - it feels more about the whole song than just the heaviness.  It is almost pop metal really, it kind of feels like the 'core' equivalent of what Hybrid Theory was for Nu Metal.  Though in a lot of the tracks the guitars are quite low down in the mix - Can You Feel My Heart is mostly synths.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Hertz32 said:
    Bring Me The Horizon

Old BMTH:

New BMTH:

I massively prefer newer BMTH, Sempiternal is incredible IMO and is one of my favourite metal albums in recent years - it feels more about the whole song than just the heaviness.  It is almost pop metal really, it kind of feels like the 'core' equivalent of what Hybrid Theory was for Nu Metal.  Though in a lot of the tracks the guitars are quite low down in the mix - Can You Feel My Heart is mostly synths.
    @guitarfishbay I do like Sempiternal, don't get me wrong. I even have space in my heart for Drown (Not don't look down though. fucking crap that was) I just think that BMTH is getting a lot of press for being a british metalcore band, rather than an american one. The Americans have dominated the 'cores for years with Suicide Silence, Underoath, All that remains etc. 
    BMTH are very very good, and I'm sure they'll be at the forefront of 'the screamo revival' (Not even joking, this is supposed to be a thing now) 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • Mars mother fucking volta. One good album and several hours of absolute fucking dross. The bellend got instrumentalists to paly their parts without ever hearing the context when some of the albums are recorded...and it sounds like it.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • oddball said:
    Michael Jackson - utter shit in every way. Bad music, dances like a man with Parkinson's, stupid short trousers with white socks making you look like you bother kids....... The most over-rated (and I use this term with as much irony as possible) ' artist ' ever. This is based on the existence of the dross Mr Cowell churns out ( and we can look forward to the latest abomination just around the corner with their imminent highly original cover about to be released) notice that most X factor contestants name MJ as an inspiration

YES! I get shot down in flames in my band when I say Jacko was a horrid singer and dancer. But I'm right.
    I wouldn't necessarily say the same about him in the Jackson 5, but as a solo act, there's nothing I like about him.

• Mars mother fucking volta. One good album and several hours of absolute fucking dross. The bellend got instrumentalists to paly their parts without ever hearing the context when some of the albums are recorded...and it sounds like it.
    Which album would that good one be then? ;) Careful what you say... Hahaha. :)