Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Most Overrated Bands in the World

What's Hot

Comments

• Snap said:
    Queen

Just rubbish
    Why so? I would agree that *some* of their stuff is overrated but a lot of it I would say is not. Most of the songs that everyone knows are the ones that suck. Like y'know I'm really not a massive fan of We Will Rock You, etc. But if you get on and actually have a squizz at the Night at the Opera album in its entirety... there's just a lot of diversity there. It's more than just We Will Rock You, Bohemian Rhapsody etc. ;)
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Kiss.

I have never heard such over rated rubbish.
  • Alnico said:
    Kiss.

Really, people actually rate kiss....? I mean they are famous for sure, but mainly for 1 song + makeup. not sure anyone actually rates them though?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    Alnico said:
    Kiss.

Really, people actually rate kiss....? I mean they are famous for sure, but mainly for 1 song + makeup. not sure anyone actually rates them though?
    I think they were Massive in the states, may still be.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6936
    shaunm;444995" said:
    Iamnobody said:

mike_l;428136" said:The one band I really don't get is the Beatles.

I know they are/were very popular, and influential, I just don't get them.

I'm with you in this. I understand their place in musical history and influence on just about every artist that followed over the next 30 years but I find a lot of their catalogue sounds outdated.

Early Stones, Who, Kinks etc to my ears has aged much better.

But to class them as overrated is a bit of a push. Not to your tastes sure but to say that they didn't give every band in music the confidence to try different music would be off the mark. 
    No I wasn't necessarily saying the were overrated I just agreed with @mike_l about personally not getting them. If you read my post - I do understand their influence...

Previously known as stevebrum
  • JAYJO said:
    Alnico said:
    Kiss.

I think they were Massive in the states, may still be.
    They are still a huge act over there, but it's never quite made it over the pond.

Will be interesting to see how many people leave Donnigton on the Sunday night this year (after Slash it's Motley Crue then Kiss healing).

IIRC there a UK Sonisphere cancelled a few year back due to poor ticket sales that had Kiss headlining.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23589
    What's the "1 song" Kiss are supposed to be famous for? 

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited December 2014
    Philly_Q said:

Not sure on the big one, but possibly one of these...

• Just thought of another one! STATUS QUO.

They're shit. No matter how many times I try to get into them, I arrive at the conclusion that I like one song and that's it. Rain. It's a cool song. The rest is just a nice sleep aide. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7829
    edited December 2014

Philly_Q said:

This one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g4ygMGXU7Q

All though to be fair, I thought for years this was def leppard. Either way a pile of shite.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited December 2014

All though to be fair, I thought for years this was def leppard. Either way a pile of shite.

They'd done about a dozen albums before Crazy Nights. It might be the one we hear on the radio a lot over here, but that was well into their career (and in the non make-up MTV years).

(btw I'm not a massive Kiss fan at all, I'm really not sure why I'm posting all this!)
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1614
    edited December 2014
    don't hate U2, but I just don't get how they are that MASSIVE, I guess middle of the road is where it's at (Coldplay, Snowpatrol). And if you can make any money out of music, fair play these days.

These still make me smile though.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I also don't get KISS, maybe it's an American over-the-top show-off thing?

I quite like some of their songs, but doubt I'd want to see them live.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    The only good song Kiss had anything to do with is Let Me Entertain You.

... by Robbie Williams.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited December 2014

I'm not really a Kiss fan - I think I have two of their albums, and they're not even from the classic period.  I don't like Gene and Paul and their "only in it for the money" attitude.  But I do think they've written quite a lot of good songs. 

They were never really big in the UK until the post-makeup years so I don't think we fully appreciate just how massive they were in the '70s.  Apparently Kiss Alive! inspired many an American kid to take up guitar, not least Dimebag Darrell.  And that's not a bad thing.

• TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    Nobody mentioned The Darkness yet?

• I think anyone who thought they liked them realised how shit they actually were in about 2006
    edited December 2014
    TinLip said:
    I think they'd belong in a "Most Disappointing Second Album" thread (maybe there already is one?)

I still like the first album (although I haven't listened to it for years) but on the second they just.... collapsed.  It's a horrendous piece of shite.

• TinLip said:
    Nope! And, they're not going to either, or they really will be banished... :)

I Believe in a Thing Called Love was played to death back in late '03/'04, but, they're not overrated by any measure. Else, they would not have sold Permission to Land in the quantities they did.

I don't think you could call them overrated. Go watch them live when they next do a gig near you. Replacement drummer announcement pending. New album due early next year. 

I'm a fan, can you tell? 

No, but seriously, go watch them live. Yes they have a couple of shit songs here and there but get into the B-sides. Listen to the lyrics. They've made some very cleverly written songs in the lyrics and some of their guitar playing is genius. Again - go and see them live. They came to Aus in May '12. Bloody good gig.

Hot Cakes has some great songs on it.

Problem is the second album has some really great songs on it too but they hired fucking Roy Thomas Baker. Between them and the drugs and Roy Thomas Baker they over-produced that album until it was like caramel shortbread with an extra layer of caramel dusted with sugar because it was so sickly sweet there was nothing natural-sounding left in it. 

That kind of production works for Queen but it sure as hell didn't work for The Darkness!! 
  • @Octahedron gets wisdom for his defence of the Darkness. Excellent live band, good songs and only 1 shit album out of three. I saw them 3 times in 03-05 and every time was excellent. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires