Fallout 4

What's Hot

Comments

• d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Myranda said:
    @Myranda - you're right, they should have built it for super-computers only, why allow just anyone to play it?!
    Or.. you know have a "high quality textures" option? Madness I know... we should only have graphics allowed to the lowest common denominator - new games should ALL run with max settings on Casio graphing calculators? 

Don't be silly!

Just not ADDING a frame cap would have been an improvement, those with the processing power could benefit... magic - they had to encode a frame cap, so it was EXTRA work to stunt performance.

Battlefield 3 or 4 on the consoles had a higher quality texture pack which you could install to hard disk if you desired... could have done a similar thing here... 

Not catering for 40% + of PC users with more power than a console because someone on a console can't see a benefit is being a dick, and that's what has become increasingly common these days. Consoles were behind the top end of PC power when they were released, and they haven't gotten more powerful, PCs did, and the cost for that power dropped over time... so an awful lot of the 30ish% of the market using a PC to play games have more computer power than console owners, give them the OPTION of turning the graphics up... so it doesn't look like a cartoon.

Not the same as only allowing super computers to play... lots of other games give you that option, better textures, better lighting or shadow all sorts of things you can turn on or off depending on available processing power, like pretty much every PC game since Quake. 

What they got was a game that everyone could play at the highest settings because it's textures look like they were done on a colour etch-a-sketch 
    I agree with you they should have given the PC version the option.

Graphics do not equal fun though :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • The new Mirelurks are sooooo cute.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Myranda, I think you have missed a key point, which is: War, war never changes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    @Myranda, I think you have missed a key point, which is: War, war never changes.
    Bethesda, Bethesda never changes.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hey, if it ain't broke...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited November 2015
    The Steam PC version does have options for texture resolution (from low to ultra) it's got loads of options for everything. If you're playing it on PC and cant see a difference between it and Fallout 3/NV Ill have some of what you're smoking please. Which version is Myranda playing if he/she couldn't afford it exactly?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    The Steam PC version does have options for texture resolution (from low to ultra) it's got loads of options for everything. If you're playing it on PC and cant see a difference between it and Fallout 3/NV Ill have some of what you're smoking please. Which version is Myranda playing if he/she couldn't afford it exactly?
    I have friends whose copy I can play Steam allows you to play games that belong to your Family, I apparently have a large family ;-)... Incidently you're right, there are ultra level textures - they also look like low-res shitty textures from the Half-Life 2 era. All light sources have one colour of light, and one intensity of light ... an orange looking lamp casts a circle of pure white light... I should add that it's being run with everything on high to ultra (when I eventually noticed the "advanced" settings which are inaccessible in game)... still looks like shit.

Though power armour and your pip-boy show that the engine is capable of more, but Bethesda called it quits early when doing lighting for any other source - harsh white light only please, which rather helps highlight the crappy textures.

Now, through playing more (like I said, the story isn't bad, so played for that...) I noticed something. There is evidence all around of the engine being good enough... the glass on the protectron head is clear (so why not on vodka bottles or empty bottles??) the rounded part of the back end of the barrel on the combat rifle is reflective and you can see clearly the reflection of everything behind you (but not you... you don't exist!) so it's capable of rendering proper textures... 

I know there are worse games out there, and I know that it's a story driven blah blah blah but... Bethesda made an announcement along the lines of "look how great our graphics are!" and "hey you can make your character look however you want" ... well the graphics are mainly crappy-to-average and all the faces, including the pre-generated ones they put in for NPCs look like they'd be rejected at a sex doll factory for looking too fake and lifeless.

And was anyone upset with the skill system? why did that have to die? Or rather, be hidden from us (because it's all still done on skill calculations and some perks increase some skills). Don't know if the new system is better - it's cleaner I suppose, but in previous games you could have multiple skills you were good at, one perk per level means taking a bloodly long time to get average at any skill. Level 19 before I could attempt master locks and master terminals, level 19 in Fallout 3 or New Vegas and I'd be storming through those same obstacles and be able to shoot things too!
  • Bloody hell man, just get in the game and enjoy it! Jeez...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I picked my copy up for £15 in Sainsubrys thanks to them doubling nectar point redemptions!

Loving it so far, graphics look very good for an ancient engine, and the gameplay is fine and familiar.
  • I have finally sat down and played it this weekend.

I'm lev17 and enjoying it very much. Currently scavenging diamond city and having a mutant as a fellow. Such a great game.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27861
    Enjoying this at the moment (L20 ish). MrsF likes doing all the settlement stuff so I leave her to that and I go find loot & kill baddies when she's done.

It's not grabbing me as much as F3 and NV did, if I'm honest, but good fun all the same.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29209
    I'm level 58, been doing a lot of random wandering, now focusing on the story quest. I did have to put the difficulty up 'cos my perks and kit had made me near-invulnerable.

I've done some base-building too but mostly I like to roam.

Overall I think it's my favourite of the series so far, particularly because the colour palette isn't so drab and it feels a bit more optimistic. Some of the quirkiness seems to have been toned down, maybe, but still suitably silly in places
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • I'm only lev 21 so far and have just killed Kellog ;)

- You guys level up quicker by wandering and melee or completion quests?
    I'm not sure I've leveled up quickly, but I do tend with open-world games to just go off on a wander. There's so much to do, and I know what when I finish the story quest I'll find it hard to carry on with the smaller stuff. The trick for me is to keep upping the difficulty to keep it challenging - when you can kill a Deathclaw with one punch it takes some of the tension out!
  • Sporky;956790" said:
    I'm not sure I've leveled up quickly, but I do tend with open-world games to just go off on a wander. There's so much to do, and I know what when I finish the story quest I'll find it hard to carry on with the smaller stuff. The trick for me is to keep upping the difficulty to keep it challenging - when you can kill a Deathclaw with one punch it takes some of the tension out!
    Oh definitely, I'm nowhere near that powerful yet. Managed to kill "Swan" with a pistol though, as he blocked himself between the trees ;)

Which quests / character / structures You find the most interesting / annoying?

I like to explore too and don't concentrate too much on a storyline. Old bunkers and forts are pretty cool.
    I tend to play with no companions in skyrim/diablo but surprisingly I do like to have a dogmeat or mutant by my side.
    I think it's the defend-the-settlement ones I dislike most - they're usually worried about something halfway across the map.

I'm mostly a sneaker, so lots of levels in stealth and associated. Hacking and lockpicking too.

For sidekicks I like Nick best so far.

I've also taken a real dislike to the Gunners so any opportunity to harass them is an opportunity I'll take.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2043
    edited February 2016
    I finished the core story at about level 58 and 130 hours of play. Loved it, but I've been playing since the original Fallout released about 100 years ago.

I'm playing on PC so I've just downloaded a stack of mods and it's fantastic.  Green grass, can build anything in the settlements - if its in the game, you can build it, nastier storms, etc. etc.

/geek mode off
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A bug to watch out for is the radio operator Minuteman who won't sit in his seat and bangs on about there being no power to the radio.  It ends the artillery strikes for you.
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    Level 80 now and exploring and finding the remaining 50+ magazines XD  Done the main quest line and all variations... now is the time for hipster grand designs settlement building and finally re-instigating guitar practice irl ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom