Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24897
    What a simple and brilliant idea for using a Send!

I do use my Helix as my interface but I find vocals sound better to me with my Focusrite. But I'm too lazy to continually swap them over, so I'm just using the helix.

This will solve the problem - and for whatever reason I get slightly lower latency with the Focusrite as well. Bonus all round!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1025
    Musicwolf said:
    duotone said:
    Cheers for this @JohnCordy ;
    I never knew this was possible.

https://youtu.be/wjkXtJvfMyo
    I don't usually record with my Helix, which I tends to be for live use only, but I do something similar with my Kemper which has a DI output.

With the Helix, however, I do have a couple of mono sends set up.  One at the start of the chain (as you would if you were recording a DI signal), which goes to my VoiceLive vocal processor, and one (usuall post compressor) to feed my Boss SY-300 synth pedal.

When I'm recording with the Kemper I often record a DI signal alongside the profiled sound.  As I'm normally writing the track as I record I try to get somewhere near to the right sound at the recording stage but it's very nice to be able to come back at the end and reamp.  I sometimes like to reamp the track in two passes with a couple of different amps which I can then blend together.

@Musicwolf ;
    Have done this method too now on the Helix LT. It’s working great. 

JohnCordy said:
    @duotone neither did I!! 
    Haha.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Here's a weird thing that I've not tried before -- parallel path with a condenser mic to get a blend of the acoustic sound of the guitar kind of like Tim Miller or Kreisberg might do?

• And two other weird things to try with your XLR input...

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1702
    Must be said, my favourite amps at the moment are the Badonk, the placater clean and the archetype clean and dirty. So much so that I've spent the last hour pondering tof there are any prs archons for sale
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @Jetfire the Badonk has a fantastic range of tones available - the gain can be backed all the way off and it's a nice clean too.

Good choices all round sir!
  • @Jetfire apparently the MT15 is heavily based on the Archon too, albeit much lower wattage and made in the far-east instead of US
    @Jetfire apparently the MT15 is heavily based on the Archon too, albeit much lower wattage and made in the far-east instead of US
    There's supposed to be a full size head version soon.... Im rather excited!
    Just a thought, does the Stomp have a delay between switching presets now following on from the update?
  • @Jetfire the seamless preset switching development was for full helixes only
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Can someone confirm or deny the following for the Stomp?

Snapshots are combinations of FX Blocks within a patch.

So say I wanted a 3 channel amp in a patch with some FX.

I would have to insert 3 amp blocks, clean, Crunch and high gain.

Plus whatever FX (IR's handled by CAB-M), say and EQ, delay and reverb.

I could use the Snapshots to have 2 of the amp blocks turned off at a time (one active).

But I understand the limitation is the DSP, so does a deactivated amp block load down the DSP?

Is a 3 amp patch with 2 amp blocks deactivated going To work?

Cheers.
  • @tekbow so a deactivated Amp block still uses the same amount of DSP, but if you're not using a cab or much else, you could run 3 amps potentially as you are describing, if they're not too DSP heavy. 

Snapshots work a bit differently though - so yes they can turn blocks on and off, but you can also change up to 32 parameters at a time, meaning that with the same amp block, you can set up a clean, rhythm and lead, that's how I use it!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2960
    edited February 2021
    Yeah you won't have enough DSP in the stomp for 3 amp models and IRs, FX etc in one preset. As @JohnCordy says you're best off setting up 3 snapshots with the amp/pedals set differently.
    JohnCordy said:
    @tekbow so a deactivated Amp block still uses the same amount of DSP, but if you're not using a cab or much else, you could run 3 amps potentially as you are describing, if they're not too DSP heavy. 

Snapshots work a bit differently though - so yes they can turn blocks on and off, but you can also change up to 32 parameters at a time, meaning that with the same amp block, you can set up a clean, rhythm and lead, that's how I use it!

Ah, that's encouraging. I never realised there was much past what you'd Typically find on an amp WRT controls/parameters.

It's my understanding that there's no tap tempo with snapshots, but an external tap control can be plugged in?

If I was using it for stereo FX Only with Dual amps, could I control both amps channel switching (one TRS, one TS) with it, or would that be a job for the HXFX?

Thanks for taking the time :+1: 
  • JotaJota Frets: 465
    tekbow said:
    JohnCordy said:
    @tekbow so a deactivated Amp block still uses the same amount of DSP, but if you're not using a cab or much else, you could run 3 amps potentially as you are describing, if they're not too DSP heavy. 

Ah, that's encouraging. I never realised there was much past what you'd Typically find on an amp WRT controls/parameters.

It's my understanding that there's no tap tempo with snapshots, but an external tap control can be plugged in?

If I was using it for stereo FX Only with Dual amps, could I control both amps channel switching (one TRS, one TS) with it, or would that be a job for the HXFX?

Thanks for taking the time :+1: 

You can plug an external switch for tap tempo.
    You can't do amp switching with the Stomp. Yes, the HXFX can do it.
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    tekbow said:

disclaimer - I have a floor rather than a stomp 
    Tempo can be set in Global settings to be global / per preset / per snapshot 
    global - tempo doesn't change when you change preset / snaphot
    per preset - temp will change to what's set on the preset
    per snapshot - tempo will be change to what's set on the snapshot

From my understanding, on the stomp you can set one of the footswitches to be the tap tempo/tuner
  • @tekbow with command center you can mix snapshots and also have the tap/tempo.

Do you mean virtual amp switching or literal amp switching ?
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 621
    edited February 2021
    @tekbow ;; Imagine that a "patch" is your rig that you take to your imaginary gig. It will likely contain an amp, cab and some FX. You arrive at your imaginary gig and set everything up. You adjust the controls on your amp till it sounds good and turn on your delay pedal and set it to a subtle delay so now everything is sounding sweet. A "snapshot" is exactly that - a snapshot of all your settings as they are right now.
    Now, imagine when it comes to your big solo, you want to add a drive pedal to boost the amp, turn the amp gain and volume up a bit, turn the bass control down a bit, increase the treble a fraction and crank the feedback control on your delay...in the real world, that would be almost impossible but all you do is get everything set up how you want and save it as "Snapshot 2". Now when you change from Snapshot 1 to Snapshot 2, it's like someone magically changed all the settings to how you wanted them to be and all you had to do was press one switch. You can go back to Snapshot 1 with a single press too.

Remember the imaginary rig we called a patch? If you "forgot" to bring your fuzz pedal (ie. Didn’t put it in the "patch"), you can't use it, just as if you'd forgotten to bring it to your imaginary gig.

Instead of 3 amps in a patch, you can have 1 amp but set to clean, crunch and lead settings using 3 snapshots. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2021

Yep, actual amps when I'm Using it with them. What do you mean exactly by 'mix snap shots?'

@beexter, I understand the idea of scenes and snapshots vs patches, but I didnt realise the specific amp models behaved as full amps given (for example) the helix Has three separate blocks for the SLO Ckean, Crunch and Lead.

Thanks for your time folks
  • So you can have snapshots in the same view as the Tap tempo etc.

But yeh real amp switching isn't possible with the Hx stomp except via midi out