Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Most Overrated Bands in the World

What's Hot

Comments

• gubblegubble Frets: 1770
    IMO:

Red Hot Chili Peppers - everything after One Hot Minute became progressively more boring yet they seemed to become more popular.

Oh god yes, however i'd say i enjoyed the albums (up until the last one which was terrible) live they're just rubbish in my opinion, i'm ok with having a bit of a jam during live shows but they just sound terrible live.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IMO:

Coldplay - dull music for middle class white people who don't normally listen to "rock".
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - everything after One Hot Minute became progressively more boring yet they seemed to become more popular.
    Guns n Roses (apart from Appetite)
    Kiss.
    Pink Floyd - patchy albums at best, although some are good.  Endless River was their most boring.  I think a lot of people say they like them just because they are Pink Floyd.  
    The Smiths.
    Led Zep.
    John Mayer.

Agood list, especially the Smtihs - I would also add The Stone Roses to that list.
  • the pixies. to me they all sound like they can't play, write a tune, and the singer can't sing.

now, in some cases i can forgive those elements in isolation... but the way they so artfully bring them altogether in abundance is just beyond my comprehension.

perhaps my brain just hears different to everbody else....
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23631

^

I know where you're coming from, I'd read a lot about how amazing the Pixies were supposed to be and blind-bought a best-of.  I never did get into it although were some good bits here and there.

• oddball said:
    Michael Jackson - utter shit in every way. Bad music, dances like a man with Parkinson's, stupid short trousers with white socks making you look like you bother kids....... The most over-rated (and I use this term with as much irony as possible) ' artist ' ever. This is based on the existence of the dross Mr Cowell churns out ( and we can look forward to the latest abomination just around the corner with their imminent highly original cover about to be released) notice that most X factor contestants name MJ as an inspiration

The god awful production of his solo output probalbly contribute more to my dislike of Jackson's output more than anything else.The songs may well have sounded better if it wasn't for 80s synth/drum machines etc that littered pretty much all of his post Jackson 5 career output.
    As for over rated acts, my vote lands on Coldplay. Dreary music aimed at people who buy 1 album of music a year from Tescos.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    Mumford and Sons, On listening to their debut album I heard the track "sigh no more" and thought "wow, I love this" On getting to the end of the album I felt like I'd just listened to the same song 12 times.

I still love the track Sigh no More though.

This guy covered all of their songs in one song.

:D
    This has made my day! :D
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10411
    @Hertz32 I remember seeing BMTH in 2007 supported by The Architects at Cleethorpes Pier supported by which you can probably imagine is not a great venue.They where pretty damn good if I remember correctly.It was back when they had the lanky guitarist whose name escapes me.Don't listen to them much now but I've always had a soft spot for them since that gig.I quite like the way Lee Malia has developed his playing though.He's the lone guitarist now isn't he?
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    @breakstuff yeah he is, although they have a mate who plays rhythm live for their old stuff. Now that they have synth/keys Lee takes the back seat in songwriting and performing though. I've always been a big fan of his, and he is good. They released Count your blessings when he was 16! 

Cleethorpes must have been amazing though :) 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    It was pretty damn good @Hertz
    Its quite a big venue but the show was really intimate.Seeing the band that close up with Oli Sykes screaming literally in your face was pretty mad.I went with a couple of mates and the only downside was that we where all in our thirties and almost everyone else looked about fifteen.Turned out it was student night which we weren't aware of before we ordered tickets.Wouldn't have stopped me going to be honest but we didn't half feel bloody old :)

Architects where pretty decent too.They'd not long been on the scene and where still massively heavy.
  • Mars mother fucking volta. One good album and several hours of absolute fucking dross. The bellend got instrumentalists to paly their parts without ever hearing the context when some of the albums are recorded...and it sounds like it.
    Which album would that good one be then? ;) Careful what you say... Hahaha. :) 

Nocturniquet
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Mars mother fucking volta. One good album and several hours of absolute fucking dross. The bellend got instrumentalists to paly their parts without ever hearing the context when some of the albums are recorded...and it sounds like it.
    Which album would that good one be then? ;) Careful what you say... Hahaha. :) 

Nocturniquet
    I'm really surprised you said that. I thought that one was shit. Octahedron is my favourite. ;) Then "The Bedlam in Goliath" and "Frances the Mute" (though those are reserved for certain times, they're pretty intense in places). 

De-loused... is pretty good. I never got into Amputecture or Noctourniquet. 

Note: TMV are not actually one of my favourite bands. I like them. I just felt their album titles were cool and worked as forum aliases well haha. 

Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6936
    edited December 2014
    mike_l;428136" said:
    The one band I really don't get is the Beatles.

I know they are/were very popular, and influential, I just don't get them.
    I'm with you in this. I understand their place in musical history and influence on just about every artist that followed over the next 30 years but I find a lot of their catalogue sounds outdated.

Early Stones, Who, Kinks etc to my ears has aged much better.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    @breakstuff
    Only just recovered enough from Wembey to type about it. 
    I fully retract my opinion that BMTH are overrated. Holy fuck. 
    Ended up right at the front, elbow over the barrier right under the speakers and holy shit was it amazing. They had Curtis Ward come on and play Pray for Plagues with them - Something I doubt will ever happen again. -  and they had more than a few walls of death. Most of which ran the entire length of wembley! 
    Circle and mosh pits from start to finish, pyrotechnics left right and centre and Oli's voice has vastly improved since his singing lessons began this year. As previously his live performances were hit or miss, although he was seriously consistent all through the night at Wembley.

'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    Nice one @Hertz sounds like a great night.

Ahh,the good old mosh pit.I remember getting sucked into one at a Lamb Of God gig a few years ok.Won't be doing that again in a hurry
    :D

I saw the footage of their Download performance and agree,Oli's voice has definitely improved.

Glad you enjoyed the show mate.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2916
    monquixote;428067" said:
    The Kaiser Chiefs - Can barely play

The Libertines - Just total shite, no idea why they were so popular. I think they were just an NME band as I'm not sure I've ever met someone who actually liked them.
    Fighting talk that !!!!

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1644
    Iamnobody said:
    mike_l;428136" said:
    The one band I really don't get is the Beatles.

I know they are/were very popular, and influential, I just don't get them.
    I'm with you in this. I understand their place in musical history and influence on just about every artist that followed over the next 30 years but I find a lot of their catalogue sounds outdated.

Early Stones, Who, Kinks etc to my ears has aged much better.
    But to class them as overrated is a bit of a push. Not to your tastes sure but to say that they didn't give every band in music the confidence to try different music would be off the mark. 
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 641
    Radiohead
    The Smiths
    David Bowie (great voice, mediocre songs)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73055
    Jeremiah said:

You can't be serious.

I admit he has produced quite a lot of tosh and filler over the years - not surprising over such a long career - but his best songs are up there with anyone's.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jeremiah said:
    Radiohead
    The Smiths
    Agreed x3. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6270
    Queen

Just rubbish
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom