Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• wellsyboy said:
    Tried the update to 3.01 and I get the message Boot failure. Entered update mode! 
    Anyone know how to fix this - tried factory reset but no joy - get same message and Helix Edit can't see it now either
    Sussed it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25557
    wellsyboy said:

wellsyboy said:
    Tried the update to 3.01 and I get the message Boot failure. Entered update mode! 
    Anyone know how to fix this - tried factory reset but no joy - get same message and Helix Edit can't see it now either
    Sussed it!
    Share the solution then!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717
    Cirrus said:
    Jetfire said:
    Interestingly, I just noticed that dual cabs are used in my fave player presets. I'm a mega fan of these, haven't touched my IRs since 
    Maybe a ponderous thing to add, but it's worth pointing out that the cabs are IRs too - just the ones line 6 loads and presented in a different way to the optional user-loaded ones.

The main reason I think people think of IRs as a big improvement over the cabs is just that a; the stock mic and distance choices that load up as default aren't usually what you'd pick, b; there's no quick way to scroll through options without the mic choices changing making comparison impossible and c; you can't adjust the mic position sideways to control the frequency balance. The thing I love about IR libraries is that I know what mics I like in real life, and you usually get a bunch of the same option with the mic progressively moving from centre to edge, so I can scroll through to find the frequency balance that suits.

The stock cabs are exactly as high quality, and I agree with both cabs and custom IRs that blending two different options can be a great call - with the proviso that I find static IRs to be more peaky/ resonant in the midrange than actual miked up cabs, and with two parallel IRs I think you can end up with twice as many peaks to tame in a narrow midrange band.
    Yeah, fair point. Potentially could have said "third party IRs which I paid £30 for) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cirrus said:
    @Cirrus it’s been a while since I’ve used it, what’s wrong with the RAT?
    The filter setting does some weird things as the gain goes up. Honestly it's not ruining my life, it's just a module I use loads in my presets.
    Ah okay, I hadn’t noticed! I compared the HX RAT to my 90s RAT2* a while back and there was no noticeable difference to my ears at least
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    Ah okay, I hadn’t noticed! I compared the HX RAT to my 90s RAT2* a while back and there was no noticeable difference to my ears at least
    Fear not! It was only broken a couple of weeks ago with the 3.0 update. B)
  • There is 30% off Helix Native (and all other line6 software) using code CYBER30.

Ends sometime today so don't hang around.

FYI I am confident this stacks with the discount for hardware owners so you can pick up Native for about £66. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    There is 30% off Helix Native (and all other line6 software) using code CYBER30.

Ends sometime today so don't hang around.

FYI I am confident this stacks with the discount for hardware owners so you can pick up Native for about £66. 
    It does stack, I got it for that price (though they add vat on top) last week.
  • wellsyboy said:

wellsyboy said:
    Sussed it!
    Share the solution then!
    Used the Line6 updater rather than the Helix edit - had to have a couple of goes but it worked in the end
  • got the back from line 6 if anyone is having problems

Hi,

please try to repeat the update offline and in update mode:

1. uninstall Line 6 Updater and HX Edit:
    start/ settings/ apps/ apps & features.

2. download/reinstall HX Edit 3.0 (will automatically install Line 6 Updater + driver):
    http://line6.com/software/

3. download the Helix flash memory file 3.01.

4. connect the Helix via USB to your computer. Use another USB cable/ USB port. Don't connect to an USB hub.

5. power up the unit while holding the footswitches 6+12 (until "entered update mode" appears).

6. shut down all Line 6 software including HX Edit, or any programs that use audio, like DAWs, iTunes, Spotify, video games, etc.

7. launch Line 6 Updater, do not log in, choose "offline mode" instead.

8. select the Helix, then choose the downloaded flash memory file for the update, and try to repeat the update.

If the update was successful:

9. perform a factory reset on the Helix (will delete all user presets, IR's, globals): while holding FS9 and FS10 (bottom row), turn on Helix. Wait for "Will reset Globals and restore stock Presets..." to appear and let go.

10. manually rebuild the presets afterwards:
    While holding FS10 and FS11 (bottom row), turn on Helix. Wait for "Will rebuild all Presets..." to appear and let go.
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    edited December 2020
    wellsyboy said:
    got the back from line 6 if anyone is having problems

Hi,

2. download/reinstall HX Edit 3.0 (will automatically install Line 6 Updater + driver):

4. connect the Helix via USB to your computer. Use another USB cable/ USB port. Don't connect to an USB hub.

5. power up the unit while holding the footswitches 6+12 (until "entered update mode" appears).

6. shut down all Line 6 software including HX Edit, or any programs that use audio, like DAWs, iTunes, Spotify, video games, etc.

8. select the Helix, then choose the downloaded flash memory file for the update, and try to repeat the update.

9. perform a factory reset on the Helix (will delete all user presets, IR's, globals): while holding FS9 and FS10 (bottom row), turn on Helix. Wait for "Will reset Globals and restore stock Presets..." to appear and let go.

While holding FS10 and FS11 (bottom row), turn on Helix. Wait for "Will rebuild all Presets..." to appear and let go.
    Hmm.  Why am I wondering if you didn't follow the Line 6 instructions in the first place?  Most update problems with more recent builds appear to happen because the user didn't update HX Edit first as set out in the instructions and they end up with the old HX Edit trying to talk to new firmware and it falls in a heap.  I wonder if that's what you did?

One of my regular sources of entertainment is reading about the trials and tribulations of some of our American friends after every new release.  I look on with a mixture of amusement and bemusement as they explain what they did to get themselves into the tangle they are in and how it is obvious they didn't follow the instructions. It was the case that updating Helix was a convoluted affair, in the very early days especially so, and mistakes were easy to make and understandable.  However now it is very simple indeed and yet for some reason a proportion of users are incapable of following simple instructions.  It is completely beyond my comprehension why this happens but there we are. 
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • ^ Everyone needs a hobby :mrgreen: 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Im loving the new stuff. Like a whole new unit. The Princeton is incredible, and the new fuzzes? awesome. 
  • The Xenomorph fuzz is heaven. I really really love it. We've got this new song where I do this weird fuzzy oscillation thing at the end. I was originally planning on using my Friedman Fuzz Fiend, but the Xenomorph sounds better.

The Helix continues to make itself completely indispensible for both studio and live performance. And you can quote my big hairy bollocks on that!

Bye!

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25557
    I've got plenty of other plugins but I keep coming back to the helix. Admittedly I've got 5 years experience of dialing that in, but even so, I'm very happy with the recorded sounds I'm getting.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• wellsyboywellsyboy Frets: 460
    edited December 2020
    siremoon said:
    wellsyboy said:
    got the back from line 6 if anyone is having problems

Hi,

Hmm.  Why am I wondering if you didn't follow the Line 6 instructions in the first place?  Most update problems with more recent builds appear to happen because the user didn't update HX Edit first as set out in the instructions and they end up with the old HX Edit trying to talk to new firmware and it falls in a heap.  I wonder if that's what you did?

One of my regular sources of entertainment is reading about the trials and tribulations of some of our American friends after every new release.  I look on with a mixture of amusement and bemusement as they explain what they did to get themselves into the tangle they are in and how it is obvious they didn't follow the instructions. It was the case that updating Helix was a convoluted affair, in the very early days especially so, and mistakes were easy to make and understandable.  However now it is very simple indeed and yet for some reason a proportion of users are incapable of following simple instructions.  It is completely beyond my comprehension why this happens but there we are. 
    I did follow the instructions exactly to the letter. Updated Helix Edit first then followed the update process from within the helix edit program and that’s where it all fell over.
    I solved the problem by downloading the purpose built Line6 updater app (which is different to the helix edit app) and did it that way - it still took 3 go’s but I got there in the end

I just put this up to help out anyone having the same problems as you often have to wait a few days for a reply from Line 6 - just trying to help!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    Has anyone compared the Poly Capo to a Digitech Drop yet, is it good enough to not bother with a Drop down to -2 semitones, or still worth having the dedicated unit? Seems pretty decent on the demos I've seen of it. I imagine a massive DSP hog but would probably be fine if just being used as an FX unit with a real amp. Another great feature to help justify me getting another Stomp :)  
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 644
    Not quite but I've compared the Poly Pitch to a Digitech Ricochet (which allegedly has an improved algorithm over the Drop) and whilst I haven't had the chance to try it at gig volume, it so far seems good enough to replace the Ricochet on my board. Still gonna hang on to the Ricochet until I get to try the Poly Pitch at volume though.
    As well as Whammy style effects,  I used the Ricochet to drop tune by two steps (it doesn't have a one step option like the Drop).
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 2000
    I had a quick play at TV volume which didn't sound as good. 
    Though I always find the drop sounds better louder so there's no string noise to be confusing . 
  • TTBZ said:
    Has anyone compared the Poly Capo to a Digitech Drop yet, is it good enough to not bother with a Drop down to -2 semitones, or still worth having the dedicated unit? Seems pretty decent on the demos I've seen of it. I imagine a massive DSP hog but would probably be fine if just being used as an FX unit with a real amp. Another great feature to help justify me getting another Stomp :)  
    It’s pretty close, I think the drop has a tiny bit more treble? The latency is about the same.
    I’ll have another compare later. It’s quite a processor hog tho, so don’t expect to be able to run lots of stuff at the same time. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited December 2020
    On a HX Stomp could you run the poly capo first thing, route into my usual pedals then just use the Stomp in the FX loop of my amp for a bit of basic EQ/reverb/delay? Or will it not even have the spare DSP for those extra things? 

Same for headphone practice - could you have a preset which is just poly capo > amp + cab > room reverb, or will there not be enough spare for that?