Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Most Overrated Bands in the World

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Coldplay.

End of thread.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Fretwired said:
    Coldplay.

End of thread.
    Thread stopped so we can stone the heretic?

The Libertines - Just total shite, no idea why they were so popular. I think they were just an NME band as I'm not sure I've ever met someone who actually liked them.

Can't stand them?

For me, most metal. Almost everything described as djent. There's sometimes interesting music in there, and then someone's been allowed in to scream over it. Don't get it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    I've always struggled with The Doves - the 'rhythms' are just relentless pounding and the vocals are wishy washy and flat. Do not get the appeal at all.
    All practice and no theory
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31138
    edited November 2014
    Coldplay.

And post (Achtung Baby) U2 
    Here's the thing...

TheOtherMrGassage bought me, for my Xmas, a ticket to see Coldsore at the Ricoh 2012.

I stamped angrilly to the gig. I muttered and cursed through Rita Ora and Robyn. And then Coldsore came on and within a minute I was desperate to go home.

After 2 mins, I did start to watch.

After 3 mins I was engaged and after 5 I was utterly captivated. After 2 hours I was stunned.

I walked away wondering if it was the best show I've ever seen and I went and got tickets for another 3 gigs on that tour.

Viva La Viva live is one of the finest things I've ever seen.

Utterly jaw-dropping live. I still wouldn't listen to their stuff much, but go see them? I am there.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 328
    edited November 2014
    Nirvana
    Metallica

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I've never understood the mass appeal of U2.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• hobbio said:
    It's called The Joshua Tree album, and it's flipping brilliant.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    hobbio said:
    So are Achtung Baby, All That You Can't Leave Behind, War and The Unforgettable Fire, at least. Some of the others are patchy, but there's more than enough there to explain why they have mass appeal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GassageGassage Frets: 31138
    ICBM said:
    hobbio said:
    So are Achtung Baby, All That You Can't Leave Behind, War and The Unforgettable Fire, at least. Some of the others are patchy, but there's more than enough there to explain why they have mass appeal.
    and Boy was their finest, IMHO.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Jaycee said:
    Nirvana
    Yep, Nevermind was an average album, which got pedalled on MTV relentlessly.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Dream Theater

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

• mike_l said:
    Jaycee said:
    Nirvana
    Yep, Nevermind was an average album, which got pedalled on MTV relentlessly.
    Wisdoms for @not_the_dj @Gassage and @ICBM re U2 and @mike_l and @Jaycee re Nirvana.

It's a cacophany in here, all these nails being hit firmly on the head.

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    imalone said:

For me, most metal. Almost everything described as djent. There's sometimes interesting music in there, and then someone's been allowed in to scream over it. Don't get it.
    A lot of those bands are more into clean singing these days.

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7829
    edited November 2014
    I think lots of bands produce one good album (or 1 albums worth of good material across their careers ) and get royally hyped because of it, which makes them over-rated. To me this also limits the list to either the mega successful, or the ones with huge cult following..

E.g
    Guns n Roses, love appetite, but all other output is patchy
    U2 love the Joshua tree, but after that meh
    MUSE, Killer Singles, awful albums
    Rolling Stones, Patchy at best (listening after the fact)
    Pink Floyd, Some amazing tracks, but boring albums with lots of indulgent filler nonsense
    Beatles, again maybe you had to be there, but for me horrible twee songs, then indulgent crap
    Radiohead - The most overrated singer in history, if nothing else, loved Ok computer, the Bends is good, but then...
    Nick Cave and the Bad seeds... One sound, it's a good sound, but still
    And then there is that really depressing singer songwriter who's name escapes me, that I can't stand... edit Nick Drake

I do like songs by all of the above bands, but overrated? Yes, all of them.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited November 2014
    Skarloey said:
    You know what? 

A while ago I would have leaped into an thread like this with all guns blazing. But these days, if anything comes on the radio that I dislike I just turn the radio off. And I try to avoid any thought or contact with stuff that annoys me. Makes life so much simpler. 

That said, an especially dark, nasty and torture-filled place in Hell is reserved for Mr Damon Albarn. 
    ...you still listen to the radio? 

As for Enter Shikari. I totally agree.

Oh. And. The Arctic Monkeys. Their first two albums were bloody awful. And then they miraculously matured into a band who sounded like they knew what they were doing but how the fudge they got so popular off the back of that first album beats me!! :(
    Yeah i still listen to the radio, but I'm like a feckin mad man on the dial.  If someone says something I don't like I switch over. If someone plays a song I don't like I switch over.

You're right about the Arctic Monkeys. Horrible lack of rhythm. Music you can only pogo to. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Skarloey said:

You're right about the Arctic Monkeys. Horrible lack of rhythm. Music you can only  can't even pogo to. 
    There, corrected.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    edited November 2014
    Dream Theater

Overrated, yes, but I own their entire back catalogue. Go figure. They're such good musicians. But I agree they're overrated. And a lot of that probably comes just from the fact that they're highly technical musicians so they "must be amazing"??
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    edited November 2014
    hobbio said:
    It's called Paul McGuinness, and he's one of the all-time great rock managers.
    Sorted. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Skarloey said:

Oh. And. The Arctic Monkeys. Their first two albums were bloody awful. And then they miraculously matured into a band who sounded like they knew what they were doing but how the fudge they got so popular off the back of that first album beats me!! :(
    Yeah i still listen to the radio, but I'm like a feckin mad man on the dial.  If someone says something I don't like I switch over. If someone plays a song I don't like I switch over.

You're right about the Arctic Monkeys. Horrible lack of rhythm. Music you can only pogo to. 

Lack of rhythm?! Wha...? Great drummer, tight band, characterful presentation...Give them some credit, no?

I also think the lyric writing is incredibly accomplished on that first album, and I'm a fair-weather fan of the band at best.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Skarloey said:

Lack of rhythm?! Wha...? Great drummer, tight band, characterful presentation...Give them some credit, no?

I also think the lyric writing is incredibly accomplished on that first album, and I'm a fair-weather fan of the band at best.
    No swing. No groove. Unless they've changed since I heard them. 

They always reminded me of Geoff Boycott  chuntering away over a drum machine while someone played Crass in the background.